Jump to content

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Against strong teams:

LINEUP111564402066125-576x576.png

Maybe replace Guilbert with Elmo?

No no no. Grealish have to play in the De Bruyne role, it's his best posititon. And Kalinic? Nope. Steer is playing.

Kalinic haven't settled in England and he struggles with communication with his back line.

 

Edited by villalad21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Junxs said:

As we know a 25 man squad needs to be submitted when the transfer window closes and before the season begins.

This is what we have:

1) Steer* 2) Kailinic 3) Nyland

4) Elmo 5) Guilbert 6) Targett* 7) Taylor*

8/ Mings* 9) Hause* 10) Engels 11) Chester* 

12) Luiz 13) Nakamba 14) Hourihane 

15) McGinn* 16) Grealish* 17) Lansbury* 18) Bjarnasson

19) Hassan 20) El Ghazi 21) Jota

22) Wesley 23) Kodjia 24) Hogan* 

Do not have to be registered due to age: Konsa, Bree, Davis, O'Hare, Hepburn-Murphy, Green (interesting side note - the first 4 names will not qualify for exemption next season)

* home grown players, we have 10 from my calculations

Expecting Nakamba to sign in the coming week, which leaves space for 1 more before culling is forced.

18) Bjarnasson, 23) Kodjia 24) Hogan* 2) Kailinic 3) Nyland,

14) Hourihane, 7) Taylor*,  11) Chester* 

I think we would sell any of the above if the right offer came in.  The top line for definite 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No no no. Grealish have to play in the De Bruyne role, it's his best posititon. And Kalinic? Nope. Steer is playing.

Kalinic haven't settled in England and he struggles with communication with his back line.

 

And Steer can pass the ball 10 yards.  You want to play out from the back id rather have Kalinic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

And Steer can pass the ball 10 yards.  You want to play out from the back id rather have Kalinic.

Did you see Mings shouting at Kalinic for lack of communication against Walsall?

He might have better distribution, but if he makes the whole backline more nervous it's not worth it. Kalinic haven't settled in England.

If distribution is your only criteria we can make a case for Orjan then, he is the best at distribution of all the 3 keepers.

Edited by villalad21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

No no no. Grealish have to play in the De Bruyne role, it's his best posititon. And Kalinic? Nope. Steer is playing.

Kalinic haven't settled in England and he struggles with communication with his back line.

 

This was my thought process:

We'll be on the back foot against strong teams. We'll have to hit them on the break. Full backs should be ordered not to dive into tackles, but to stay on their feet and keep very close to the oppositon wingers. Let them hit uncomfortable crosses for Mings and Engels to clear or Kalinic to catch and distribute quickly. Force them to try long shots or make mistakes by crowding the midfield with 2 DMs and McGinn.

I set Grealish up as LW role but he should be allowed to roam freely into that ACM position and lead our counters.

 

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Against strong teams:

LINEUP111564402066125-576x576.png

Maybe replace Guilbert with Elmo?

I don't think Deano will take this approach - I just don't think it's in his make-up, he wants to win games.

What I do expect is something like this (or more likely, El Ghazi for Jack) in the last 15 minutes of games where we are up against it, but winning. This midfield 3 would keep us competitive at both ends of the park. He showed last season that he wasn't afraid of bringing Jack off when it suited the team.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if we don't bring in a striker and a goalkeeper we may regret it. 

I'd like to see us give 3 at the back ago as we have depth there and also two decent attacking fullbacks for once.

Wesley's best form for brugge was alongside another striker and not up top on his own and not convinced by steer in prem other than that great business so far though.

Edited by AshVilla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KMitch said:

If you want to have a great laugh, read this hilariously bad Villa season preview written by a Man City fan who did absolutely no research and got all his information from FIFA FUT ratings.  It made my day when I saw this...  😂😂😂

.

Quote

Let me know what you think about Aston Villa in the comments below!

What idiot puts Grealish on the bench!   😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who will leave? Bjarnason and Kodjia? How big is our squad now relative to what's allowed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/07/2019 at 22:56, villalad21 said:

Grealish best position is in that de bruyne role imo

I'd actually say to me he's a David Silva type.

