Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Wesley is a good different option but as back up to Watkins I think he's poor. 

He can't do anything that Watkins can. We'd have to completely change the way we play if Wesley starts games.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Wesley is a good different option but as back up to Watkins I think he's poor. 

He can't do anything that Watkins can. We'd have to completely change the way we play if Wesley starts games.

Which begs the question why on earth did we buy him in the first place?  I can see him taking the Davis role when he’s back to full fitness , the ideal scenario would be having a more or less like for like backup to Ollie but easier said than done.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not sure there is one aspect of Wesley’s play that is better than Watkins’

And that’s before the busted knee.
I doubt he’s the first player ever to come back from this injury better than before.

36 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Which begs the question why on earth did we buy him in the first place?  I can see him taking the Davis role when he’s back to full fitness , the ideal scenario would be having a more or less like for like backup to Ollie but easier said than done.

It was a strange purchase. So many of our signings were kind of odd when we got promoted. Engels, Trezeguet, Wesley, Nakamba etc. 

They’re all limited with their ability so fair play to Smith for keeping us up and improving on that. 

We definitely need to steer clear of that 5-12m unknown bracket this time around and focus on genuine quality we know will command a starting place in the side. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It was a strange purchase. So many of our signings were kind of odd when we got promoted. Engels, Trezeguet, Wesley, Nakamba etc. 

They’re all limited with their ability so fair play to Smith for keeping us up and improving on that. 

We definitely need to steer clear of that 5-12m unknown bracket this time around and focus on genuine quality we know will command a starting place in the side. 

All our signings this season seen to have been well thought out to fit into the system opposite to the ones last season but saying it that Smith has improved and worked well with every player at his disposal bar 1 or 2

19 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

All our signings this season seen to have been well thought out to fit into the system opposite to the ones last season but saying it that Smith has improved and worked well with every player at his disposal bar 1 or 2

I'd argue that to be the case except the signing of Traore. 

Well pleased as to how the club is run atm. Pretty sure we'll keep improving, and Deano is key in this. Pleasure watching the club doing pretty much everything right. 

• Like 1

Wesley offers us something different to Watkins, which is good to have in the squad. It’s also why we don’t really need Davis as well as Wesley.

However I wouldn’t say Wesley is a backup for Watkins. The high press game that Watkins plays is not something Wesley will do, which is why we need another striker like Watkins that will run all day and press. Challenge will be that he has to not mind being backup so will probably be young, and the bigger problem is actually finding another player like Watkins. Luckily I’m not a scout.

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Engels, Wesley and Nakamba were signed as part of our Belgium contingent I believe. Maybe more that I'm missing. Pretty sure we had some scout in that league.

It would be interesting to try and decompose who exactly were mainly responsible for which group of signings. I mean it would be purely speculative, but I think we can make some decent guesses. 

Brentford Boys(Probably Smith)

Konsa, Watkins, Jota.

Belgium Connections(Suso?)

Engels, Wesley, Nakamba

Championship loans(Smith?)

El Ghazi, Mings, Hause

Chelsea loans(Probably Terry)

Drinkwater, Barkley

Commercial signing(Suso?)

Trezeguet, Samatta

Underrated PL players

Heaton, Targett, Martinez

French connections(Lange?)

Sanson, Traore

Emergency Loan(Could be anyone really)

Baston, Reina

I don't believe all our players were actually signed with a view to how they would fit in the team, Wesley being the prime example. I think our signings are mostly trying to find good, underrated players and trying to fit them into our team. At most, it would be the Smith signings who I expect would be most suitable to how he wants the team to play. 

I also would say whoever is responsible for the Championship loans signings is probably responsible for the underrated PL players group too considering both Mings and Hause were underrated PL players too.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I worry if he has a part to play tomorrow and performs poorly, a lot of people will jump on his back.

I don't think they will. 

I was very critical of him last year but I'm excited to see him as an option. I think fans will be patient with him because we have Watkins. There's no pressure on Wes to be the saviour we unfairly needed him to be last season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think they will. 

I was very critical of him last year but I'm excited to see him as an option. I think fans will be patient with him because we have Watkins. There's no pressure on Wes to be the saviour we unfairly needed him to be last season.

See i was very supportive and patient with our Wes last season, but I do feel one has to go in Wesley or Davis and we all know that Wesley is capable of scoring way more than Davis. Davis isn't the level of a midtable an up premier team, jury is still out on Wes. 

If I were Villa I wouldn't extend Davis anymore as I'm sure his one year deal is up isn't it or soon is? 

8 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

See i was very supportive and patient with our Wes last season, but I do feel one has to go in Wesley or Davis and we all know that Wesley is capable of scoring way more than Davis. Davis isn't the level of a midtable an up premier team, jury is still out on Wes. 

If I were Villa I wouldn't extend Davis anymore as I'm sure his one year deal is up isn't it or soon is? 

I like Davis but agreed, he has to go. I'd loan him out to the championship and tell him to prove us wrong and force himself to be our back up striker the following year. 

I do wonder if Davis would have gone on loan earlier and we've held him back. First year we only signed Wes and needed him and with Wes getting injured and Samatta being poor we had to keep him in the squad again last season. 

I'm 100% confident we sign another striker this summer 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Engels, Wesley and Nakamba were signed as part of our Belgium contingent I believe. Maybe more that I'm missing. Pretty sure we had some scout in that league.

It would be interesting to try and decompose who exactly were mainly responsible for which group of signings. I mean it would be purely speculative, but I think we can make some decent guesses. 

Brentford Boys(Probably Smith)

Konsa, Watkins, Jota.

Belgium Connections(Suso?)

Engels, Wesley, Nakamba

Championship loans(Smith?)

El Ghazi, Mings, Hause

Chelsea loans(Probably Terry)

Drinkwater, Barkley

Commercial signing(Suso?)

Trezeguet, Samatta

Underrated PL players

Heaton, Targett, Martinez

French connections(Lange?)

Sanson, Traore

Emergency Loan(Could be anyone really)

Baston, Reina

I don't believe all our players were actually signed with a view to how they would fit in the team, Wesley being the prime example. I think our signings are mostly trying to find good, underrated players and trying to fit them into our team. At most, it would be the Smith signings who I expect would be most suitable to how he wants the team to play. 

I also would say whoever is responsible for the Championship loans signings is probably responsible for the underrated PL players group too considering both Mings and Hause were underrated PL players too.

Engels was definitely a Smith signing. Brentford were looking to buy him some time before Smith joined us. 

There was a lot of excitement about Wesley's return but now it seems like people think he doesn't have much of a future with the club. What have I missed?

21 minutes ago, maqroll said:

There was a lot of excitement about Wesley's return but now it seems like people think he doesn't have much of a future with the club. What have I missed?

Oh The Drama GIF by MOODMAN

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

Nothing too much....just people don't quite think he'd be capable of starting 15 games in a row if Ollie got a Jack type injury next season.

I'm fine with loaning out Davis, basically giving Wes that role and signing a better backup CF and looking again at how it's all working out in January and maybe he gets loaned out then.

• Like 1

Â