Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

Even Emma Hayes, regarded by some as one of the better female coaches is positive to smaller goals in the women's game.

This isn't something i'm pulling out of my a**, it's something which is being discussed and a question that should be taken seriously.

Edited by villalad21

15 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

There are phsyical differences between the sexes so why not adjust the playing field & equipment to reflect this to make the game "better" and actually end up making it even more similar as a spectacle  in the end as the pace would be quicker on a smaller pitch & the goalkeepers would actually have a chance at saving a shot hit directly over their head. Kids/youths play on smaller pitches because typically they are smaller, Playing on full size pitches results in the same sort of issues seen in the womens game, Now sure there may be the odd 6ft+ woman playing football but it is far from the norm.

Why does the pitch/goals/half length have to be exactly the same as the mens in order for it to be considered football?

Playing on a huge pitch with massive goalposts adds nothing to the game at all so make it better with a few small adjustments, it really is that simple.

Womens cricket is fine enough to watch with a smaller pitch, but it would be pretty shit if very few people were even capable of hitting a boundary because the pitch was 20m bigger in every direction

No, it isn't. 

You want female football players to retrain to deal with smaller goals; you want female players to go through a process that many may well find completely humiliating of having the playing dimensions reduced to account for what you see as their weaknesses. However, it is the way it is now. If you want to change that way, you need to come up with a convincing reason why. You say it would be 'better'; what is this definition of 'better', that isn't just simply your aesthetic preference?

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

How would the game be “better” if the goals were smaller?

this is the question nobody has answered. How does it make it better?

It's not about making it better, it's about making it fair.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Firstly, it *is* fair. The dimensions are the same for everybody. Secondly, the other poster is explicitly saying it's about making the game 'better'. 

Back when they decided what size to make goals, men were much smaller, in fact on average they were about the same size as woman are today, so if anything the goals are the perfect size for women, and should be increased for men who have since grown.

• Like 1

Been really enjoying the women's world cup. But the difference in quality between the teams is pretty dramatic at times, hopefully that's something that will improve over time. Still, entertaining games to watch. Not convinced England are playing at their best right now. 

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

How would it make it fairer?

unless the women are playing against the men, it’s perfectly fair now. 

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You have any statistics to back up this statement?

Not quite the same. But close. 

1870’s the average male height in the UK was 5’5”

current average female height in the uk is 5’3”

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Can someone please explain how far do we take "fair" in a game of football?

How about we make adjustable goals, and depending on how tall the keeper is adjust them accordingly to their height? Doesn't a small keeper in a men's game like Navas or Casillas deserve fairness?

I am happy to have the debate of how big the goals should be in the woman's game (and I think all posters on here are happy discussing this), but it's definately not about fairness.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Doesn't a small keeper in a men's game like Navas or Casillas deserve fairness?

Both of them would be considered quite tall in the women's game.

They are both 6 feet tall. The Korean keeper from last night for instance is only 5'8. She conceded weak penalties and it wasn't because of lack of skill. she simply didn't have the reach. If she had been as tall as the keepers you mentioned i'm fairly confident she would have saved at least one of them.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Both of them would be considered quite tall in the women's game.

They are both 6 feet tall. The Korean keeper from last night for instance is only 5'8. She conceded weak penalties and it wasn't because of lack of skill. she simply didn't have the reach. If she had been as tall as the keepers you mentioned i'm fairly confident she would have saved at least one of them.

Kalinic is 6'7. Navas is 6'0. I know which one i'd rather have in goal, but that's not the question.

Womans game with "big goals" is fair, but different. There is nothing wrong with it. If we argue for smaller goals, let's go all in with a smaller pitch, shorter halves and a lighter ball. Why not? 

I like the uproar from incels about Marta becoming World Cup highest scorer ever. 

A lot of men have embraced this tournament but others gave embarrassed themselves 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If we argue for smaller goals, let's go all in with a smaller pitch, shorter halves and a lighter ball. Why not? 

Height doesn't matter in all the things you mentioned. But it does matter in the goals.

Often when people mentions how poor female keepers are, in many cases it's not because of a lack of skill but a lack of reach.

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Height doesn't matter in all the things you mentioned. But it does matter in the goals.

Often when people mentions how poor female keepers are, in many cases it's not because of a lack of skill but a lack of reach.

And I'll ask this again in the hope of getting an answer.

So what?

What is the benefit in smaller goals? From what I can see all it would do is make the game easier for goalkeepers. I don't know why this is such a concern.

Â