The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think some of us may be over playing the need for a forward to be pretty prolific for us this season. This is possibly due to Benteke's goals playing a big part in keeping us up before he left and we dropped and also because we had a 

Man Utd finished 6th last season and Lukaku was their leading forward with 12 goals. Wolves 7th and Jimenez got 13 goals. West Ham 10th and Arnoutovic got 10 goals. Watford 11th and Deeney got 9 goals. Palace 12th and Zaha got 10 goals.

Now now don't let facts like these get in the way of the worrying and pre-emptive "I told you so" posts. 

Cracking bit of information that

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

Now now don't let facts like these get in the way of the worrying and pre-emptive "I told you so" posts. 

Cracking bit of information that

I don't think I've seen many "I told you so" posts in all honesty. And I don't think many (I know 1 or 2 have) been calling for a 20 goal a season striker. I think in our position, finding one of those would have taken a whole lot of luck and probably a lot of money. 

The main concern is in case of injury and the lack of player for the front 4 positions. The main concern is that we look good for the first 11, but what happens if we get 1 or 2 injuries. It's all hypothetical, I get that. But it's also a pretty good chance we have it happen where we are missing Wesley and el ghazi (you can change these 2 for any 2 forward players) for a game. What are we left with then?

Jota, trezeguet, kodjia? 

And then what are we left with to change the game if it's not going well? 

Davis? That's it?

It's all about options, I don't think we have enough options going forward. I don't want to shoehorn players out of position in case of injury and suspension. Will Grealish go wide? 

We had an amazing summer, no doubt. But the lack of options going forward seems like a bigger gamble to me than bringing in so many players. 

I'm sure it can be revisited in January, and let's hope we get lucky and have no injuries or suspensions between now and then. 

12 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Team for Saturday?

.........................Heaton........................

Guilbert.....Engels....Mings.....Targett

................McGinn....Nakamba................

Jota..................Grealish..........Trezeguet

...........................Wesley.......................

Subs: Steer, Konsa, Hause, Elmohamady, Hourihane, El Ghazi, Kodjia.

No Luiz?  DS made clear that he's been training in Brazil.  Makes the bench in place of Hause for me but agree with your first XI

Who was injured today then? Gulibert? Seems odd for him not to make 18 after being regular in pre season. Davis? Marvellous?!

One little frustration for me is we signed two DMs pretty late in the window and so neither were ready to start today.

And of course the striker debate....

Just now, VillaChris said:

Who was injured today then? Gulibert? Seems odd for him not to make 18 after being regular in pre season. Davis? Marvellous?!

One little frustration for me is we signed two DMs pretty late in the window and so neither were ready to start today.

And of course the striker debate....

Guilbert travelled.  Can't really say Dean got it wrong with the full backs today, I thought they were decent.  Only thing today showed is we really could have done with getting another striker and winger to bring on.

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Guilbert travelled.  Can't really say Dean got it wrong with the full backs today, I thought they were decent.  Only thing today showed is we really could have done with getting another striker and winger to bring on.

Interesting. Of course players can have knocks and still travel or he was ill overnight.

Completely forgot about Matt Targett already aswell.

Guess Dean wanted to play it a bit safety first today and tbh for 60 minutes it worked. Interesting to see the approach v Bournemouth, could see both FBs being changed for that.

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Most encouraging thing for me was our centre half pairing and keeper.  Fantastic and definitely Premier League quality.

Absolutely. Biggest question from Saturday is what to do with the midfield 3? I see Hourihane now as a sub to replace SJM or Jack in 2nd half if they’ve run their legs off. 

Either Luiz or Nakamba need to start, get the minutes in & adapt - it’s what they were signed for. That might cost us in the first few games but better than sticking with the current line-up which (imo) isn’t going to work in this league. Rip the plaster off. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Awol said:

Absolutely. Biggest question from Saturday is what to do with the midfield 3? I see Hourihane now as a sub to replace SJM or Jack in 2nd half if they’ve run their legs off. 

Either Luiz or Nakamba need to start, get the minutes in & adapt - it’s what they were signed for. That might cost us in the first few games but better than sticking with the current line-up which (imo) isn’t going to work in this league. Rip the plaster off. 

Any reason to why Marvelous wasn't in the match squad sunday?

Surprised to see Lansbury ahead of him tbh

Edited by villalad21

Any idea when the squad photo is released? If I remember rightly, it has been in September in the past couple of seasons but I'm not sure if this is Championship timing.

I want to imagine I'm a kid again, picking up the Express and Star and seeing the central page has our team photo on it.286012436_Screenshot2019-08-13at15_34_23.thumb.jpg.00650ac2086fdacea464126501e6a1f7.jpg

Ahh the days: when the photos were taken in the stadium instead of BMH.

• Like 1

Surely guys like Gulibert, Targett and Marvellous should be making the bench. Can maybe understand Marvellous with lack of pre season but the other two were regulars in pre season.

This thread will be getting lots of action from next hour anyway. Still so many question marks particularly in final third.

Â