Tom Heaton

midian

14 minutes ago, supermon said:

at £8 million this is pretty excessive for a 33 year old, i think £4-£5 million would have been a better reflection.  Just hope we see some outgoings now.

I can't believe folk are kicking up a fuss over £8m beans. It's the new £3m. 

It ain't our money so **** it.. sign all the players.. spend all the monies!   :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

U mean Freidel right?

Given was absolute gash.

Played 5 games in total for us after his first season

because Paul Lambert was afraid of senior players. Was one of our best players under McLeish and did well on that run to FA Cup final before the actual final

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

because Paul Lambert was afraid of senior players. Was one of our best players under McLeish and did well on that run to FA Cup final before the actual final

He still had great reflexes but he literally didn't move, at all. 

Doubt he could reach the cross bar if he had managed to jump, which he didn't.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

U mean Freidel right?

Given was absolute gash.

Played 5 games in total for us after his first season

Friedal aswell, but he came in - Given was solid in that season, especially in our FA Cup run.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

One positive of signing Heaton is that it puts the keeper signing to rest and let's us move on. We can now move on and concentrate with other signings now, like a striker- Maupay please now 😁.

• Like 1

Great move.
Good keeper, experienced, and in todays market, a good price - plus he's 'homegrown' from a squad perspective.

The Friedel/Given comparisons are inevitable - but Given was very good for us for a year - it's just that some prick gave him a 5 year contract at 35.
This guy is 33 (so 2 years younger than Given) so a 3 year deal with an option is fine with me.
Friedel was 37 when he joined, and he moved to Spurs 3 years later!

I understand that the likes of Butland might make more long term sense, being younger, but I am not convinced he is better than Heaton, and we can't just keep spending (can we?) and saving £12m on a keeper might allow us to buy that additional striker we all seem to think we need.

1 minute ago, gordy said:

Really not sure on this. Why spend 9 mil on Heaton on 1 maybe 2 year contract?

Butland or Ethridge would be better options at 20 mil for longer contracts and younger keepers

Not at this present time they wouldn't.

We already have enough young inexperienced keepers. 

Very very pleased.

Heaton is a significantly better Keeper than Steer ( who I like, and who will be fine as Number 2).

This purchase will save us at least half a dozen Points this Season. The Fee is ( therefore) effectively irrelevant, as is his Age.

Great stuff.

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I loved Friedal. The last solid commanding keeper we have had for a long time.

We've not really had anyone like him since really, hopefully that changes now though.

Personally Bosnich was my most fav keeper,  but I get what your saying, Fred was a very good keeper for us.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It ain't our money so **** it.. sign all the players.. spend all the monies!   :D

People are expressing their opinion on part of a rumoured transfer. Most people have given some reasoning as well. I don't know why so many people are kicking up a fuss at others questioning a fee. 

The whole 'it ain't our money' line is bollocks. It isn't our money, but we all know that our new, savvy owners will have set limits on what we can spend, and therefore if the argument is that we've spent 2-3m over, that will have been 2-3m that we could have put towards another potential signing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Absolutely this.

If he helps keep us up then it's money well spent. It's that simple. He's an obvious upgrade on Steer, adds experience to a relatively inexperienced side and is by all accounts decent at organising a defence. 

Maybe this is a stop-gap signing and we're planning on getting Butland in a couple of years once his contract runs out? 

Absolute no brainer at the cost £8m. 

Edited by PieFacE

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Friedal aswell, but he came in - Given was solid in that season, especially in our FA Cup run.

Number of games played and goals conceded says different but we digress.

Hope Heaton works out, short term I think this will be good.

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Personally Bosnich was my most fav keeper,  but I get what your saying, Fred was a very good keeper for us.

Yep, Bosnich was our most solid before Friedal. Can't think of many good ones in between.   Obviously we had Schmeichal and James etc. But Bosnich was great until he f****d himself.

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

People are expressing their opinion on part of a rumoured transfer. Most people have given some reasoning as well. I don't know why so many people are kicking up a fuss at others questioning a fee. 

The whole 'it ain't our money' line is bollocks. It isn't our money, but we all know that our new, savvy owners will have set limits on what we can spend, and therefore if the argument is that we've spent 2-3m over, that will have been 2-3m that we could have put towards another potential signing.

Which is fair enough so long as those same people take the time to appreciate that isn't how markets work. We can't just tell Burnley what price they must sell him at, we have no leverage in this situation. They have something we want and we must pay what it costs to get it. 

If it's either that or £20m to Stoke for Butland, which gives us more flexibility moving forward this summer?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Someone got out of bed wrong this morning?

There is no problem in expressing opinions.. equally some of us are not seeing what all the fuss is about. You'd think we had just splashed £25m on him with some of the reactions.. okay that's probably a touch of Hysteria there..  but it's not as bad as people are making out imo. Debate is good and no one is saying it's not.

The sign all the players stuff is light hearted bantz that is reflecting the crazy transfer window we are witnessing. It's an on running joke that has been posted by many posters in the threads over this window - again, all tongue in cheek stuff.

Â