Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

13 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Utter bullshit. How is she supposed to get her hand out of the way from that close? It's impossible. No unnatural movement. The official rules are ruining it.

It was probably going in. It would've been utter bullshit for a hand to stop a goal.

The handball rule has been terrible for years, all this accidental handball bollocks looks like it's finally been put to bed, a handball is a handball as much as a foul is a foul. Or should we only give free kicks for fouls that were intended to foul?

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

Yep. If it hits your hand it’s handball. I think that’s how it should be. 

Was it an accident? Tough. Handball. 

Take the discretion out of it. 

(But I agree that’s not a handball in the current rules. But the rules are crap)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. If it hits your hand it’s handball. I think that’s how it should be. 

Was it an accident? Tough. Handball. 

Take the discretion out of it. 

(But I agree that’s not a handball in the current rules. But the rules are crap)

But like Rev says, you'll then just get an increase of incidents where attackers are purposefully aiming for oppositions hands when in the area. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

But like Rev says, you'll then just get an increase of incidents where attackers are purposefully aiming for oppositions hands when in the area. 

I agree, attackers will chip them towards defenders hands and arms.

It'll be like hockey

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I know when I'm running in to the box, the first thing I'd be looking at is where defenders arms are.

But there are players who regularly cheat to gain an advantage, this will be another way to do so I reckon.

9 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

That doesn't bother me.

The current rules are awful. Handballs are hardly ever deliberate, yet that seems to be the key point of the rule at the moment. It leaves too much discretion in it.

If the rule was it hits your hand then it's handball then that would take all of that discretion out. 

Yeah it might lead to some gamesmanship, but I think the positives would outweigh it.

Seems like the women's game has improved alot, and i've enjoyed it at times.

Just a massive shame that VAR has completely ruined most of the fun for me. Utter shambles.

Edited by villalad21

7 out of 8 teams in the quarter final are European. Only the US who squeezed past Spain got through.

Beginning to look like the men's game in this aspect.

Might be a one off but Brazil have a quite old squad and their biggest start are hanging up their boots.

The US will remain strong but almost half of their squad is 30 or older, only 3 players are under 25.

Canada Probably fine as well?

Japan flopped but have a fairly young squad and I've no idea about China, they seem to have dropped off from where they used to to. Same with North Korea who used to be quite good.

Don't see the African nations ever catching up, they'll never have the resources given to then needed to succeed.

Australia and New Zealand used to be fairly strong-ish.

With more and more money in the European women football and big clubs (Juve, Lyon, PSG, Man C, Barca, Real, Wolfsburg, Chelsea, Bayern...) taking over the game from the smaller clubs who used to dominate 10 or so years ago I think it will move in the direction of the men's game.

Good in some ways, not so good in other ways I guess.

For the casual watcher like me the quality of football will continue to improve I imagine so that's nice.

Edited.

Edited by sne

23 minutes ago, sne said:

Bit strange that the OFC only get 1 spot since both Australia and New Zealand (used to be?) are fairly strong.

Both were in the World Cup this year

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Seems like the women's game has improved alot, and i've enjoyed it at times.

Just a massive shame that VAR has completely ruined most of the fun for me. Utter shambles.

Really?
The game last night what fantastic, and I can't think of one moment where VAR even remotely ruined it.
Though, I haven't been paying attention to too many other games in fairness.

2 hours ago, sne said:

7 out of 8 teams in the quarter final are European. Only the US who squeezed past Spain got through.

Beginning to look like the men's game in this aspect.

Might be a one off but Brazil have a quite old squad and their biggest start are hanging up their boots.

The US will remain strong but almost half of their squad is 30 or older, only 3 players are under 25.

Canada Probably fine as well?

Japan flopped but have a fairly young squad and I've no idea about China, they seem to have dropped off from where they used to to. Same with North Korea who used to be quite good.

Don't see the African nations ever catching up, they'll never have the resources given to then needed to succeed.

Australia and New Zealand used to be fairly strong-ish.

With more and more money in the European women football and big clubs (Juve, Lyon, PSG, Man C, Barca, Real, Wolfsburg, Chelsea, Bayern...) taking over the game from the smaller clubs who used to dominate 10 or so years ago I think it will move in the direction of the men's game.

Good in some ways, not so good in other ways I guess.

For the casual watcher like me the quality of football will continue to improve I imagine so that's nice.

Edited.

I think the U.S will always stay strong for the women.

Soccer is such a popular sport among the girls. The reason why men suck at it is because it isn't as popular for boys. American Football, Baseball, Basketball are still dominant.

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think the U.S will always stay strong for the women.

Soccer is such a popular sport among the girls. The reason why men suck at it is because it isn't as popular for boys. American Football, Baseball, Basketball are still dominant.

Agreed.

Â