Tom Heaton

midian

42 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Can opposition players go in the penalty box for goal kicks now? I assumed it was just teammates. 

Anyway happy with this, although I'm a big fan of Steer and wouldn't have minded him playing either.  

I'm not actually 100% sure but opposition players will be in the box and on top of the keeper much more quickly either way I think - and in fact I think we've seen it at times in the pre-season games.

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Opposition players still have to start outside the box, but if the goal kick fails to clear the penalty area, they are now allowed to dash in and collect it before it leaves the area.

Can opposition players ‘dash in’ to the area the moment Heaton (on topic😉) kicks the ball? If so, unless our defender is close to our keeper, sorry, Heaton, our defender could be under pressure in a second or two.

Not sure if it's this Heaton deal or the Nakamba deal but from what I was reading there are 500k worth of add ons on the deal also.

6 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I seem to remember that when the 'press' were saying we bid £4-5m for Heaton, Dyche came out the next day and stated in no uncertain terms that they'd received no bids.

I'm not convinced we started the bidding that low.

Good point :thumb:

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I agree that model exists, but its usually for older keepers like 36+ 

Theres still 3 years before Heaton is classed and an 'old' keeper. 33 is absolute prime for a keeper imo

In my opinion, 33 used to be prime for keepers but the game has now moved on somewhat and that prime age is coming down.

For example there were only 3 keepers older than Heaton in the Premier League last season that you could consider first choice: Cech, Foster and Fabianski.

Cech lost his place by the end of the season.

The game is much quicker now, agility and reaction time are essential.

We have different opinions, that's fine :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

Can opposition players ‘dash in’ to the area the moment Heaton (on topic😉) kicks the ball? If so, unless our defender is close to our keeper, sorry, Heaton, our defender could be under pressure in a second or two.

Yes, but the defender will be standing literally next to the six-yard box. Have you watched the friendlies? It makes it incredibly easy for the keeper. Edit: sorry, it makes it incredibly easy for Tom Heaton 😉.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

In my opinion, 33 used to be prime for keepers but the game has now moved on somewhat and that prime age is coming down.

For example there were only 3 keepers older than Heaton in the Premier League last season that you could consider first choice: Cech, Foster and Fabianski.

Cech lost his place by the end of the season.

The game is much quicker now, agility and reaction time are essential.

We have different opinions, that's fine :)

You got a point there, but the first season or two when establishing the team in the league i think its crucial to have proven seasoned goalkeeper without relegation on hes cv. 

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Is a good keeper going to make the difference between relegation and staying up? Definitely.

Is Heaton better than Steer? Yes.

So is it a good transfer at £8m? Damn right it is!

.... I'm not sure what the fuss over price is all about.

Dont put Steer down, certainly wouldnt surprise me if Steer made it extremely difficult for Heaton.

What we all going to do if Steer manages to keep Heaton out the team, maybe really think is it worth wasting money on keepers.

Steer has been one of my favs last season and I wonder if he will do the SteeAre to any keeper that comes waltzing on in as if they think the keeper position is already there's, would be hilarious if Steer does that to Heaton.

Yeah that's what I'm calling steer's stare, the SteeAre.

https://www.facebook.com/SoccerAM/videos/1291762834305380/

^^^Holgate looked so terrified lol^^^

Edited by Dave-R

2 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

You got a point there, but the first season or two when establishing the team in the league i think its crucial to have proven seasoned goalkeeper without relegation on hes cv. 

I agree, his experience will be very useful. The point I was trying to make is that after a season or maybe two Heaton will be phased in to being back up for a younger keeper, junxs believes it would more like when he's 36 plus.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

When you've seen how said player plays in the league you're in for 2+ seasons, I'd say it's valid to have an opinion on it, yes.

Like everyone else who's questioned the fee, I'm happy with Heaton as a signing, and I've said there are countless positives to the addition. It's just a minor negative, in my opinion, as I think a player of his age, position, contract length and 'surplus to requirements' status at his current club should cost less than £8m.

However, I will add, that if this is the way the market is going now, then (if we stay up for a few seasons), I look forward to seeing us bringing in similar figures for players in the twilight of their career when we don't want them anymore. Essentially this means that if a player is still good enough for the league, you should never let their contract run out.

Often a player improves or declines in form, gets injured after a good injury record or remains uninjured after a recently poor record (fingers crossed for Mings!), so initial posts such as ‘bargain’ or ‘overpaid’ can only be mere guesses at what is to come for the player’s Villa career, would you agree?

In Heaton’s case, I think the vast majority would agree that £5m or less was not going to happen, so somewhere in between £6m and £9m was realistic. Regarding the difference of up to a couple of million from what Villa might be paying, it seems trivial to guess whether 1 or 2% of this summer’s transfer budget might represent value or not.

If Heaton plays very well in the PL for a couple of seasons or more, £10m would have been a bargain. If his form drops significantly or he misses many games through injuries, we’d have overpaid at £5m. I’m looking forward to waiting and seeing.

Just hope they are really, really thorough with the medical this time and don't rush anything.

That shoulder injury scares me.

No idea if it's the same guys who handles the medicals and stuff that it was when we signed Richards and botched Kozak's recovery.

21 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yes, but the defender will be standing literally next to the six-yard box. Have you watched the friendlies? It makes it incredibly easy for the keeper. Edit: sorry, it makes it incredibly easy for Tom Heaton 😉.

Decided to give you a haha for keeping it on topic, but would like to like your post too.

Definitely easier for the Heaton, but I suppose it could but the defenders under pressure. Hopefully Dean and his team have chosen defenders up to the job as the rule change could feature heavily in game tactics.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Just hope they are really, really thorough with the medical this time and don't rush anything.

That shoulder injury scares me.

No idea if it's the same guys who handles the medicals and stuff that it was when we signed Richards and botched Kozak's recovery.

You do realise he has played half a season after the injury and been as athletic as ever?? 

Check out the 2019 best saves highlight reel, doesn't look to have an issue with agility whatsoever 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

You do realise he has played half a season after the injury and been as athletic as ever?? 

Check out the 2019 best saves highlight reel, doesn't look to have an issue with agility whatsoever 

I do realize that, thanks.

Might as well skip the medical then?

Would be strange then as Marvelous has had 6 already.

Â