The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

I wouldn't mind seeing the classic Ancelotti's AC Milan christmas tree formation with the 2 ACM's floating behind the striker with an energetic but technically sound midfield behind them. I think it would suit our players. You don't always have to play with wingers, and our full-backs can provide the width. You could even tweak that and have Nakamba play the Gattuso role and have Douglas play where Hourihane is. Also, just given their play-styles, both Jota and Grealish would be constantly drifting out wide anyway.

Heaton

Guilbert    Engels      Mings     Targett

Douglas

McGinn                    Hourihane

Jota                Grealish

Wesley

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

What makes you think that?

He needs games to get up to speed?

3 games in 8 days shouldn't be beyond him. It's pretty much what you'd get in a pre season schedule which is pretty much what he needs now as two weeks running up and down a beach in Brazil dosen't really get you fit for premier league action.

In any case if the info is correct and Marvellous or Luiz can play a bit more further forward then I'd like to see a midfield trio of those two and Jota in the AM role. No need to play Jack or McGinn. Think El Ghazi will need to play aswell to hopefully get his confidence back up.

as of today (only 2 games i know), the signings who i personally think have already shown they were an excellent buy are Heaton, Engels, Douglas Luiz and Trezeguet.

Wesley has done ok and needs more time to settle and get proper attacking support and service, Jota hasnt really had a fair run, Targett & Guilbert cant be judged but need to get in that first team imo,  Nakamba & Konsa cant judge as no game time also.

Lets hope the other dudes settle well and bed in.

Dont class Hause, El Ghazi & Mings as "new" signings :P, although Mings has been Miongs, and El Ghazi seems to be struggling, hopefully he gets up to speed soon.

It seems from peoples team selections on here that we have a question mark over the wide forward position, most dropping el ghazi and putting grealish, mcginn or hourihane there...

Who else apart from AEG, trez and jota could play there?

Kodija, davis, jack, mcginn, jourihane, elmo, guilbert...?

For me kodj would not be as effective as AEG or jota, davis is a battering ram, nothing more, jack and mcginn do their best work through the middle, as does hourihane. Guilbert is a possibility but never seen him play competitively. Elmo would not work...

Will AEG come good?

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

It seems from peoples team selections on here that we have a question mark over the wide forward position, most dropping el ghazi and putting grealish, mcginn or hourihane there...

Who else apart from AEG, trez and jota could play there?

Kodija, davis, jack, mcginn, jourihane, elmo, guilbert...?

For me kodj would not be as effective as AEG or jota, davis is a battering ram, nothing more, jack and mcginn do their best work through the middle, as does hourihane. Guilbert is a possibility but never seen him play competitively. Elmo would not work...

Will AEG come good?

This is why I was hugely disappointed we didn't sign Benrahma.

I am not writing off El Ghazi and I think Jota can still give us something different in wide areas, but Benrahma would have give us that extra bit of depth to our flanks.  

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon our team would have looked something like this had we not got promoted and would probably have had a half decent crack at promotion.

its good that we’ve got a decent squad.

Instructed to actually play in a challenging manner that demands their best.

Love everything about Villa at the moment.

• Like 1

I do like our squad. Love to see the competition for places with some real quality to choose from, all professionals trying to improve and no wasters hanging around for a payoff. 

I know its how its supposed to be, but as a Villa fan its been too long.

• Like 1

Still don't see where the goals are going to come from.

No it's not panic stations but I just look at the other teams in this league and most of them seem to have more edge than us.

Grealish really needs to adapt quickly because it's through him it's going to have to happen.

The lack of a set piece threat when Hourihane is not playing is also worrying.

Nakamba should've been involved today, would've actually been a decent one to get him up to speed with all the pressure in second half. Will surely surely be in the 18 for West Ham.

One frustrating thing about the VAR nonsense is that Lansbury actually finished really well. Imagine the confidence he'd have got after nearly three nothing years here? Now he'll continue to feel it's just not going to work for him here like Hogan did.

• 3 weeks later...

We're competing well.

Defensively I think we're looking very solid, one goal conceded in three games.

More to come from midfield, Marvellous had a decent debut so another option for DM or box to box now.

But goodness me the decision not to sign another attacking player is very baffling to me and it's starting to hurt us. Tonight with 10 men to play for last 20 minutes we only had one attacking player on the bench and he's scored about 4 goals in two championship seasons.

Going to be a struggle to win games up to January I'm afraid for all our promising play.

• Like 2

Still at work and didn't get a chance to watch the game.  Cue the usual panic after a Villa loss/draw, but stats-wise, we aren't as bad as some are making us out to be.  Based on xGoals & xGoalsAllowed, we should be 14th in the table.

https://understat.com/league/Premier League

• xPoints: 14th (Under-Performing by 1.26 points)
  • xGoals: 17th (Under-Performing by 0.85 goals scored)
  • xGoalsAllowed: 14th (Over-Performing by 1.41 goals allowed)

Over the course of the season, and provided we can buy an attacker or two in January, we should survive if we continue to play at the same level we are currently at today.  

Stats-wise, we should have scored at least one goal that game and walked away with 3 points, but there will also be a game this season where we get away with one and win, when we should have lost/drawn.

https://understat.com/match/11692

Everyone needs to chill.  It's only September.  

Edited by KMitch

I don't think we should be panicking and changing the formation too much, maybe a tweak here and there. But I do think we might have to figure out a way of getting Hourihane and Kodjia in the side, we already lost Abraham from last season who got twenty plus goals, Kodjia and Hourihane also got twenty plus goals between them, and in Hourihanes case he chipped in with a lot of assists, we can't really afford to leave them out, I mean if you include goals and assists between them Abraham, Hourihane and Kodjia were responsible for fifty plus goals last season, obviously nothing we can do about Abraham, but whilst we're struggling to score, the other two need to be involved.

Â