Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

Curious to know if anyone in Europe cares about this at all or even knows it's currently in progress.  Every Women's WC is massively overhyped by the media here in the USA and all the sports channels try to push it like it's "as big as" the Men's competition.  Viewership numbers are hilariously bad, though, usually less than 1/5th that of the Men's national team.

It all depends the country, its bigger in some countries. Its a growing sport and the one live game i went to the quality and movement was much better than Villa were producing at the time. 

I dont get why people get offended by women's football, its like people who get offended by people that watch wrestling. Nobody has ever compared it to the mens game and I guarantee people will complain in this thread about it

• Like 4

It definitely gets compared to the men's game in the USA all the time.  It's constantly used as an example by feminist groups of the gender pay gap between men and women.  The USA Women's team is currently suing the USA FA because the women's team gets paid significantly less than men do per international call up/tournament.  Women's club team salaries are something like less than 1/3 of those of the median salaries in MLS for men.  Alex Morgan is the highest paid female athlete in the USA and I don't even think she makes $0.5 Million/year.  As far as the talent goes, the best American girls are overvalued by the media and I've even read some ludicrous articles by feminists over the years claiming that some of the best female players could play professionally in the major men's leagues.

I caught part of one of the friendlies leading up to the WC last month and I was surprised to see just how much better the quality of play has gotten recently.  The speed of play has picked up drastically and there were a few players who had some impressive ball control skills.  I remember 10 years ago the USA team's games were all long ball snoozefests and the quality of play between the different countries was embarrassing.

Edited by KMitch
Spelling

Hope England do well.

On the subject of pay, Hope Solo has recently branded FIFA chauvinistic as they are spending far less on the Women's world cup than they did with the Mens. Really? 

I actually enjoy it, the quality is quite good.

I watched the last one, particularly the final between Japan and USA. Such a dodgy call to have the game at a time of the day when the sun was perfectly glaring into the eyes of the Japanese keeper. USA took full advantage of it and trounced them.

Edited by AJ

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

It definitely gets compared to the men's game in the USA all the time.  It's constantly used as an example by feminist groups of the gender pay gap between men and women.  The USA Women's team is currently suing the USA FA because the women's team gets paid significantly less than men do per international call up/tournament.  Women's club team salaries are something like less than 1/3 of those of the median salaries in MLS for men.  Alex Morgan is the highest paid female athlete in the USA and I don't even think she makes $0.5 Million/year.  As far as the talent goes, the best American girls are overvalued by the media and I've even read some ludicrous articles by feminists over the years claiming that some of the best female players could play professionally in the major men's leagues.

I caught part of one of the friendlies leading up to the WC last month and I was surprised to see just how much better the quality of play has gotten recently.  The speed of play has picked up drastically and there were a few players who had some impressive ball control skills.  I remember 10 years ago the USA team's games were all long ball snoozefests and the quality of play between the different countries was embarrassing.

It's the same reason why heavyweight boxers get all the fame and glory while featherweight get no recognition in comparison. 

When I spend time or money on watching a sport, I want to watch the best athletes and best skills, regardless of what sex they are. I want to watch formula 1 - not go karting. I want to watch ussain bolt - not a fat bloke running for his bus.

The tempo and quality of the woman's game simply isn't as good as the men's game, but I think it's getting much better now there is more publicity and I am hoping that with more and more women seeing it as a sport of choice the quality will be better and people will be more likely to watch it. I thinks it's progressing massively!

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

Curious to know if anyone in Europe cares about this at all or even knows it's currently in progress.  Every Women's WC is massively overhyped by the media here in the USA and all the sports channels try to push it like it's "as big as" the Men's competition.  Viewership numbers are hilariously bad, though, usually less than 1/5th that of the Men's national team.

It's been pushed a lot this year. 

The equality and pay thing is quite annoying. Yes, men get paid a lot. So what? When the women's game attracts billion pound TV deals and sell millions of shirts with their names on the back, the conversation holds weight. 

The quality just isn't very good, it's hard to watch, particularly the goalkeepers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Hope England do well.

On the subject of pay, Hope Solo has recently branded FIFA chauvinistic as they are spending far less on the Women's world cup than they did with the Mens. Really? 

Hope Solo is a nasty piece of work though 

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

Stuff that I'm off down the Tractor Pulling ;)

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Hope Solo is a nasty piece of work though 

I've always preferred Chewbacca myself. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

Alex Morgan is the highest paid female athlete in the USA and I don't even think she makes $0.5 Million/year

Between Golf, Boxing and Tennis only, I doubt that very much.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Between Golf, Boxing and Tennis only, I doubt that very much.

Serena Williams or Ronda Rousey in their peak wouldnt have got out of bed for that much

The goalkeeping makes it comical. Some of the outfield play is decent but the keepers are appalling. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KMitch said:

The BBC have really been pushing it the last few years. They show most games live and have big sections of it on their sport pages.

11 hours ago, Xela said:

It’s a stupid argument isn’t it, even non football fans could name a Rooney or Messi, yet even ardent football fans would struggle to name a women’s footballer. 

Of course the men’s game has more money in it, it generates billions of pounds more than females. Of course the players will see that. 

I don’t even understand how Hope Solo is trying to argue it.

11 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

The quality just isn't very good, it's hard to watch, particularly the goalkeepers. 

Yep until this aspect of play is improves, for me it will never get that big a sport. Outfield some of the players have brilliant technique and touch. Movement can be good. But any cross you know the keeper is going to flap and it’s laughable.

Nothing to do with this World Cup, but women’s football in general. I heard the Villa ladies signed their first full professional last season, Jodie Hutton. Apparently come through the academy. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more investment in our ladies side by our owners. It’s a growing area of business and can generate some good income.

I feel bad for female keepers.

Football goals were designed and based on the men's physique. There comes moments where female keepers are very helpless just because of the size of the goal and i don't think that's right.

The left is pushing for equality which is good, but we shouldn't ignore biological differences between the sexes.

Are many more goals scored in womens football than mens? It doesn't seem that way, from watching this tournament, so I'm not sure any changes are really required.

Making the goals smaller has a few potential effects. Fewer goals, making it more dull to watch, and also adds extra effort/cost to clubs that have womens teams, making it just that little bit less appealing to host womens games. I think it'd be counter-productive, personally.

I think it's also worth pointing out that the goals haven't changed size since records began. They've been their current size since at least 1877.  Interestingly, the average height of a British man in the late 1800s was 5'5". The average British woman today is 5'3". You could argue men are better at jumping, admittedly, but I reckon they'll cope alright. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Short answer, yeah been watching as much as I can.  Kept as much of a eye on the Lionesses as I can ever since I caught a couple of games at London 2012.

As for the somewhat variable level of quality, that'll just get a shrug from me, it's nice just to be able to stick a month of football on without even a hint of annoyance from the other half! (Besides, I grew up watching division three football, so it's got a fairly low bar to clear to keep me entertained)

Â