Tom Heaton

midian

Didn't  actually realise he is back and playing for the reserve. Obviously his knee injury was not quite as bad as Wes's one esp when you take into account he is about 10 years older.

Do you think he will go out on loan in Jan to get game time or our we happy for him to be number 2? We have too many keepers on the books.  Heaton would be one we could actually sell for a bit of money (4-5 mi maybe)  even though he is in his mid 30s.

On 20/12/2020 at 15:13, The Fun Factory said:

Didn't  actually realise he is back and playing for the reserve. Obviously his knee injury was not quite as bad as Wes's one esp when you take into account he is about 10 years older.

Do you think he will go out on loan in Jan to get game time or our we happy for him to be number 2? We have too many keepers on the books.  Heaton would be one we could actually sell for a bit of money (4-5 mi maybe)  even though he is in his mid 30s.

We've outgrown him.

Heaton is a good shot stopper and is good at catching crosses. But he's main weakness has always been distribution and doing that sweeper keeper role.

Emi is superior to him in every field. Emi highlights what a modern keeper should be.

Heaton was vital for us staying up but it's now time for both parties to move on.

On 20/12/2020 at 14:13, The Fun Factory said:

Not sure where he can go from here tbh. 34 years old and 3 seasons of being in and out. I think it would take a lot for a manager to take on a senior goalkeeper with his record now. Managers want consistency between the sticks and a 34 year old on big money and serious questions Mark's against fitneds is probably not worth the trouble.

Shame.  He was a good pick up and what we needed , was worth the punt but football is cruel sometimes. It waits for no man.

I think he should reevaluate and maybe will look to being a career No.2 now and start his coaching.

Having an Argentine and an English goalkeeper... both who have been called up to their respective international sides... as our first and second choice keepers is a very nice problem to have.

Heaton will need some time to get back up to speed... but Martinez will know that there is a more than capable keeper to step in if he has a bad run of form or injury...

There will be opportunities for Heaton to play, and I reckon Martinez will be happier (and possibly a better player) for such a high standard of direct competition

On 23/12/2020 at 14:58, TheStagMan said:

I would rather we kept Heaton as backup - If anything happens to Emi, then we are back in trouble. Get rid of the others in our Keeper collection.

I agree, but very difficult to keep a keeper of his quality, and age happy as a number 2.

I'd be incredibly surprised (and delighted) if he is here beyond the summer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Traitor,  going on sky tonight and saying that the rule is the rule, effectively agreeing that the scam of an FA interpreted it correctly. 

What? Heaton, you're dead to me!

jet li GIF

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Think I'd like him to go on loan for 6 months in the championship and get some form and fitness back, come and fight for the jersey next season or move him on without making too much of a loss. 

On 25/12/2020 at 02:24, Lord Willard said:

We aren't in a position to be paying 40-50k a week for a second choice keeper. I also don't want to hinder his career. Loan or sale please. 

Steer is fine as second choice. 

Personally I'm happy with the club paying his wages and have him as back up to Emi. We need strength in depth.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Personally I'm happy with the club paying his wages and have him as back up to Emi. We need strength in depth.

Yes, though he moved to Villa because he didn’t want to stay as second choice elsewhere and we could offer first team football at the time.  

Not sure if he’ll be happy staying second choice for long.

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes, though he moved to Villa because he didn’t want to stay as second choice elsewhere and we could offer first team football at the time.  

Not sure if he’ll be happy staying second choice for long.

Heaton is what we needed last season but we've now outgrown him. Time for him to go 

Â