Tom Heaton

midian

1 hour ago, WooJung said:

Come off it Tom, you know full well you're not going to get a sniff at first tram football, you'll just play a few cup games here and there, and only in the early rounds. 

He could have easily found a club where he could have actually played. Disappointing from him. 

He had 3 major injuries and not gone through a season playing regulariy in years. He is done. He is toasted.

He's not going to come out and say I'm winding down my career my body is **** and the commute at United is nice and easy...but that's what it is.

What PL team is he starting at? What Championship team has money to spend on a keeper of his salary?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Why is it disappointing from him? He's in his last years of being a professional in his job, he's had a very decent career, and now he's going to get paid very well to be a model pro understudy. Just like Schwarzer did when he went to Chelsea. 

Not disappointed at all with Tom, he's doing what's best for him and his family. He'll probably win a trophy or two along the way.

I wish him nothing but the best, came into Villa at a very difficult time and no doubt taught a few others how to conduct yourself if you want to be at the top.

It's quite strange. Love the guy but the way people carry on here he's the second coming of Gordon Banks and not a decent keeper approaching his last 30s.

He looked really pretty bad playing for the U23s when he came back from his injury; he was a step down from Onodi.

A good keeper in his day and I have no hard feelings to him at all, but the idea we should be sad or angry at losing him is for the birds, sorry.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, AXD said:

Would we have gotten Emi if Heaton never got injured?

that injury ruined his career imo

Probably a blessing in disguise really that we managed to get Martinez.

Losing Heaton, Wesley and I think someone else in that first season really hurt us...

Wesley was looking much better and Heaton was a very reliable keeper.

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Probably a blessing in disguise really that we managed to get Martinez.

Losing Heaton, Wesley and I think someone else in that first season really hurt us...

Wesley was looking much better and Heaton was a very reliable keeper.

McGinn was out for a while

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Cup games and when emi was injured or needed for wc cups.

Olsens so bad thats why we were forced to use martinez more

Our back up keepers have played probably 10 games combined since Emi joined and one was the Liverpool game

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

How many has he had at United?

22 mins in the champions league and 2 cup appearances. Then again if you’re going to settle for being a reserve keep then you might as well be one close to where you live.

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

22 mins in the champions league and 2 cup appearances. Then again if you’re going to settle for being a reserve keep then you might as well be one close to where you live.

Would have got more than that here im certain of it

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Would have got more than that here im certain of it

I’m sure he would have, but maybe at 37 he prefers dropping his children off at school rather than 5 appearances a season for a club 2 and half hours away?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I’m sure he would have, but maybe at 37 he prefers dropping his children off at school rather than 5 appearances a season for a club 2 and half hours away?

I can absolutely understand and respect that decision, if he just wanted an easy payday without any pressure while the clock ticks down to retirement. Nobody but him gets to decide how motivated he should be by making the most of his final years.

That being said, the fact he wanted to leave to go and play for Luton suggests he might regret the decision and wish he'd played some football while he still could.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can absolutely understand and respect that decision, if he just wanted an easy payday without any pressure while the clock ticks down to retirement. Nobody but him gets to decide how motivated he should be by making the most of his final years.

That being said, the fact he wanted to leave to go and play for Luton suggests he might regret the decision and wish he'd played some football while he still could.

I think he was doing coaching too at United so maybe a coaching role at Luton

Â