Tom Heaton

midian

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Number of games played and goals conceded says different but we digress.

Hope Heaton works out, short term I think this will be good.

Over a long period for us, he was shit. I agree with you all day, but he had that one stand out season with us when he was 38. What I mean is that if Heaton apply himself then there is no reason why he couldn't go on and have another 3 or 4 seasons too.

Sorry, I don't seem to be expressing my posts very well this morning.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

because Paul Lambert was afraid of senior players. Was one of our best players under McLeish and did well on that run to FA Cup final before the actual final

Is that Lambert who promoted Given to one of his assistants after Karsa and Culverhouse were sacked? 

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

Is that Lambert who promoted Given to one of his assistants after Karsa and Culverhouse were sacked? 

well it showed how much of a clown he was  when he was desperate. 3 months later he recalled Hutton after 2 years in exile and then gave him a new and improved 4 year contract after about 5 games

The best think about getting Heatton is we arent signing Butland.  A massively overrated player imo.  

At 33 Heatton will get another 2 years and then he can be back up.  Win win at 8mill.

Heatton is an excellent keeper by the way, much better than Butland.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We've spent 120 odd million quid. I don't think this £8m is going to be the tipping point.

I get that but i'm sure there was a reason why we originally went in for £4, based on reports, seems a more true reflection of his worth considering age

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

4-5m for one of the best keepers in the Premier League, and a rivals club captain?

What planet are you on?

So when we originally bid that amount was that just for shits and giggles? 

• Like 1

David James was first choice keeper for Citeh between the ages of 34 to 36 and then went on to play several years at Portsmouth. 

The world is littered with keepers playing at the top of their game till late 30s.  The age is not a problem, and people really have to get their heads around transfer fees.  £8m is not too much to pay for anyone anymore. It's bonkers but there it is. 

The Hollywood saves are whatever they are for me, I want a keeper who dominates the box and clears out crosses and corners.  For me that is the bread and butter a keeper needs to be great at and something we have been missing for years in my opinion. 

If he doesn't put 30% of goal kicks out for a throw in that would be nice too. 

This looks a great deal to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

The world is littered with keepers playing at the top of their game till late 30s.  The age is not a problem, and people really have to get their heads around transfer fees.  £8m is not too much to pay for anyone anymore.

Yes. Gianluigi Buffon still remains my favourite to this day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, supermon said:

I get that but i'm sure there was a reason why we originally went in for £4, based on reports, seems a more true reflection of his worth considering age

Yeah but my point is I don't think we'll suddenly have to have some outgoings to cover the extra £4m seeing as we've already spent 120 odd million.

It's like buying a car and a magazine and blaming the magazine purchase for you having no money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but my point is I don't think we'll suddenly have to have some outgoings to cover the extra £4m seeing as we've already spent 120 odd million.

It's like buying a car and a magazine and blaming the magazine purchase for you having no money.

lol fair enough I didn't mean it that way, just meant it would be good to see some outgoings cos we have a few players that won't feature.  Wasn't worried about the books 😄

• Like 1

Just now, supermon said:

lol fair enough I didn't mean it that way, just meant it would be good to see some outgoings cos we have a few players that won't feature.  Wasn't worried about the books 😄

Ah yeah that's fair.

Still think we could see Kalinic going. Seems like there was something not quite right with him. Hasn't settled most likely.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, supermon said:

So when we originally bid that amount was that just for shits and giggles? 

If we did originally bid between 4 and 5 million, it would have been knowing that Burnley were hoping for £10m and both clubs would settle around the £7m to £8m mark. I believe that’s how most negotiations work.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, gordy said:

Really not sure on this. Why spend 9 mil on Heaton on 1 maybe 2 year contract?

Butland or Ethridge would be better options at 20 mil for longer contracts and younger keepers

Heaton will get a 3-4 year contract I'm pretty sure. Friedel got a 3 year deal when he signed.

It's not the age I have issue with, it's the injuries. 

I rate Heaton very highly, remember watching him regularly a few years ago and deciding there aren't many better shot stoppers around. (Personally think Butland is slightly better)

Thing that concerns me with Heaton is that he has had some injuries in the last couple of years, we saw with Given he wasn't the same after the injuries set him back.

Yes goalkeepers can play on into late 30s, but only if they aren't plagued by injuries.  On that basis I'm finding it hard to get too excited as part of me wanted the younger better Butland

• Like 1

Very good signing. A very good keeper in his prime, with proven ability at Prem level. We've probably slightly overpaid, but at £8m it's neither here nor there.

Kalinic will be on his way you'd assume.

• Like 1

Anyone know how good he is with the ball at his feet?

Pre season seems to show that we will look to play from the back and Steer has had a few iffy moments....the rule change on goal kicks (with players no longer having to be outside of the box) will also bring added pressure on goalies as opposition players will be right on top of them.

Can only assume he’s got a good range of passing else if struggle to see why we’d be signing him.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Anyone know how good he is with the ball at his feet?

Pre season seems to show that we will look to play from the back and Steer has had a few iffy moments....the rule change on goal kicks (with players no longer having to be outside of the box) will also bring added pressure on goalies as opposition players will be right on top of them.

Can only assume he’s got a good range of passing else if struggle to see why we’d be signing him.

According to Whoscored that is one of his strengths.

Long passing that is.

His other is concentration apparently.

For more detail we'll have to wait for the Mails Football Manager piece :D 

Â