It's worth remembering in 14/15 in his breakout spell of games under Sherwood he was actually being played on the left of a front 3, he was MOTM in that area in semi final v Liverpool and I also remember a lovely assist he made at home to West Ham, dribbled past defender on touchline and hit a perfect cross for Cleverley to tap in.

Obviously he's positioned himself now as the attacking playmaking midfielder but it would be wrong to think he'd be ineffective if we played him out there. He'd only be if we re-signed likes of Gestede and Kozak.

Jota is of a similar ilk and he's going to play lots of games drifting in from wide position as we've seen in pre season.

Edited by VillaChris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/07/2019 at 19:57, Tayls said:

Jeez. How is this team gonna work?! 

Part of me thinks we are only getting Luiz for the season...so we are bringing Nakamba in as preparation...? Signing both, is a bit odd to me. 

I’m literally at a loss with the team at the moment... I have no idea on how to piece it together. A little part of me wants us to stop signing new players! 

We needed two DMs given we released Whelan who was a regular starter and Jedinak who would come in for odd game so don't see anything as odd.

As well as Hourihane did last season, think he would get exposed as a DM against the better teams in this league so rather he'd just cover for the times when McGinn is suspended or picks up a knock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd actually say to me he's a David Silva type.

It's worth remembering in 14/15 in his breakout spell of games under Sherwood he was actually being played on the left of a front 3, he was MOTM in that area in semi final v Liverpool and I also remember a lovely assist he made at home to West Ham, dribbled past defender on touchline and hit a perfect cross for Cleverley to tap in.

Obviously he's positioned himself now as the attacking playmaking midfielder but it would be wrong to think he'd be ineffective if we played him out there. He'd only be if we re-signed likes of Gestede and Kozak.

Jota is of a similar ilk and he's going to play lots of games drifting in from wide position as we've seen in pre season.

It wasn't a left "winger" as such though. The shape Tim came up with was actually incredibly effective. The old school narrow Christmas tree formation, 4-3-2-1, but Jack and N'Zogbia were fairly narrow behind the big man up top.

Having said that, he could go out there this season and be one of the better left wingers in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It wasn't a left "winger" as such though. The shape Tim came up with was actually incredibly effective. The old school narrow Christmas tree formation, 4-3-2-1, but Jack and N'Zogbia were fairly narrow behind the big man up top.

Having said that, he could go out there this season and be one of the better left wingers in the league.

Yeah, effective at getting us relegated with some of the worst team performances ever witnessed in the Premier League...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KMitch said:

Yeah, effective at getting us relegated with some of the worst team performances ever witnessed in the Premier League...

Don't think he played it season after cup final. And don't think it would have mattered either way.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mings were shouting at Kalinic for not being vocal enough last match.

There is no way Kalinic is playing when our main defender doesn't trust him. If we don't sign a keeper Steer is playing, there's no doubt about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put out your best team - assuming any work permits pending fail ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Mings were shouting at Kalinic for not being vocal enough last match.

There is no way Kalinic is playing when our main defender doesn't trust him. If we don't sign a keeper Steer is playing, there's no doubt about it.

One shout from Mings and Kalicnic has no chance of playing!! Its huge statement considering that he is Croatian nat. keeper and far better than Steer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

One shout from Mings and Kalicnic has no chance of playing!! Its huge statement considering that he is Croatian nat. keeper and far better than Steer.

No it isn't just one shout.

Kalinic doesn't look to have settled in England and isn't trusted by the defence, neither is Orjan.

If we don't sign another goalie i would be very surprised to see Kalinic starting ahead of Steer against Spurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2019 at 22:08, Junxs said:

As we know a 25 man squad needs to be submitted when the transfer window closes and before the season begins.

This is what we have:

1) Steer* 2) Kailinic 3) Nyland

4) Elmo 5) Guilbert 6) Targett* 7) Taylor*

8/ Mings* 9) Hause* 10) Engels 11) Chester* 

12) Luiz 13) Nakamba 14) Hourihane 

15) McGinn* 16) Grealish* 17) Lansbury* 18) Bjarnasson

19) Hassan 20) El Ghazi 21) Jota

22) Wesley 23) