Tom Heaton

midian

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

If we did originally bid between 4 and 5 million, it would have been knowing that Burnley were hoping for £10m and both clubs would settle around the £7m to £8m mark. I believe that’s how most negotiations work.

My point was in response to OP saying what planet am i living on regarding a £4-£5 bid, if Villa are prepared to go in for that offer then it doesn't seem totally unreasonable in the first instance 

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Very good signing. A very good keeper in his prime, with proven ability at Prem level. We've probably slightly overpaid, but at £8m it's neither here nor there.

Kalinic will be on his way you'd assume.

If Burnley fans think £8m is too low and Villa fans think it’s too high, so perhaps it’s about right. Given the current market and Heaton’s proven ability and experience, in a position where it is near vital, I don”t believe a fee of £5m or less was realistic. £10m would have pleased Burnley’s owners a little too much, so anything around the middle seems fair. As freaky as it sounds, gone are the days when £1m was worth discussing, even on VT, surely?

Just now, supermon said:

My point was in response to OP saying what planet am i living on regarding a £4-£5 bid, if Villa are prepared to go in for that offer then it doesn't seem totally unreasonable in the first instance 

My point was that it is common to start negotiations with an unrealistic offer. Of course Villa would have snapped their hands off if £5m had been accepted but it appears they are happy to pay the more realistic sale price of £8m.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It's not the age I have issue with, it's the injuries. 

I rate Heaton very highly, remember watching him regularly a few years ago and deciding there aren't many better shot stoppers around. (Personally think Butland is slightly better)

Thing that concerns me with Heaton is that he has had some injuries in the last couple of years, we saw with Given he wasn't the same after the injuries set him back.

Yes goalkeepers can play on into late 30s, but only if they aren't plagued by injuries.  On that basis I'm finding it hard to get too excited as part of me wanted the younger better Butland

I think most people, myself included wanted Butland, but from what we've heard Stoke moved the goalposts and asked for way too much. I don't think we should be held to ransom and clearly neither do the owners, don't be surprised if we are back in for Butland next summer and if Stoke don't go up I imagine the price will be far more reasonable.

Heaton is a more than capable stop gap and at a reasonable price, seems like good business to me.

• Like 1

Stoke have priced Butland out of a move and it seems were possibly unwilling to negotiate, so I can't argue with the club not wanting to be taken to the cleaners.

Signing Heaton will give us a solid, experienced keeper and it will also weaken Burnley. For the money we have got ourselves a bargain.😊

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Someone got out of bed wrong this morning?

There is no problem in expressing opinions.. equally some of us are not seeing what all the fuss is about. You'd think we had just splashed £25m on him with some of the reactions.. okay that's probably a touch of Hysteria there..  but it's not as bad as people are making out imo. Debate is good and no one is saying it's not.

The sign all the players stuff is light hearted bantz that is reflecting the crazy transfer window we are witnessing. It's an on running joke that has been posted by many posters in the threads over this window - again, all tongue in cheek stuff.

But my point is that it's not a debate, is it?

Anyone (of which there are many) that has just posted, without quoting or replying to someone, 'what's all the fuss about the fee?', is not entering into a debate, they're just questioning why people are questioning a fee. Even though it's pretty obvious why people are raising a minor negative about the fee.

I've not gotten out of the bed wrong. It just grates me that people can't express a reasonable opinion about a fee without effectively being told they're wrong or hysterical.

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but my point is I don't think we'll suddenly have to have some outgoings to cover the extra £4m seeing as we've already spent 120 odd million.

It's like buying a car and a magazine and blaming the magazine purchase for you having no money.

This inadvertently reminded me of the old castlemaine advert -

53 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Which is fair enough so long as those same people take the time to appreciate that isn't how markets work. We can't just tell Burnley what price they must sell him at, we have no leverage in this situation. They have something we want and we must pay what it costs to get it. 

If it's either that or £20m to Stoke for Butland, which gives us more flexibility moving forward this summer?

So would you say that no-one has ever overpaid or underpaid for a player, because the price that is accepted by the selling club is their correct worth?

The £20m for Butland argument is a different question entirely. There could be an alternative Premier League keeper that would cost less than Heaton, which would give us more flexibility this summer.

Why are a couple of handfuls of posters expressing that they think we've overpaid getting so much stick?

Outstanding business. He has been in the England squad as recently as the Nations League finals last month! Worth it just to say we have an England international on the books again. Soon to be joined by Super Jack and Tyrone...

14 minutes ago, brommy said:

If Burnley fans think £8m is too low and Villa fans think it’s too high, so perhaps it’s about right. Given the current market and Heaton’s proven ability and experience, in a position where it is near vital, I don”t believe a fee of £5m or less was realistic. £10m would have pleased Burnley’s owners a little too much, so anything around the middle seems fair. As freaky as it sounds, gone are the days when £1m was worth discussing, even on VT, surely?

Don't get me wrong I'm not quibbling over the fee at all, £8m for an England international GK in his prime in this market is very good. I think if you asked Villa for a realistic price on him they probably would have said a little lower than £8m, but as said it's neither here nor there - we've spent over £100m, an extra million or 2 isn't worth worrying about. This is a good deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Very happy with this. What's he like on the deck? He'll need to be comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Wondered that myself.  Hard to know, Burnley didnt exactly play out from the back.

Â