Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

9 hours ago, Follyfoot said:
Are scissor tackles legal?

Regardless of whether the ball is won, a two-legged tackle or 'scissor' challenge is generally considered to constitute serious foul play and hence result in a sending-off.

Everyone praising that Harry Souttar tackle during thr WC, but it was ropey as that was.

23 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He played a lot more than you think based on his appereaces alone. For example, he had more minutes for us than Rudy Gestede did for us back then and no one argues Gestede should’ve been given more time.

To this day Wesley still has 2 and a half times more minutes than Davis has for us in the PL.

And two and a half as many goals. 

On 06/12/2022 at 12:32, Adbo9 said:

ill never ever agree with this........ Ben Mee just made a last ditch tackle that you see every game at every level - was just unlucky that his knee buckled...... 

It was a red card offence and he should have sent off for seriously foul play, it was not last ditch, the word removed had history doing it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

The mockery of his performance vs Burnley is sad especially considering some defended more high profile Villa failures more intensely.

He played well that day and we changed system and it looked like a corner might have been turned. We never know what would have happened but Wesley could easily ave given up and taken a payout and deserves respect for fighting back trying to rebuild his career not mockery he gets from some

He was also an absolute monster against Everton at home as well. He destroyed Yerry Mina that game.

He was very composed when finishing. But he did lack a natural striker's instinct to get on the end of crosses etc.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The mockery of his performance vs Burnley is sad especially considering some defended more high profile Villa failures more intensely.

He played well that day and we changed system and it looked like a corner might have been turned. We never know what would have happened but Wesley could easily ave given up and taken a payout and deserves respect for fighting back trying to rebuild his career not mockery he gets from some

Also looked good against Norwich home and away, Everton at home, Man United away and Newcastle at home that season. Considering that's over 1/4 of the games he played for us in a new league and new country in a shit side I'd say he was actually doing pretty good. 

As you say, the mockery he gets on here from most is depressing considering what we had up front in the preceding 3 years to that (Tammy aside) and his injury since. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Thanks 2

I don't know how anyone can single him out as being so much worse than the rest of that team that barely managed to stay up. We were absolute garbage for much of that season. I remember sitting at the West Ham game (0-0 I think?) being genuinely fearful of our survival chances, we were SO bad. And we barely improved all season. That season he showed flashes of brilliance on occasions, and also stank the place out on others. Much like the rest of the squad. I'm not saying he'd have pulled up trees, I just think 90% of the squad were absolutely cack that year too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

I don't know how anyone can single him out as being so much worse than the rest of that team that barely managed to stay up. We were absolute garbage for much of that season. I remember sitting at the West Ham game (0-0 I think?) being genuinely fearful of our survival chances, we were SO bad. And we barely improved all season. That season he showed flashes of brilliance on occasions, and also stank the place out on others. Much like the rest of the squad. I'm not saying he'd have pulled up trees, I just think 90% of the squad were absolutely cack that year too. 

I look back at that season and I have no idea how we stayed up. Watford at home was brilliant though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

Also looked good against Norwich home and away, Everton at home, Man United away and Newcastle at home that season. Considering that's over 1/4 of the games he played for us in a new league and new country in a shit side I'd say he was actually doing pretty good. 

As you say, the mockery he gets on here from most is depressing considering what we had up front in the preceding 3 years to that (Tammy aside) and his injury since. 

And he was good during the Arsenal game too. Thought he did okay against Brighton at home. 

As I’ve said before he went from good to ridiculously bad at times and the fans remember mainly the ridiculously bad. 

On 07/12/2022 at 12:18, Laughable Chimp said:

He played a lot more than you think based on his appereaces alone. For example, he had more minutes for us than Rudy Gestede did for us back then and no one argues Gestede should’ve been given more time.

To this day Wesley still has 2 and a half times more minutes than Davis has for us in the PL.

Gestede is another decent example, he scored what about 6 prem goals for us by end of January in that terrible prem season yet everyone knew by them how limited he was with all around game and he never was even that effective for us in the championship which surprised me.

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I look back at that season and I have no idea how we stayed up. Watford at home was brilliant though.

Up to about December we weren't that bad but was the classic case of being newly promoted and not really believing enough in games. 2-1 up at 10 man Arsenal and then imploding and losing. That late loss to Liverpool was a huge blow as we were picking up decent results at the time and we also led at Old Trafford and at least dug out a point.

Can also remember us very convincingly beating Newcastle at home around that time. Then we lost 1-4 at home to Leicester, Mings tried to play on with a hamstring injury and things went down from there bar the odd result right up to lockdown.

Could we have done more with a more experienced CF? I think so as McGinn started that season very well (best he's looked at prem level for us) and Grealish took a few weeks to get into the groove but he was looking at home in the prem.

Stick Danny Ings into the promotion winning team and I think we'd have comfortably stayed up but guess we didn't have enough about us to attract an experienced prem striker back then. It really should've been a must once Tammy went back. We could've still signed a Wesley type as alternative. To lose Wes and then have to play El Ghazi and Trez upfront for 2-3 games was just poor squad building.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Gestede is another decent example, he scored what about 6 prem goals for us by end of January in that terrible prem season yet everyone knew by them how limited he was with all around game and he never was even that effective for us in the championship which surprised me.

Gestede had 5 league goals all season and 3 by New Years Day. Wesley was a lot better

• Like 1

On 07/12/2022 at 03:06, bannedfromHandV said:

He scored what was it, 7 in 20? If he’d kept up that average he’d have been at around 13/14 goals by the end of the season and logic would suggest that he’d have gotten better as the season went on and as he acclimatised further to the league.

He was superb in the Burnley game up to the point of his injury, said it before but it looked like the penny had dropped in terms of him being more physical and not going to ground so often. Who knows what he could have gone on to achieve if he hadn’t had his career ruined but it is what it is.

It was 6 goals, but one was against the Liverpool kids and one was against bottom of the league Norwich squad players on painkillers

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Up to about December we weren't that bad but was the classic case of being newly promoted and not really believing enough in games. 2-1 up at 10 man Arsenal and then imploding and losing. That late loss to Liverpool was a huge blow as we were picking up decent results at the time and we also led at Old Trafford and at least dug out a point.

Can also remember us very convincingly beating Newcastle at home around that time. Then we lost 1-4 at home to Leicester, Mings tried to play on with a hamstring injury and things went down from there bar the odd result right up to lockdown.

Could we have done more with a more experienced CF? I think so as McGinn started that season very well (best he's looked at prem level for us) and Grealish took a few weeks to get into the groove but he was looking at home in the prem.

Stick Danny Ings into the promotion winning team and I think we'd have comfortably stayed up but guess we didn't have enough about us to attract an experienced prem striker back then. It really should've been a must once Tammy went back. We could've still signed a Wesley type as alternative. To lose Wes and then have to play El Ghazi and Trez upfront for 2-3 games was just poor squad building.

Everton away when they got late equaliser...I thought it was game over then.

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Everton away when they got late equaliser...I thought it was game over then.

I thought we were done when Spurs did us last minute...another game we were leading but didn't believe we could win and eventually lost to Son 94th minute goal.

Just shows what can happen when you add a bit more experience in your team with 20/21 as we were generally far better seeing games out when winning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I thought we were done when Spurs did us last minute...another game we were leading but didn't believe we could win and eventually lost to Son 94th minute goal.

Just shows what can happen when you add a bit more experience in your team with 20/21 as we were generally far better seeing games out when winning.

That Engels mistake still haunts me. And probably him. Effectively ended his career here. 

• Like 1

Â