Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

The merging of statistics isn't helping the cause of the women's game. Its something pushed by BBC pretty exclusively. They are effectively different competitions and should be treated as such. 

Marta has done great but she shouldn't be compared to Ronaldo and Klose, she should be compared to her fellow women players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Smaller hurdles for women is insulting as well then?

Fewer sets in women Tennis than men's tennis is insulting?

Or is it a fair argument to make minor adjustments to the game to decrease the physical gap between men and women?

Women want the same number of sets as men as far as I know. That IS quite insulting to be honest.

Hurdles is totally difference.

Why do you need to reduce the physical gap between men and women? How does this help anyone?

Edited by Stevo985

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Women want the same number of sets as men as far as I know. That IS quite insulting to be honest.

Hurdles is totally difference.

Why do you need to reduce the physical gap between men and women? How does this help anyone?

You could argue it’s fairer though, which is basically you’re basis for advocating VAR despite the fact that it’s almost entirely agreed upon that it will disrupt general enjoyment of the game (as per your position that smaller goals would spoil women’s football potentially).

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You could argue it’s fairer though, which is basically you’re basis for advocating VAR despite the fact that it’s almost entirely agreed upon that it will disrupt general enjoyment of the game (as per your position that smaller goals would spoil women’s football potentially).

Unless I'm missing something, that is a bizarre comparison.

How is it fairer? I literally don't understand this point. People keep saying it would make it fairer but then not saying how. 
How? All women's teams use the same goalposts as each other now. If they were made smaller they'd still all use the same goalposts. How would that be any fairer?

If they used goals that were 30 foot tall it would change the game astonishingly, but it would be no more or less fair than it is now.

Honestly I'm not trying to be a dick here. If someone can genuinely show me that making the goalposts smaller would make the game fairer then I would concede. But so far nobody has.

(and for the record I'm not saying smaller goals would spoil women's football. I just don't see how it would make it better. I don't understand the motivation for wanting to do it)

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Unless I'm missing something, that is a bizarre comparison.

How is it fairer? I literally don't understand this point. People keep saying it would make it fairer but then not saying how. 
How? All women's teams use the same goalposts as each other now. If they were made smaller they'd still all use the same goalposts. How would that be any fairer?

If they used goals that were 30 foot tall it would change the game astonishingly, but it would be no more or less fair than it is now.

Honestly I'm not being a dick here. If someone can genuinely show me that making the goalposts smaller would make the game fairer then I would concede. But so far nobody has.

(and for the record I'm not saying smaller goals would spoil women's football. I just don't see how it would make it better. I don't understand the motivation for wanting to do it)

No one said you’re being a dick.....on this occasion ;)

And I’m just playing devils advocate, i couldn’t really care either way but it’s an interesting debate.

There are lots of examples in sport of concessions being made for women, whether it be smaller pitches, smaller apparatus or less time, so the precedent is there, at least.

Using that as a guide it’s not unreasonable to look at how football could be made more accommodating for women, now aside from the pitch size and match duration, there’s probably not much else you could change if you felt a change was needed to make it ‘more fair’.

You and I have butted heads on the VAR debate, so my referencing that was a little tongue in cheek but actually, the main basis for the pro-VAR’s is that it’s fairer, if the current format of womens football was deemed unfair then surely you would advocate for a change there too? Totally hypothetical as it hasn’t been deemed unfair, yet.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No one said you’re being a dick.....on this occasion ;)

And I’m just playing devils advocate, i couldn’t really care either way but it’s an interesting debate.

There are lots of examples in sport of concessions being made for women, whether it be smaller pitches, smaller apparatus or less time, so the precedent is there, at least.

Using that as a guide it’s not unreasonable to look at how football could be made more accommodating for women, now aside from the pitch size and match duration, there’s probably not much else you could change if you felt a change was needed to make it ‘more fair’.

You and I have butted heads on the VAR debate, so my referencing that was a little tongue in cheek but actually, the main basis for the pro-VAR’s is that it’s fairer, if the current format of womens football was deemed unfair then surely you would advocate for a change there too? Totally hypothetical as it hasn’t been deemed unfair, yet.

100% agree with the last bit. If women's football would be made "fairer" by this change then I think I'd probably back it.

But, again, I don't see how that would be the case. Nobody has shown how it would be fairer. They just keep saying it would be fairer. It would make it more fair. It would be fairer. Fairer!

VAR would demonstrably make the game fairer. It's a totally different scenario.

It wouldn't make it fairer, nor would it probably make it better. 

The biggest issues from watching the Women's World Cup, for me, are the lack of (overall) quality in goalkeeping and the finishing. Changing the goal sizes would help one and hinder the other, so it wouldn't improve the game IMO 

24 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

It wouldn't make it fairer, nor would it probably make it better. 

The biggest issues from watching the Women's World Cup, for me, are the lack of (overall) quality in goalkeeping and the finishing. Changing the goal sizes would help one and hinder the other, so it wouldn't improve the game IMO 

And it actually wouldn't help the quality of the goalkeeping at all. If anything it would make it worse because goalkeepers wouldn't have to be as good.

All it would do is mask the lack of quality.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

I know, imagine what Marta could have done against the Saudi Arabian team 😉

I don’t understand the point, The Saudi men’s side? If so then she’d in all likelihood do absolutely **** all seeing as the best women’s international sides are comfortably beaten by U15 boys teams. 

6 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

I know, imagine what Marta could have done against the Saudi Arabian team 😉

They probably would have refused to play giving the Saudis backwards stance on women

• Like 1

One odd thing I've noticed watching a few of the matches is there seems to be a bigger focus on training ground moves. The kind of thing you see in the men's game maybe 2 or 3 times a season, where you have a rehearsed move happening that's very clearly been drilled where everyone knows their move and their pass. In the women's matches I've watched you see a couple of them per match it seems, and they appear to be more useful. I can only guess that because the defending is worse, both technically and physically, compared to men, a well planned move is easier to work and harder to stop.

I'm watching the Scotland Argentina game.

Scotland have some good passing ability but like to try one too many. They'll get three or four really sharp and sweet passes in, but then try and keep it going and as just about any team would, eventually cock it up.

Enjoyable game.

Keeping pitches and goals the same allows maximum use of 3G pitches with minimum expense. Change = expense = less ability to promote the women's game = bad.

Japan had a free kick in first half that they managed to place right in the corner, and the England keeper managed to get 2 hands to it and put onto the bar and over.

Better keepers and training is the answer, not smaller goals.

• Like 1

I've been a big supporter of VAR, but there have been moments of this women's world cup where I really think it's NOT ready for actual use. Yes it was a penalty, but the new penalty rules are an absolute joke and should hopefully be changed. Some of the officiating in the tournament as been an absolute joke, improvement definitely needed. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Jonathan Pearce commentating - what an absolute melt. 

The combination of him Smith are so off putting. He just shouts inane nonsense and tries to make jokes. She makes a coupe of good points and then ruins that by saying something that is a complete fallacy. Rinse and repeat. She also has no confidence in her commentary skills. She names the potm , and then instantly turns to Pearce and asks if he agrees. 

• Like 1

Â