Tom Heaton

midian

11 minutes ago, Junxs said:

makes you wonder why we released him?, to save salary?, or that he didnt want to be 2nd choice at Villa?, but was happy to be second/third choice at Manure for more wages?

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

makes you wonder why we released him?, to save salary?, or that he didnt want to be 2nd choice at Villa?, but was happy to be second/third choice at Manure for more wages?

Think he started his career there, so is probably a fan.. meaning he'd rather sit on their bench than ours.

Personally I think he's better than Henderson and De Gae (on current form) so he probably feels he's got a good chance of being the number 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we didn't release - his contract was up and didn't want to renew. Had no chance of replacing Martinez but might have a better chance at Man Utd. 

For what it is worth, he was good for the 6 months he managed before he got injured. We certainly would not have struggled in the 2nd half if he was playing. Good luck to him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Junxs said:

Think he started his career there, so is probably a fan.. meaning he'd rather sit on their bench than ours.

Personally I think he's better than Henderson and De Gae (on current form) so he probably feels he's got a good chance of being the number 1

His family is likely to be based in Lancashire to so it all makes sense really 

9 hours ago, Junxs said:

From The Atheltic article.

Heaton said: “For me to have the opportunity to come back after spending 13 great years here as a kid, it’s an incredible feeling and I’m really, really excited to get started.

“I’m just seeing it as a fantastic opportunity as I still feel I’ve got an awful lot to give and I’ve got the bit between my teeth.

“I’m looking forward to hitting the ground running. I feel in great shape and I’m looking forward to coming in to compete with the other goalkeepers.”

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Exactly this mate. I am a little itk on this one - friend of a friend stuff - and he was devastated when we signed Martinez as he knew he was done. He lost first choice at Burnley, was thrilled to get first choice at Villa as he didn’t want to drop out of the PL, and then his bad luck that he got such a bad injury.

I imagine his agent looked around for a first-choice PL spot for him all season, couldn’t get one, and he’d rather be backup at United where he’s a fan. Good luck to him. Seems like a good guy and he’s had an unlucky couple of years. 

If he can capture his best form and his fellow Man U keepers have a hiccup or two, he could absolutely play for them. Good luck to him. 

I was quite happy with him and I think he'd still be playing for us if he didn't get injured, but obviously we upgraded significantly with Martinez. 

A minor worry is that Martinez was so good for us, partially because of the competition Heaton provided. Professionals often get pushed performance wise by playing with good opponents and colleagues. I don't know if Emi will get complacent by knowing there's nobody to challenge him, but either way no an ideal situation. 

It's also why I suspect Abraham could be a smart move. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

10 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

From The Atheltic article.

Heaton said: “For me to have the opportunity to come back after spending 13 great years here as a kid, it’s an incredible feeling and I’m really, really excited to get started.

“I’m just seeing it as a fantastic opportunity as I still feel I’ve got an awful lot to give and I’ve got the bit between my teeth.

“I’m looking forward to hitting the ground running. I feel in great shape and I’m looking forward to coming in to compete with the other goalkeepers.”

Come off it Tom, you know full well you're not going to get a sniff at first tram football, you'll just play a few cup games here and there, and only in the early rounds. 

He could have easily found a club where he could have actually played. Disappointing from him. 

24 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Come off it Tom, you know full well you're not going to get a sniff at first tram football, you'll just play a few cup games here and there, and only in the early rounds. 

He could have easily found a club where he could have actually played. Disappointing from him. 

Train Tram GIF by Karlsruher Verkehrverbund

48 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Why is it disappointing from him? He's in his last years of being a professional in his job, he's had a very decent career, and now he's going to get paid very well to be a model pro understudy. Just like Schwarzer did when he went to Chelsea. 

Not disappointed at all with Tom, he's doing what's best for him and his family. He'll probably win a trophy or two along the way.

I wish him nothing but the best, came into Villa at a very difficult time and no doubt taught a few others how to conduct yourself if you want to be at the top.

• Like 3

Â