Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Loaning him out for me would be a strange one. We need another striker regardless if he stays or goes. If the intention is to bring in Tammy then I can see a loan deal happening, but that's a big if imo. 

Why would we loan him out? Makes no sense to me really. That'd leave us again with Watkins & Davis, the latter of whom should be the one going out on loan IMO.

Wesley either needs to be our main backup striker or else we should be selling, I've no idea why we'd do a club like PSV a random favour by handing them one of record signings for a year when we're already light up front.

Of course the picture changes if we sign a Tammy or similar, but I'd be surprised if we splash out big cash on another striker with creative mids/wingers the priority. Also would hope we'll sign another full back and a proper midfield enforcer.

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Why would we loan him out? Makes no sense to me really. That'd leave us again with Watkins & Davis, the latter of whom should be the one going out on loan IMO.

Wesley either needs to be our main backup striker or else we should be selling, I've no idea why we'd do a club like PSV a random favour by handing them one of record signings for a year when we're already light up front.

Of course the picture changes if we sign a Tammy or similar, but I'd be surprised if we splash out big cash on another striker with creative mids/wingers the priority. Also would hope we'll sign another full back and a proper midfield enforcer.

Obviously it hinges on us buying another striker, which I'm sure we would if loaning out Wesley is the plan. Don't want either Wesley or Davis to be our second choice striker next season.

For me I think Wesley needs as much football as possible to get fitter, get his confidence level up and frankly to learn to be a more skilled player. Sure he would score goals in one of the top teams in the Dutch league and then we could decide after that where to go.

Having missed almost a year and a half of football I think he needs more minutes than he'll get by playing second fiddle to Watkins. And with that injury I doubt any team would be willing to gamble on buying him for a fee anywhere close to what we would ask.

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Bottom line - perhaps those at the club don't think he is good enough.

Given his goals record and recent injury -its difficult to see anyone stumping up a fee - therefore a loan seems the most likely option. 

13 hours ago, romavillan said:

Playing in the current Villa team and playing in the one he played in are two very different things though. Lots of the players that struggled then have since improved massively. Wes has not been given that chance yet as he had that clearing in the woods Ben Mee mash his knee up for him. Could still turn out to be very important for us, he might not as well but he should be given the chance so we can all find out.

Targett, Luiz, Trezeguet and Konsa weren't doing great at that time and Nakamba and Hause got better as well

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hippo said:

Bottom line - perhaps those at the club don't think he is good enough.

Given his goals record and recent injury -its difficult to see anyone stumping up a fee - therefore a loan seems the most likely option. 

His goal record better than Timo Werner. How much would werner go for now? 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

His goal record better than Timo Werner. How much would werner go for now? 

Id still take werner over wesley.

You can see Werner is a really good player despite his poor goal return

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Targett, Luiz, Trezeguet and Konsa weren't doing great at that time and Nakamba and Hause got better as well

Was just about to type out something similar to this. A lot of our players who took time to settle last season have been brilliant this season, unfortunately the injury to Wesley means we haven't been able to see whether the same applies to him.

Next season will effectively be his proper second season so maybe we should see how he gets on and hopefully he will have fully settled and can show an improvement the same as the likes of Targett and Konsa!

He is nowhere near Watkins level. 

So how can it be justified keeping him on? This isn't charity business. We need a striker who can actually challenge and compete with Watkins. 

That's how we improve, and that's how we get to the next level. 

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He is nowhere near Watkins level. 

So how can it be justified keeping him on? This isn't charity business. We need a striker who can actually challenge and compete with Watkins. 

That's how we improve, and that's how we get to the next level. 

What do you mean keeping him on? You wanna sell him? Loan him out?

Just now, villalad21 said:

Sell him. Davis as well probably. 

We wouldn’t get a third of what we paid for him. That’s terrible business. You have to develop the asset before you sell, otherwise we’re literally just spunking money down the drain.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We wouldn’t get a third of what we paid for him. That’s terrible business. You have to develop the asset before you sell, otherwise we’re literally just spunking money down the drain.

Sometimes you just have to take the L when there is nothing to develop. 

Can't polish a turd. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Can't polish a turd. 

But there is absolutely nothing to gain. We’d be financially better off if we put him in the reserves and never played him. He’s on around £60,000 per year, which is £3M per year. So we could have him on the payroll for the rest of his contract (til 2024) and we’d still be financially better off than selling him for half his value. Plus he might then come good.

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Can't polish a turd. 

Well you say Bielsa is doing it all season 🙄

• Like 2

He’s a decent finisher 5 goals in 21 appearances last season in a much poorer performing  team was ok, he has obvious flaws to his game but we might as well continue developing him it’s unlikely we recoup what we paid for him but he can be 2nd or 3rd choice for the foreseeable future strikers don’t come cheap even backup ones.

Wesley scored a goal every 3.8 games. Watkins scored one every 2.3 games. In a much better team that scored 30% more goals. In a country he is from and had experience playing in. When I say Wesley is an unbelievable alternative, I mean we play with a lone striker, and our other striker is a Brazilian international, who has not had a chance to show what he can do after his injury.

I think some people in this thread are just stanning the idea of Wesley being rubbish and wanting get rid without thinking about why or the alternatives, and there isn't even a logical thought to go along with it anymore.

#Wexit

• Like 4

2 hours ago, YLN said:

Wesley scored a goal every 3.8 games. Watkins scored one every 2.3 games. In a much better team that scored 30% more goals. In a country he is from and had experience playing in. When I say Wesley is an unbelievable alternative, I mean we play with a lone striker, and our other striker is a Brazilian international, who has not had a chance to show what he can do after his injury.

I think some people in this thread are just stanning the idea of Wesley being rubbish and wanting get rid without thinking about why or the alternatives, and there isn't even a logical thought to go along with it anymore.

#Wexit

Looking forward to him being fully fit as hes quite a unit now. Could be a real handful. Hope he comes back stronger. 

Â