Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

19 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It does feel strange for lino’s to delay the call in case there’s a goal and then make a decision, only for that decision not to matter because it will be reviewed. If VAR is in use, is the offside flag relevant? 

Off topic but I reckon we're not far off from technology being able to make instant offside calls.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Apparently Cameroon players accusing Fifa of racism in the tunnel, find it bizarre as Ellen White was comfortably onside, do they even know the rules?!

Yeah it’s a very strange shout to claim racism. It’s that type of “boy who cried wolf” shout that doesn’t help the racism battle. That goal was clearly onside. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

That looked like a very harsh decision.

It did indeed.

England switched off a few times after those incidents and could easily have conceded, when Cameroon were fired up and pressed on. 

That third goal will end the contest now though 

Very impressed with the way Phil Neville handles himself. Says all the right things. 

The Cameroon’s were a disgrace to football. Don’t even know the rules of the game 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm fed up with var. Kills the excitement for me.

Get used to it. Next season will be interesting....

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

they calling that a handball?!

I'm assuming it was given as a foul on the goalkeeper.

Not sure I agree with it as the keeper never had full control of the ball. I guess the fact that she had two hands on the ball and got hit pretty hard by the attacker has swung the ref's decision.

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

I'm assuming it was given as a foul on the goalkeeper.

Not sure I agree with it as the keeper never had full control of the ball. I guess the fact that she had two hands on the ball and got hit pretty hard by the attacker has swung the ref's decision.

looked to me like the keeper was pushing it out with both hands instead of claiming it, not sure about that one

Wow. Cameroon. That was the most shocking display of petulance, unprofessionalism and embarrassment I have ever seen in football. I’m not exaggerating here and I used to referee Sunday league, academy football and also women and that was just comfortably the worst behaviour I’ve seen. Unreal.

Anyway, well done England for going through, for rising above it and kudos to Neville for his bang on speech at the end.

As for VAR, Christ. I hate it. I literally couldn’t have been more on the side of VAR but now I’m fully the other way. Is this what we’ve got to expect? I know refs are getting criticised for sending all these decisions to VAR but the reality is that these are match changing decisions, this is a facility they now have so of COURSE they will ALWAYS refer every goal and every penalty and every goal-scoring “offside”. Imagine if they were confident enough not to but actually got it wrong??

It has totally killed the game. Celebrations are gone, so much of the “in the moment” passion is gone, no one understands what’s going on, showing replays on the big screen is a massive mistake (as we’ve seen today) and frankly I have no faith in fifa to ever implement it properly. Get rid. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

It does feel strange for lino’s to delay the call in case there’s a goal and then make a decision, only for that decision not to matter because it will be reviewed. If VAR is in use, is the offside flag relevant? 

I was also thinking this. Why even bother having assistants flag for offside? Just leave it, wait for the outcome and then review it. If it is offside and no goal is scored then the defending team takes possession and the status quo is basically the same. 

Another awful VAR decision in the France game. I am very much pro women’s football as I always think if I have a daughter I want her to have the same opportunities to play the sport, so I was excited for this World Cup. But it is literally just VAR VAR VAR. It has killed it completely. It’s all it will be remembered for. 

Â