Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

And I'll ask this again in the hope of getting an answer.

And i have answered you countless times. To make it an even playing field between female and male keepers.

All you have to do is to watch some wc games and you see how bad it is.

I imagine the reasons when people suggest smaller goals would be to stop the number of "easy" goals where it looks like keeper's made a mistake or looks poor.

There are more wtf moments in GK and defense than you are used to see in top football and it leads to people having a worse opinion of women football.

The goalies in women football has been neglected since the beginning, it's fairly new to even have designated GK coaches.

As for the keepers being smaller I think this might be offset by women in general not having as powerful shots as men.

Best scenario is obviously if more money goes into the game in lower levels so that smaller clubs and youth teams also can afford to have GK coaches.

Might slowly be getting there but it's long way to go.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

But the females aren't playing the men. So why does it need to be a level playing field between the two genders?

I have watched some world cup games. The standard of goalkeeping is awful compared to the men's game. But so is the standard of defending and attacking. And every other aspect of the game to be honest.

But, it's the pinnacle of the woman's game. Why are you comparing it to the men's?

It is a perfectly even playing field. Unless for some reason the women are competing against the men.

Absolutely - if anything, it's about scoring goals. There are 11 players on the pitch, 10 of them outfield. 

Why hinder the chance of 10 players scoring for the benefit of the 1 player looking slightly more capable? 

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Absolutely - if anything, it's about scoring goals. There are 11 players on the pitch, 10 of them outfield. 

Why hinder the chance of 10 players scoring for the benefit of the 1 player looking slightly more capable? 

This is what i don't understand. The only result of this would be making it easier for goalkeepers, and simultaneously harder for everyone else. I don't understand why that's a positive

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But the females aren't playing the men. So why does it need to be a level playing field between the two genders?

I have watched some world cup games. The standard of goalkeeping is awful compared to the men's game. But so is the standard of defending and attacking. And every other aspect of the game to be honest.

But, it's the pinnacle of the woman's game. Why are you comparing it to the men's?

It is a perfectly even playing field. Unless for some reason the women are competing against the men.

Look at handball as an example.

You don't see people complain about female keepers being bad there, because the goals aren't as big. And they can actually cover the goal alot better compared to football goals.

Not advocating to make the goals that small but right now the goals are too big for them, in my opinion.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Look at handball as an example.

You don't see people complain about female keepers being bad there, because the goals aren't as big.

Not advocating to make the goals that small but right now the goals are too big for them, in my opinion.

Handball they concede about 20 goals a game. 

It's totally fair as it stands.

The standard is worse so making the goals smaller will make the game less entertaining.

I wonder what the women think about it? This argument does seem a little 'men telling women what's fair and what isn't' tbh.

• Like 1

The reason it's discussed this time is because the Chelsea manager Emma Hayes brought it up.

Now she might hate women and is doing it to ridicule them, but I don't think that's why she brought it up.

In fact, she believes that it might make sense to make radical changes in order to make the women’s game more fairer, competitive and entertaining.

I think it'll have the opposite effect. 

And she uses the ridiculous hurdling example too. Not sure why she goes straight for the 'IT'S NOT SEXIST' defensive approach from the start either.

Villalad, are you Emma Hayes?

Edited by StefanAVFC

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Here is another quote from that article;

“GK coaching has historically been severely underfunded. I don’t care about the average height of women, we shouldn’t be looking for average players, we should look for spectacular athletes. It should take one of a kind players to make it to the top level. Not everybody can do it.

“Historically the quality of goalkeeping in the women’s game hasn’t been great. And when you look at the complete picture this isn’t just because of height, but because of the physique, lack of technique, inconsistent coaching and simply put by not having the best athletes in goal.

“What creates this problem with goalkeeping and the size of the goal is coaches who don’t demand more excellence, don’t provide year round quality training, and coaches who don’t select the proper athlete/goalkeeper to represent their teams.

“My former teammates fight to play on big fields, and I think they’ve shown that they have every right to play on the size of field they want. If you think the field is too big and you don’t want to listen to players you might as well make us play futsal!

“I can’t apologize for being emotional when I read comments like these because I spent my whole career pouring my blood, sweat and tears into perfecting my craft. To put a handicap on the women’s game cheapens the accomplishments of everyone who has worked so hard for years.”

I highlighted the bit that strikes me most and that to me is the most important argument in the debate.

Let's not make it artificially easier - let's make the training and selection much better to improve the game overall.

Edited by Mic09

I've watched more women's cricket than women's football, and something as simple as bringing in the boundaries a bit makes so much difference in terms of skill and entertainment.  Football is probably more of an outlier in terms of sports not amending to bridge the physical gap between the two sexes but the main obstacle would be creating the facilities at grounds which share male and female football teams.  Goals can be changed pretty easily but expensive for small clubs, and having two sets of markings on the pitch not ideal.

I don't think the women's game needs smaller goals, you are doing them a huge disservice, and frankly it is quite insulting.

The women's game just needs better goalkeepers full stop.

They're bloody shite.

There seems to be a concerted effort from BBC and certain pundits to blur the lines when talking about accomplishments such as combining both male and female World Cup scorers in the same chart with no caveats.

They are going for their “equality” push the completely wrong way. It’s like comparing apples and oranges, might as well include U21 and U18 World Cup goal scorers in there if they are going to do that, especially as it is a much higher standard than the women’s game.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't think the women's game needs smaller goals, you are doing them a huge disservice, and frankly it is quite insulting.

The women's game just needs better goalkeepers full stop.

They're bloody shite.

Smaller hurdles for women is insulting as well then?

Fewer sets in women Tennis than men's tennis is insulting?

Or is it a fair argument to make minor adjustments to the game to decrease the physical gap between men and women?

56 minutes ago, penguin said:

There seems to be a concerted effort from BBC and certain pundits to blur the lines when talking about accomplishments such as combining both male and female World Cup scorers in the same chart with no caveats.

I know, imagine what Marta could have done against the Saudi Arabian team 😉

Edited by CardiffGreens
edit for bad spelling
  • Like 1

Â