Tom Heaton

midian

15 minutes ago, Rodders said:

So, what happens to Tom now? I think sadly we will never seem play for us again as he has done absolutely nothing wrong for us aside from get injured. He left to join us because he was a number 2 at Burnley. Ok, we're a bigger club, but he won't be hanging around. Off in January? He might even put in a transfer request to leave this window.

Having 2 top top keepers is what we should aspire to and follow that up throughout the squad, that's the journey we're on now and Tom should want to be a part of that, seems we have an incredible dressing room full of good characters, he stays and happy to do so IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/09/2020 at 13:41, rbcuk said:

Can’t see him dislodging Martinez for the number 1 spot, it’ll be like at Burnley when pope got in front of him

Which is why he left Burnley for more playing time, with the injury’s  he’s been picking up I imagine he has a chance of prolonging his career by being a no2 keeper, but will he be happy with that? All the same he’s an absolute pro and no doubt will try and push Martinez 

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Which is why he left Burnley for more playing time, with the injury’s  he’s been picking up I imagine he has a chance of prolonging his career by being a no2 keeper, but will he be happy with that? All the same he’s an absolute pro and no doubt will try and push Martinez 

and if he does want to stay and push Martinez?

We, as a club, can only benefit from it!

45 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

and if he does want to stay and push Martinez?

We, as a club, can only benefit from it!

Like I said in the post he’s a pro and no doubt he will push Martinez 

• 4 weeks later...

good to see him back...how lucky we are to have a back up of his quality. feel bad that a player of his ability is unlikely to get a look in this season, but that's the life a keeper chooses i guess.

hopefully we go on a decent cup run so he gets a good number of minutes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Be good to see him start a few in the FA Cup but arguably that should be Steer's position?

Tough call but Heaton will need games.

if he's fit i would start him in cup games. (Heaton)

Hopefully then one of two things can happen, he is ok with cup/sub/cover appearances (assuming Martinez continues performing as he is), or it puts Heaton in the shop window for Jan or the summer of he wants to leave for a guaranteed no1 spot.

either way he's getting some game time, after all, he is better than steer.

It’s unfortunate where Heaton finds himself, but that’s how it goes in sport sometimes.......and in life! The way the season is panning out I’d like to see Villa play their strongest lineup as often as is possible, and that includes FA Cup games. And so unfortunately for Heaton I’d really want to be seeing Martinez playing in all games, his distribution in particular is way above Heatons and is proving integral to our counter attack capabilities, and he is generally much better with the ball at his feet. He’s simply a better all round goalkeeper. Sorry Tom.

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Does he automatically go on to the bench when fit? I wonder what will happen to Steer. It's a weird career goalkeeping. Steer must only have played 2 seasons of football.

What's interesting is that Steer has played more career games than Emi Martinez and they're the same age. There's still time for Steer to have a good career, at least as a championship level keeper. 

yeah i think steer probably needs to move on...heaton is coming to the end of his fine career so probably OK with a season on the bench. i suspect we'll see steer leave next summer or even jan. definitely good enough for the championship, i don't see him being a PL keeper though

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2020 at 04:01, tomav84 said:

yeah i think steer probably needs to move on...heaton is coming to the end of his fine career so probably OK with a season on the bench. i suspect we'll see steer leave next summer or even jan. definitely good enough for the championship, i don't see him being a PL keeper though

I don’t think this is true on Heaton. Heaton left Burnley to be a first choice. His issue now is which other PL club would take him? I see him leaving (probably for a low price) to a newly promoted team next summer. Wonder if anyone would take him on loan in Jan to try to get six months and play himself into the Euros squad? That’s what his agent will be working on.

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t think this is true on Heaton. Heaton left Burnley to be a first choice. His issue now is which other PL club would take him? I see him leaving (probably for a low price) to a newly promoted team next summer. Wonder if anyone would take him on loan in Jan to try to get six months and play himself into the Euros squad? That’s what his agent will be working on.

He would walk into Sheff Utd for the remainder of the season if he wants 1st team footy.

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I agree I’d pick him over Ramsdale but I’m not sure they would after spending £18.5m on Ramsdale.

heaton is twice the keeper ramsdale is but agreed they wouldn't drop him

everton maybe? i'd have him over pickford

Â