Tom Heaton

midian

On 12/05/2021 at 17:56, villa4europe said:

Did his job, we stayed up last season, it's a shame he got injured, Reina came in and did his job too, both were short term fixes, glad we had him and I'm now glad we have emi 

Crazy if utd sign him though, they produce and don't use so many keepers (Inc Heaton himself obviously) maybe cash in on Henderson 

Some talk Oblak might leave Atletico Madrid so that's probably De Gea's get out move now likes of Real Madrid and PSG wouldn't want him.

Complete waste if Heaton just goes there as a number 3 given he was backup here until today.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Some talk Oblak might leave Atletico Madrid so that's probably De Gea's get out move now likes of Real Madrid and PSG wouldn't want him.

Complete waste if Heaton just goes there as a number 3 given he was backup here until today.

Nowhere for Oblak to go really

On 12/05/2021 at 18:36, M_Afro said:

Tom is and always has been fairly poor at commanding his area. Emi is first class. Tom is average at one on one’s. Emi is very good. Tom has average distribution. Emi’s is good.Not revisionism, purely observations. 

Yeah I'd probably describe Heaton as solid and a 7/10 in most aspects of the game and he was exactly what we needed on promotion given Steer picked up another bad injury and we had the Nyland comedy show for a few games either side of lockdown.

However Emi is 9/10 in those same aspects so he's simply just one of the best keepers in the whole league and easily one of best signings we've made in last 15 years.

It's actually a really good example of club having a good premier league player in one position and just going out and signing an upgrade and we further improve as a result. Hopefully we do that for a couple of the outfield positions this summer.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nowhere for Oblak to go really

There was talk of Juventus given Buffon is 63 and leaving and Sczeney was comical against Milan and dropped for last night but Juventus probably couldn't afford it if they're only in europa.

Perhaps Inter aswell with his countryman 37 in the summer and sure he'd recommend him as his eventual replacement.

Edited by VillaChris

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

There was talk of Juventus given Buffon is 63 and leaving and Sczeney was comical against Milan and dropped for last night but Juventus probably couldn't afford it if they're only in europa.

Perhaps Inter aswell with his countryman 37 in the summer and sure he'd recommend him as his eventual replacement.

Doubt either could afford Oblak or his wages since both will be selling in the summer

Happy for Heaton, going back to  Manchester United is a great move for him at his age and it will allow him to get some games in for the club he began his career with. I imagine De Gea will move on this summer which will allow Heaton to play cup games and fill in for Henderson. It's also an astute move bringing in a senior pro to aid Henderson in his development.

It's pretty mad to think that without Heaton's injury last season we would most likely not have signed Martinez this season.

He's been a good player for us, arguably one of our best performers prior to his injury last season and was a huge miss for us over the few months after. All in all a good signing albeit for the injury, even a season out of an experienced goalkeeper in your first year back for £8 million is good business if you retain your PL status on the back of it. Wish him the best of luck.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Happy for Heaton, going back to  Manchester United is a great move for him at his age and it will allow him to get some games in for the club he began his career with. I imagine De Gea will move on this summer which will allow Heaton to play cup games and fill in for Henderson. It's also an astute move bringing in a senior pro to aid Henderson in his development.

It's pretty mad to think that without Heaton's injury last season we would most likely not have signed Martinez this season.

He's been a good player for us, arguably one of our best performers prior to his injury last season and was a huge miss for us over the few months after. All in all a good signing albeit for the injury, even a season out of an experienced goalkeeper in your first year back for £8 million is good business if you retain your PL status on the back of it. Wish him the best of luck.

We won't get anything for him will we now if he goes off in summer, it's a shame but if it's to be so be it.

I would live to see steer play again, that's if Martinez is out for any reason.

I fancy Heaton.

However best for both parties if he leaves. He earns quite a lot so getting it off the books would be great.

I believe with Martinez and Steer at the back we will be adequately covered if Martinez should need a rest a game or two :) 

I really don't understand why we paid 8 million and signed him only on a two year deal. He would have commanded a transfer fee of about 4/5 million this summer given his experience. 

Heaton was unfortunate to get injured when he did, I still feel we would have gone for Emi last summer even if he hadn't. Was too good a player at too good a price not to sign him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I really don't understand why we paid 8 million and signed him only on a two year deal. He would have commanded a transfer fee of about 4/5 million this summer given his experience. 

Heaton was unfortunate to get injured when he did, I still feel we would have gone for Emi last summer even if he hadn't. Was too good a player at too good a price not to sign him.

I'm sure there would have been a 1 year option on that deal that could have been taken up, but once we had Emi, there was no point. 8mil was a relatively small outlay  anyway. 

He won't kick a ball for them 

But after the year he's just had maybe that's part of the appeal, semi retirement, not sure if it's a move closer to home, decent wages, probably good bonuses, do his badges 

Good move for him, he was almost a great move for us, if he hadn't got injured he would be thought of as one of the reasons we stayed up, £8m for that wouldn't be questioned 

• Like 2

De Gea looks to be off and Henderson seems to make a clanger every game.

Personally I think he's going there to be the main keeper not sit on the bench

• Confused 1

Â