Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

55 minutes ago, meregreen said:

That is not a “negative” mindset if taken in context with my final comment. 22 is an age when players really should be showing a little more than potential in my opinion. As I say I wouldn’t give up on him yet. Indeed at Brentford he was used in various roles, including midfield. He wouldn’t be the first to find his true worth in a different role. Gareth Barry springs to mind.Started at the back but evolved into a very accomplished midfielder. At 22 though Gareth was delivering.

Konsa’s primary position is centre back though, that is where he has played the vast majority of his career so far. I think he will turn out to be a great player for us 

With a settled team around him I think he'll do well.   In all honesty it can't be easy when the team changes on a weekly basis.  How do you get a run of form when you only get 1 or 2 games? 

13 minutes ago, dubbs said:

With a settled team around him I think he'll do well.   In all honesty it can't be easy when the team changes on a weekly basis.  How do you get a run of form when you only get 1 or 2 games? 

A good player shines regardless of who they play with, I think Konsa will prove to be excellent for us 

Not 100% in agreement SGC.  If you're surrounded by players who you don't trust you're going to try and cover for them and then mistakes are made. I do agree he'll be a good player for us. 

43 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Not 100% in agreement SGC.  If you're surrounded by players who you don't trust you're going to try and cover for them and then mistakes are made. I do agree he'll be a good player for us. 

Sounds like the Grealish thread

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Konsa’s primary position is centre back though, that is where he has played the vast majority of his career so far. I think he will turn out to be a great player for us 

We need a centre- half who instinctively attacks the ball. I can't remember the last time I  seen a real defensive header by one of ours, and that is criminal. 

I really hope we get this guy from the Turkish league, he looks a beast.

Slighty reminds me of Curtis Davies if not in the style of play but the context of buying a young central defender and expecting too much from him. I think he make have a simliar career to Davies ie a good championship defender and below par premier league defender.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

We need a centre- half who instinctively attacks the ball. I can't remember the last time I  seen a real defensive header by one of ours, and that is criminal. 

Don’t Mings and Hause do that? I think they do

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

1000% agree....on the first paragraph.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Slighty reminds me of Curtis Davies if not in the style of play but the context of buying a young central defender and expecting too much from him. I think he make have a simliar career to Davies ie a good championship defender and below par premier league defender.

Yep Davies was massively hyped when he joined us but can't say I was ever too convinced, even before he bust his shoulder. Was unlucky like the other CBs to lose Laursen when we did but he didn't step up when he played alongside Knight or Cueller. 11m was a huge amount at the time aswell, must've been our record signing.

Never played for England so it's pretty easy to label someone a future England CB but in reality only a minority of all the hyped young players become established internationals.

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Don’t Mings and Hause do that? I think they do

Mings can do that from general play.

The problem is the huge amount of goals we've conceded from set plays this season, goal we conceded in the cup final was case in point. We give Mings free reign to go and attack the ball but when he gets blocked off or loses flight of it we have no other dominant player to clear it.

Is it just bad luck SGC?

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Mings can do that from general play.

The problem is the huge amount of goals we've conceded from set plays this season, goal we conceded in the cup final was case in point. We give Mings free reign to go and attack the ball but when he gets blocked off or loses flight of it we have no other dominant player to clear it.

Is it just bad luck SGC?

I agree  with you, at the beginning of the season, Bjorn Engels looked like he was forming a potentially great partnership with Mings. I remember fondly the game againt Spurs away, they looked unbeatable with Heaton in goal too. I don’t think it is bad luck, no, some player’s form just dropped off midway through the season. I think we can get back to that early season defensive form though, do you think it is bad luck VillaChris?

43 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

If they did, then we wouldn't have the terrible goal difference we have. Ball watching at this level is inexplicable. 

I think virtually every defender in the Premier League has ball watched at some point during the season, even Van Dijk and Laporte, the best just minimise the amount they do it

I think should the worst happen and we go down he would play a big role in helping us yo-yo and come out the other side much better for it

hes had a baptism of fire this year and been ok, he’s a 3rd choice CB for a newly promoted team struggling near the bottom, I’d say he’s pretty much at that level

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think should the worst happen and we go down he would play a big role in helping us yo-yo and come out the other side much better for it

hes had a baptism of fire this year and been ok, he’s a 3rd choice CB for a newly promoted team struggling near the bottom, I’d say he’s pretty much at that level

Yep that would be a good summary for me too. He has that certain something about him, he is obviously comfortable with the ball at his feet and uses it well. He reminds me of Gary Cahill before we stupidly let him go as opposed to others we've signed. That said I do also wonder, like someone else above, if he could actually switch into MF like Barry did. 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think he’s good enough to start for us, he’s very quick and good on the ball, he does the simple thing well, he takes the minimum amount of touches, he doesn’t take unnecessary risks. He isn’t the best in the air but I think that can improve and will as he gains experience 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I agree  with you, at the beginning of the season, Bjorn Engels looked like he was forming a potentially great partnership with Mings. I remember fondly the game againt Spurs away, they looked unbeatable with Heaton in goal too. I don’t think it is bad luck, no, some player’s form just dropped off midway through the season. I think we can get back to that early season defensive form though, do you think it is bad luck VillaChris?

I meant more the inability to defend corners throughout the season although you're right we weren't too bad at them in the first two months of the season. Been very vulnerable ever since the cheap one we have away last seconjd v Liverpool.

When you're a mediocre team at premier league level you can't really afford to give cheap set piece goals away every other game and in cup finals.

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think virtually every defender in the Premier League has ball watched at some point during the season, even Van Dijk and Laporte, the best just minimise the amount they do it

Hence, their not the best. Some of our defending this season has been embarrassing. Mings, for all his so called leadership qualities, has arguably been the most disappointing. I can think of a few games where is incompetence has cost us precious points. We need a defender whose presence commands respect. Someone who inspires confidence in the players around him. And until we get a defender of that ilk, we are going to suffer. 

We have been found seriously wanting when it comes to the psychological side of the game. How could a team throw so many winning positions away?  I honestly think some of our defenders are not up to the challenge of the Premier league. 

• Like 1

Â