Tom Heaton

midian

1 minute ago, sne said:

Were you responding to something else?

I said it's unusual that keepers that old moved for this big money and he submitted a list that showed that it's almost unprecedented that keeper that old moved for this big money :D 

Yes but those figures are pretty old. £8m now was probably £2m back when a lot of those transfers took place. I don’t think £8m makes him expensive in the present market. I’m sure we’d have liked him for less, but you can’t always get your way. He’s a quality GK and another leader in the squad. For a goalie 33 isn’t ancient, you can knock 4 or 5 years off in comparison to outfield players if he’s kept himself right. 

• Like 1

Heaton will be a great addition.

This signing has so many positives and, in my opinion, only one minor negative, and that’s the fee.

The positives are obvious: He’s a proven Prem keeper, a great shot stopper, will add experience which we currently lack, he can organise defences well (of which ours is pretty young), there’s no need for a ‘settling in period’ and we’ll have a solid keeper for 2-3 years, maybe more, depending on how he declines with age.

The only negative to me is that £8m seems a lot for a 33-year-old keeper with one year on his contract that is not wanted by his current club. Even in today’s inflated market, I’d have thought that £4-5m would have been about right, when you consider all the factors (including the fact that goalkeepers are generally cheaper). But hey ho, as I said, a minor negative, in my opinion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm asking you point you are making with:

I mean, who cares? 

I'm not having a dig. I'm asking a question. 

Well pretty much that £8m for a 33 y.o keeper is a lot of money and that I hope the contract isn't too long and expensive since he's already had 1 major shoulder injury.

I also think that the keepers have great careers until they are 35-40 is a bit of a myth, it's extremely rare.

We've also been burned by this kind of deal before with Given.

I'm not stating this is a bad deal, I've hardly watched him play other than against good teams and he's been hit and miss. Think short term it's a solid deal.

Has 3 England caps apparently, a 3 min cameo against Australia and 2 45 min appearances in friendlies against France and Spain.

Edit: Not trying to be mean but apparently he shipped 4 goals in those 2 45 min friendlies. Didn't see either game but his England caps might not be something to put any weight on.

Edited by sne

1 minute ago, supermon said:

at £8 million this is pretty excessive for a 33 year old, i think £4-£5 million would have been a better reflection.  Just hope we see some outgoings now.

We've spent 120 odd million quid. I don't think this £8m is going to be the tipping point.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ve also been very successful with Friedal. Wasn’t he 37 when we signed him?

Yeah, hope it goes like that one.

13 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yes but those figures are pretty old. £8m now was probably £2m back when a lot of those transfers took place. I don’t think £8m makes him expensive in the present market. I’m sure we’d have liked him for less, but you can’t always get your way. He’s a quality GK and another leader in the squad. For a goalie 33 isn’t ancient, you can knock 4 or 5 years off in comparison to outfield players if he’s kept himself right. 

See Shay Given.

Still outstanding for us even at 38.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ve also been very successful with Friedal. Wasn’t he 37 when we signed him?

I loved Friedal. The last solid commanding keeper we have had for a long time.

We've not really had anyone like him since really, hopefully that changes now though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, supermon said:

at £8 million this is pretty excessive for a 33 year old, i think £4-£5 million would have been a better reflection.  Just hope we see some outgoings now.

4-5m for one of the best keepers in the Premier League, and a rivals club captain?

What planet are you on?

• Haha 1

Regarding the £8m fee, there's a few things that need to be considered:

• We are buying the captain of a direct rival
  • Homegrown quota has value
  • We are buying a player at his peak rather than potential, it costs a bit more
  • We are paying his value to us, not to Burnley, very much like the Mings Deal

I think this is a good deal, he's a good keeper, good positioning, good decision making and a clear leader.

I think Butland was first choice, but Stoke have played silly sausages, so we've decided to wait it out and bring in known quality for the meantime, then if Stoke fail to get up we'll grab Butland at a discount price. I think another benefit of the deal is what Heaton will bring in for Jed Steer and the other keepers at the club, training with an experienced and driven guy like Heaton can only help their development.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

See Shay Given.

Still outstanding for us even at 38.

U mean Freidel right?

Given was absolute gash.

Played 5 games in total for us after his first season

• Like 3

Those Burnley fans are a bit gutted, and I think I would be too. He’s been their PL talisman for a while now, and saved their season this year. 

They are a bit deluded though, as they seem to think we’re a relegation rival... they obviously haven't heard of a little player called Aaron Tshibola! 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, sne said:

That's a lot of money for a 33 y.o

Hope it's not a too long and expensive contract.

Not many player or even GK's that maintain a high level at that age.

The whole GK's can keep playing until they are 40 is a bit of a myth IMO.

Except for Buffon who was the best keeper of his generation I can't think of many who have not dropped significally in quality once they've reached 33 or so

Cech, Casillas, Neuer...

Handanovic is still good, but not as good.

Statistically, Fabianski was the best keeper of the entire Premier League last season. Boruc had a good end of season at Bournemouth although he is 79 years old. 

Good Keepers can still do it at older age.

£8m is nothing in today's market and if this transfer gives us more cash to land the rumoured record buy new striker then I'm all for it. 

It all feels like a plan coming together..

• Like 1

Â