Tom Heaton

midian

Only risk with this is that he's not going to be behind a Burnley defence now. He won't have 8 Orcs sat right in front of him for most of the game, it'll be a high line defence and he'll be expected to play a lot with the ball.

If he does basics very well though, then this is a good move. He's much better than Steer. Don't know what's gone on with Kalinic.

• Haha 1

At £8million pleased with this. Even if we only get 2/3 years out him he will set us up nicely in a key position. It is always good to see other teams fans being gutted at losing a player to us :lol:

Will probably mean one of Kalinic/Nyland out of the door, main suspect being Kalinic. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I am a fan of Steer, but before the tail end of last season no Villa manager really rated him and he was only recalled from loan once Kalinic was injured. 

Happens in Ice Hockey a good bit that a reserve keeper hits a serious hot streak. Can happen in football but not as regularly. Manninger at Arsenal was awesome when Seaman was injured one season 

For all Jed's heroics, namely the finger tip Rodriguez save in the home semi final, the penalty shoot out at The hawthorns and the calm handling in the closing stages at Wembley, I still have a nagging doubt that he is not quite at the level we need him to be.

Heaton is an established premier league goalkeeper and most definitely an upgrade and I think it is the one position where being the wrong side of 30 doesn't concern me, not for 8 million and as others have alluded to, we can replace again in a couple of years.

I trust Neil Cutler's experience in coaching and I am sure he is a better judge than all of us, so if he feels Heaton is the right man for us that's good enough for me.

Good Luck Tom 👍

I don't think Heaton was our #1 target but if it is him, fine. I see the sense in it as he's literally a safe pair of hands as we find our long term number 1.

Maybe the 10 -15m extra for Butland can go towards Benrahma and Maupay.

Really happy with this one. It gives us a couple of years to bring in a young keeper for a realistic fee, I still think we will sign Butland but either when his contract is up or when Stoke lower the fee next Summer.

The Burnley fans comments from http://www.uptheclarets.com/ are pleasing to read.

Absolutely brilliant business if true.

For Villa.

They get an absolutely top class keeper at the peak of his powers for a fraction of what they'd pay for similiar quality elsewhere. 

There's a reason that Heaton is in demand and we cant shift Hart.

I’ll say it now, and you are welcome to ridicule me next year if I’m wrong and I really look forward to ridicule as it will mean we’re still in the top flight.

If we sell Heaton to Villa they will stay up and we will go down. 

Heaton is the glue that binds the defensive unit and if he goes he will do that for Villa instead of us. Pope being injured is a worry, and if that means Hart starts, then we’re in the same situation as last season where it will take a massive hit before SD puts Pope back in when he’s fit. Pope has proved he is a worthy replacement for Heaton, and if he starts the season for us we may be OK.

Selling Heaton to Villa will be a massive mistake.

Best keeper at the club and captain. No coincidence our upturn in form was when he got back in the team. I get the argument he’s 33 but think this is a bad bit of business especially selling to a rival.

• Like 2

This is excellent business. £8m is far cheaper than I thought we'd spend on Heaton.

We really need a good Number 1 so I'm thrilled by this.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Let's not forget that Heaton leaving also massively weakens a relegation rival. Burnley stats last year first half of season were shocking. 

Heaton returning in January literally saved them and improved dramatically

Not sure it really weakens Burnley at all - unless Pope gets injured again. Heaton/Pope is 1a/1b, with Hart the clear #3. Pope was out injured for all that time period too.

Pope is younger and was given a 5 year contract recently. Burnley selling Heaton is them picking Pope as their number one.

Just now, Cizzler said:

Not sure it really weakens Burnley at all - unless Pope gets injured again. Heaton/Pope is 1a/1b, with Hart the clear #3. Pope was out injured for all that time period too.

Pope is younger and was given a 5 year contract recently. Burnley selling Heaton is them picking Pope as their number one.

Pope is injured again.

• Haha 2

Excellent. I like Steer, and I think he will play a bit too, but Heaton is proven and at 33 is still much younger than Friedel when he joined, and he was great for us, so he can be a good asset. 

I just hope this isn't a Shay Given deal where we get 1 year and are forced to pay for another 3 or 4.

Very vary of signing old players on big contracts, especially since he's had a bad shoulder injury.

Short term I'm fine with it, just hope the contract a smart one for us.

35 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Only risk with this is that he's not going to be behind a Burnley defence now. He won't have 8 Orcs sat right in front of him for most of the game

You'd think he'd never have to make any saves then...

Solid signing. Not everyone can be a £20m signing - allows us good experience for 2 years or so and then kick on and spend big cash on a Butland type. 

This summer has been mental 

Edited by StewieGriffin

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I just hope this isn't a Shay Given deal where we get 1 year and are forced to pay for another 3 or 4.

Very vary of signing old players on big contracts, especially since he's had a bad shoulder injury.

Short term I'm fine with it, just hope the contract a smart one for us.

I doubt we will be giving him a 5 year deal. Imagine 3 with maybe an option

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I doubt we will be giving him a 5 year deal. Imagine 3 with maybe an option

See I still think that's too long, depending on the salary of course.

1+1 or 2+1 tops for me.

Getting a keeper with this amount of Premier League experience for 8m quid is a great bit of business. 

Right now our back 6 is looking strong:

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

Luiz

Â