Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Surprised people saying he didn't get enough of a chance, he started every single game for us pretty much up to the injury so that was about 20 games and he was rarely subbed so loads of minutes there. As we know Sanson has barely had a chance but Wes had five months of regular starts which surprised me given he was very unproven at top level but Davis was as usual injured and DS decided Kodj wasn't good enough for premier league so we had little option.

His level was about Kozak standard really, poached a few goals but his overall game wasn't that good for prem level so in time he'd have just reverted to a backup squad option which may have already happened if Davis hadn't picked up another injury just when he was on the verge of starting.

Shame the injury has basically killed off his top level career.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Surprised people saying he didn't get enough of a chance, he started every single game for us pretty much up to the injury so that was about 20 games and he was rarely subbed so loads of minutes there. As we know Sanson has barely had a chance but Wes had five months of regular starts which surprised me given he was very unproven at top level but Davis was as usual injured and DS decided Kodj wasn't good enough for premier league so we had little option.

His level was about Kozak standard really, poached a few goals but his overall game wasn't that good for prem level so in time he'd have just reverted to a backup squad option which may have already happened if Davis hadn't picked up another injury just when he was on the verge of starting.

Shame the injury has basically killed off his top level career.

He scored what was it, 7 in 20? If he’d kept up that average he’d have been at around 13/14 goals by the end of the season and logic would suggest that he’d have gotten better as the season went on and as he acclimatised further to the league.

He was superb in the Burnley game up to the point of his injury, said it before but it looked like the penny had dropped in terms of him being more physical and not going to ground so often. Who knows what he could have gone on to achieve if he hadn’t had his career ruined but it is what it is.

• Like 2

I went to Olot v Levante a couple of weeks ago in the Spanish cup. I was thinking to myself "bloody hell, Levante have a right unit up front for them". It was only when he got closer that i saw he had 'Wesley' on his back. I couldn't believe it. He was playing up alongside Soldado but didn't score in a 4-0 win against a team in the division below. 

In the car on the way back i put the radio on and the first thing I heard was the manager defending Wesley's lack of goals. Poor old Wes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Was an awful player pre injury. You could tell almost instantly. 

Touch terrible, no physical strength, no pace. There was nothing that made him a Premier league player. 

I don't think his touch was terrible at all. Although in most games, he was poor, but that was one hell of a poor side he was playing in.

He's not the type of player who will win games on his own, but he did have some good attributes.

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He scored what was it, 7 in 20? If he’d kept up that average he’d have been at around 13/14 goals by the end of the season and logic would suggest that he’d have gotten better as the season went on and as he acclimatised further to the league.

He was superb in the Burnley game up to the point of his injury, said it before but it looked like the penny had dropped in terms of him being more physical and not going to ground so often. Who knows what he could have gone on to achieve if he hadn’t had his career ruined but it is what it is.

6 goals and 1 assist in 22 games.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Was an awful player pre injury. You could tell almost instantly. 

Touch terrible, no physical strength, no pace. There was nothing that made him a Premier league player. 

Are you just going to ignore his Balon d’Or winning performance against Burnley?…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

He played a lot more than you think based on his appereaces alone. For example, he had more minutes for us than Rudy Gestede did for us back then and no one argues Gestede should’ve been given more time.

To this day Wesley still has 2 and a half times more minutes than Davis has for us in the PL.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He played a lot more than you think based on his appereaces alone. For example, he had more minutes for us than Rudy Gestede did for us back then and no one argues Gestede should’ve been given more time.

To this day Wesley still has 2 and a half times more minutes than Davis has for us in the PL.

We didn't pay £22m for Gestede though

On 05/12/2022 at 11:21, Demitri_C said:

Because how many managers have we had here? None of them have wanted to keep him.

He has been on various loans and flopped

So not sure why you can't see that?

That is because has has been a crock for 3 years.

He showed flashes of promise and now we will never know because of that assault by Mee.

He is finished, I just hoped he saved most of his wages and sensibly  invested. He could have a comfortable life and never work again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

This was back in 2015 though so got to take inflation into account. Apparently we paid 6m for gestede. Top championship strikers go for way more than 6m nowadays.

Like Scott Hogan and that Scottish person we got from Fulham 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

On 06/12/2022 at 12:32, Adbo9 said:

ill never ever agree with this........ Ben Mee just made a last ditch tackle that you see every game at every level - was just unlucky that his knee buckled...... 

Are scissor tackles legal?

Regardless of whether the ball is won, a two-legged tackle or 'scissor' challenge is generally considered to constitute serious foul play and hence result in a sending-off.
  • Like 2

He could have been a good player for us. He was taking a big step up in quality of league and was moving from a dominant team to a promoted side, he was always going to have a hard time of it at first. Plus he had his own play style issues that would need to be developed for a more physical league (the classic South American diving for example). But he had the physique for it and he had a bit of skill and quality to build and develop. He could have been a solid PL striker.

Sadly he got assaulted by a thug and that's his career over. That injury was appalling and it's remarkable he's even being paid to play at all now, let alone at a decent level. Suspect he'll retire when the contracts up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/12/2022 at 12:32, Adbo9 said:

ill never ever agree with this........ Ben Mee just made a last ditch tackle that you see every game at every level - was just unlucky that his knee buckled...... 

rooney-ferries.gif

11 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

Are you just going to ignore his Balon d’Or winning performance against Burnley?…

"He was well on his way to turning the corner and become the new R9"

...about 1000 minutes of dross and a good 25 against Burnley.

Â