Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

48 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep. Football's gonna be rather shit I think. It should only be used for if a ball has crossed the line only.

VAR isn't used for the ball crossing the line. That's goalline technology. Two totally different things.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

VAR isn't used for the ball crossing the line. That's goalline technology. Two totally different things.

Yeah I was saying in other thread I think they should just get rid of var and use goal line technology for goals only.

Current format works well for punishment for simulation eg bamford ban. Don't need var for pen decisions 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah I was saying in other thread I think they should just get rid of var and use goal line technology for goals only.

Current format works well for punishment for simulation eg bamford ban. Don't need var for pen decisions 

You do though. They just need to make it a bit slicker.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

yet to be seen IMO, after last years WC where pulling shirts etc got punished im interested in the long term effects of VAR and if it changes mentalities 

as stevo said it needs to be slicker and talked about it before refs in general have to get better and VAR isn't doing that, giving a shit ref a great tool still results in a shit ref, that's why I don't necessarily believe in it being a big team advantage leveler, there will still be some ropey decisions given the way of the big home teams

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Current format works well for punishment for simulation eg bamford ban. 

Does it? 

Bamford was allowed to play the rest of that game and El Ghazi was sent off. Imagine if that was the playoff final and we lost?

VAR would've allowed El Ghazi to stay on the field, at the very least.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Does it? 

Bamford was allowed to play the rest of that game and El Ghazi was sent off. Imagine if that was the playoff final and we lost?

VAR would've allowed El Ghazi to stay on the field, at the very least.

What happened after though? El ghazi ban got removed and bamford got a ban and that was a bad miss for them with the injuries they had.

That punishment was more fitting. El ghazi scored the goal that helped take us up who I bamford will be playing in champio ship for another year where he belongs the mong.

This wc has gotten to the point where i've stopped celebrating goals, i'm waiting to see if the goal is given.

Happened countless times now where i've celebrated and then it takes 3 min just for them to remove the goal. Removes all the fun and excitement, i seriously want var removed.

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What happened after though? El ghazi ban got removed and bamford got a ban and that was a bad miss for them with the injuries they had.

That punishment was more fitting. El ghazi scored the goal that helped take us up who I bamford will be playing in champio ship for another year where he belongs the mong.

Which is fine, but what if the Leeds game was the final though? Bamford wouldn't have been punished until after they'd have potentially gone up, and El Ghazi's red would've been rescinded when it was too late.

VAR changes things in game, rather than after a game. In game is far better and more important IMO.

It'd be like retrospectively giving Henry a red card for his handball against Ireland. France would've still qualified and Ireland out, Henry wouldn't care. With VAR, Ireland potentially make it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Which is fine, but what if the Leeds game was the final though? Bamford wouldn't have been punished until after they'd have potentially gone up, and El Ghazi's red would've been rescinded when it was too late.

VAR changes things in game, rather than after a game. In game is far better and more important IMO.

It'd be like retrospectively giving Henry a red card for his handball against Ireland. France would've still qualified and Ireland out, Henry wouldn't care. With VAR, Ireland potentially make it.

But what if it takes 3 minutes longer and French fans don't know whether to celebrate or not? ;)

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

This wc has gotten to the point where i've stopped celebrating goals, i'm waiting to see if the goal is given.

Happened countless times now where i've celebrated and then it takes 3 min just for them to remove the goal. Removes all the fun and excitement, i seriously want var removed.

Gonna be incredibly shit when we're all standing in the Holte for 5 mins wondering if we should be celebrating or not.

VAR is here to stay but it’s still in its infancy and needs a lot of modifying. Refs should not make the final decision by running over to look at the replays, there should be a offfield ref with the task of making those decisions. It would save a lot of time 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

VAR is here to stay but it’s still in its infancy and needs a lot of modifying. Refs should not make the final decision by running over to look at the replays, there should be a offfield ref with the task of making those decisions. It would save a lot of time 

yep, the idea that someone sat watching the game on TV contacts the man in the middle and says "you can use VAR" rather than just making the decision for them seems convoluted, by all means talk to each other but it can be streamlined, cant remember at the WC what % of decisions were given using VAR, seemed a lot, like if VAR was being used you kind of knew the decision was getting overturned, made it better as a fan because you were able to anticipate what was happening

• Like 2

2 more contentious ones in the Spain USA game

Contact for both of them but on both of them They take a step before falling over, both could stay on their feet if they wanted to, both falls are unnatural 

Didn't someone earlier say there was no diving in the women's game?

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

2 more contentious ones in the Spain USA game

Contact for both of them but on both of them They take a step before falling over, both could stay on their feet if they wanted to, both falls are unnatural 

Didn't someone earlier say there was no diving in the women's game?

It’s something people say a lot as a ‘positive’ about the women’s game and I disagree that it’s really the truth now.

But I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing that there’s dives, aggression, dissent etc. It shows how the game has advanced to be really competitive and players are pushing the boundaries to win. Makes it feel more a game in its own right and not just a nice version for the ladies to play.

Disappointed to see Canada going out with a blah. Also very confused as to why your 5-tournament veteran who is one of the better players in the history of the women's game isn't stepping up to take the game-saving penalty either. 

Â