Matt Targett

villan-scott

Looked superb, involved in a couple of the goals, decimate upgrade on Taylor.

Targett looks so comfortable on the ball, someone mentioned a stat that he played the third most passes behind Grealish and someone else for villa?, insane.

1 hour ago, Stockport_Villain said:

No doubt he’s very good offensively compared to Taylor but he’s not had to defend against much in those games. Let’s see what we think after the next three games.

We had to defend a lot today to be fair but I agree.

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

They both should have been in every game available, was stunned at Tottenham when the team came out. Strange error from the gaff, usually top notch with his selection.

For all Elmo and Taylor faults, would have been crazy to start season with a complete new back 4 and goalkeeper

12 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Solid defensively yesterday but excellent going forward, gives a proper outlet and really gets involved at every opportunity. Wesley will benefit massively from having him in the team.

Everyone will.

• Like 1

I thought Neil Taylor had really stepped up and that Targett was going to have to wait quite a while for his chance. Then Targett played, and I realised the gulf in quality. Taylor was a decent Championship player who 'stepped up' to being a very good Championship player. Targett is a Premier League quality player and that really shows.

Taylor is good backup IMO, but falls short of the quality we require in a starting 11.

6 minutes ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

I thought Neil Taylor had really stepped up and that Targett was going to have to wait quite a while for his chance. Then Targett played, and I realised the gulf in quality. Taylor was a decent Championship player who 'stepped up' to being a very good Championship player. Targett is a Premier League quality player and that really shows.

Taylor is good backup IMO, but falls short of the quality we require in a starting 11.

I would have agreed with this until I saw how much better we look with Targett in the team and also how bad Taylor was against Burnley.  

I think Taylor is at his best (which is just about adequate) when he is a regular.

Playing as a number 2 and he seems to turn to shit. We saw the same under Bruce. 

edit: its like I said in pre season. If everybody hopes he never has to play then he isn’t even good enough as a number 2. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

edit: its like I said in pre season. If everybody hopes he never has to play then he isn’t even good enough as a number 2. 

That's a very fair comment.

We are not in a position to have 22 starting quality players though. Competition in every area of the pitch is fantastic but we also need to be realistic with our squad expectations.

I think over time we will develop the squad, but for a first season back with survival as the target, I think Taylor is... adequate. For now. I think there are more important areas we will need to strengthen in January, especially as Hause is capable at left back also.

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me if Taylor himself didn't think he was going to start the season and it actually took some pressure off him so he played unexpectedly solidly for the first few games.  No doubt Dean was going to phase Targett in at roughly the same time as Guilbert but he had a couple of injury issues at the wrong moments.  Eventually Taylor's inadequacies started to show to the point where Jack especially had no confidence to pass it to him, rendering the left half of our attacking play completely ineffective.  Hopefully Targett stays fit for a decent spell and we can pick up a left footed Guilbert from Europe in January as back up.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2019 at 17:52, Johnnyp said:

Southampton caught us with our pants down here.

18 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Very clever footballing brain. Stands out a mile. Always makes himself available and in passing range of the man with the ball. Not afraid of the ball either.

Never change VT, never change :D 

• Haha 4

Â