Tom Heaton

midian

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

If fit, I'd have him over all of them, one of our weakest positions for me.

Come on now. He was a good buy and he did alright, he seems a great lad but he's 35 years old. I think we're overating him a bit now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Come on now. He was a good buy and he did alright, he seems a great lad but he's 35 years old. I think we're overating him a bit now.

If fully fit of course, Henderson and Pope might get there in time. Pickford is awful. the rest meh. Hardly a strong position for England.  

13 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

If fully fit of course, Henderson and Pope might get there in time. Pickford is awful. the rest meh. Hardly a strong position for England.  

pickford has done alright this season to be fair. but i'd 100% have heaton over either ramsdale or johnstone

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

pickford has done alright this season to be fair. but i'd 100% have heaton over either ramsdale or johnstone

Still a calamity waiting to happen any given match, decent passer though. Cannot believe Johnstone gets in to provisional squad, I fear for our euros.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Still a calamity waiting to happen any given match, decent passer though. Cannot believe Johnstone gets in to provisional squad, I fear for our euros.

Johnston is way better than Heaton. 

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Heaton was honestly pretty poor. Not a good distributor. Good for a mistake every 3 games. Not got a great save percentage either. Nor did he regularly claim crosses. 

• Like 1

The fact that a 35 year old who hasn't played a first team game in 18 months is being discussed as still being better than England's other options says more about the options than it does about Heaton. 

Heaton is a good keeper, and he did well for the 6 months he played for us (during which he got a different injury) and had we started with Steer or Nyland in goal as our #1 then we'd have shipped more goals than we did,  but he's a starter at a bottom 6/8 team at best. We missed him terribly in the second half of last season because our only available option was Nyland, but the difference between Heaton and Emi is unbelievable.

I bear him no ill wishes, but the reality is that we've had him available for about 4 months (I think he had a few weeks out with his calf around the game at Wolves?), he's 35 and we have a genuinely world class player ahead of him. Im not sad to see him go, but I do suspect we may need a better back up than Steer

Edited by StewieGriffin

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Heaton was honestly pretty poor. Not a good distributor. Good for a mistake every 3 games. Not got a great save percentage either. Nor did he regularly claim crosses. 

Honestly thought losing him had the biggest impact on our struggles last year, the team were just getting to know each other because of so many changes and he was one of the highlights, impossible to say but he may have saved us another 8/12 points and seen us survive comfortably if we had him all season.

Never been a johnstone fan, a sporadically good shot stopper at best for me.

Anyway, sounds like he's off for good and good luck to him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

the chances of the 3rd choice keeper needing to play would take a very unfortunate series of events. i wouldn't lose sleep over it.

3 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Johnstone was even worse though, has looked way out of his depth this season

Now Gollini thats a proper keeper we missed out on

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Johnstone was even worse though, has looked way out of his depth this season

Now Gollini thats a proper keeper we missed out on

I agree gollini was a real fumble. Nearly as good as emu. 

And I don't think losing Johnstone was bad either. He has been pretty decent for West Brom. It's not his fault their defence is so porous. He has made some absolutely spectacular saves this season. He's in the 65th percentile in terms of save percentage with 70.2% (Heaton was 67.7%) which means he's above average. That combined with his distribution make him a far better choice than heaton in my opinion. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He was on really high wages wasn’t he? It’s great for our FFP having him off the books so we can spend that money on other areas of the squad. 

Rumoured £40k a week

We aren't in the position yet to be paying that to a reserve keeper 

If steer steps up it frees up £2m a year for someone else 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Our squad is definitely  weaker without Heaton. He was unlucky with injuries and Martinez being phenomenal. 

He hasn't played for 18 months and is 35. You can't judge him on previous performances. If he wants to go to United to keep fit and be near his family then good luck to him.

Johnstone is a  excellent shot stopper, however his distribution is not good enough to be a top,top, player.

At the time I was gutted we couldn't buy him and he had to go to them down the road.

You could put a case he was our best keeper between Friedal and Martinez.

16 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

The fact that a 35 year old who hasn't played a first team game in 18 months is being discussed as still being better than England's other options says more about the options than it does about Heaton. 

Heaton is a good keeper, and he did well for the 6 months he played for us (during which he got a different injury) and had we started with Steer or Nyland in goal as our #1 then we'd have shipped more goals than we did,  but he's a starter at a bottom 6/8 team at best. We missed him terribly in the second half of last season because our only available option was Nyland, but the difference between Heaton and Emi is unbelievable.

I bear him no ill wishes, but the reality is that we've had him available for about 4 months (I think he had a few weeks out with his calf around the game at Wolves?), he's 35 and we have a genuinely world class player ahead of him. Im not sad to see him go, but I do suspect we may need a better back up than Steer

For me, it mostly says more about the people making those claims, because they're a fairly silly thing to claim.

He's 35, hasn't played a minute of first team football all season or kicked a ball in a first team game since a huge injury that put him out of contention for a year, and when he did play when he came back (for the U23s) he looked unsure of himself, slow to get to the ground, and overall worse than our regular U23 keeper.

There's a reason he's going to Man Utd to take on the Richard Wright-Stuart Taylor role, and not, say, being bought as a first choice by a promoted team.

Ramsdale has had a bad season, but he's fit and used to playing first team football, while Johnstone has had a pretty decent season. Not only are they far better options than Heaton, but to be honest any goalkeeper who started games regularly in the Championship would be a better option as well.

If he wasn't injured you have to think he'd be our #1 going into this summer. Bad luck for him, but it worked out nicely for Villa, I suppose. Hope he does well wherever he lands. 

Â