Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

That England Cameroon match was bizarre.

Cameroon decided they wanted to rough up England, which is an approach of course many teams use, but then they lost it and it descended into farce. You can't just protest if you feel hard done by (which, to make it worse, they weren't). The ref lost control of things, VAR made the right decisions (mostly - England probably should have had a penalty and there should have been a red at the death for an ankle breaker, I can only assume the ref felt sorry for Cameroon or was worried about a riot so overruled it...) but again the implementation is completely bust. Cameroon disgraced themselves.

Not a good example of the women's game at all.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, a m ole said:

looked to me like the keeper was pushing it out with both hands instead of claiming it, not sure about that one

Oh, I completely agree with that - I don't think it was a foul either but I'm pretty sure that the foul on the keeper was given and not handball.

• Like 1

What is the difference between VAR in the mens and womens World Cup?  I don't recall many issues in the mens?  England got a couple of pens if I remember from fouls on corners.  I don't recall VAR been involved as much as the womens though?

33 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I was also thinking this. Why even bother having assistants flag for offside? Just leave it, wait for the outcome and then review it. If it is offside and no goal is scored then the defending team takes possession and the status quo is basically the same. 

A thought just occurred to me after the Brazil equaliser.  We know that the 'keepers of the game' like to bang out about how it's the "same game as what gets played at the world cup final as it is on the parks on a sunday morning" (by which I mean when the area secretary decides to berate me because the parks team I'm watching happens to have turned up with mismatched shorts) - perhaps this is all part of a plan to invert that trope and end up with Sunday league style assistant referees who only get to decide on which team gets awarded a throw in and leave everything else for the ref.

4 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

What is the difference between VAR in the mens and womens World Cup?  I don't recall many issues in the mens?  England got a couple of pens if I remember from fouls on corners.  I don't recall VAR been involved as much as the womens though?

I think it's a combination of some new rules being enforced and the officials being worse.

Not sure there is any VAR issue. Refs could use a little upgrade but really its all been pretty good. 

I expect the referee guidelines will be toughened up after Cameroons embarrassing and shameful display. The game should have just been called for England after their first temper tantrum. It would have prevented the violence they committed later as well.

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

In the mens World Cup it was noticeable VAR went quiet after group stage. Was used a lot less

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In the mens World Cup it was noticeable VAR went quiet after group stage. Was used a lot less

I think the rule changes have actually resulted in way more VAR. I also don’t remember every single goal being reviewed by VAR at the men’s World Cup. Is that a fifa thing?

Not often you see players wearing lipstick and full makeup when playing but I guess in the name of equality it's nice to see female footballers acting almost as vain as Ronaldo, Neymar and the rest.

france2.jpg

How the woman who threw that elbow at Parris didn't get sent off is a mystery for the ages. At points it's been almost a contact-free sport, with a couple of very soft penalties in the group stage, but then a woman throws an elbow that wouldn't be out of place at a pub brawl and it's only a yellow card?

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

The Cameroon manager is now saying his players acted fairly and they were robbed... deluded 

Surprised havent came out with the usual isnt that type of player garbage

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

I was also thinking this. Why even bother having assistants flag for offside? Just leave it, wait for the outcome and then review it. If it is offside and no goal is scored then the defending team takes possession and the status quo is basically the same. 

I’d guess because lots of others things that impact the game also happen after a possible offside, not just goals ? If everything was just “ waved through” what’d happen, for example, in the case of tackles resulting in Yellow Cards that otherwise wouldn’t have happened ?

8 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

VAR is an exceptional tool, it's fantastic. How its implemented and utilised by crap officials is another matter.

This has been the problem with it in Australia. No-one has a clue what's going on because there's no clarity or consistency from one match to another because every ref seems to have a different interpretation at any given moment. That's definitely a quality issue but it's also a typical FIFA thing, whereby confusion is the only predictable thing in the whole process. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spoony said:

Another awful VAR decision in the France game. I am very much pro women’s football as I always think if I have a daughter I want her to have the same opportunities to play the sport, so I was excited for this World Cup. But it is literally just VAR VAR VAR. It has killed it completely. It’s all it will be remembered for. 

Yep. Football's gonna be rather shit I think. It should only be used for if a ball has crossed the line only.

Using it for all kids of things is stupid and does kill it.

As for the women's world cup. That Cameroon team is worse than any of the men's teams I've seen in years. 

Way a go to promote women's football Cameroon 👍

Â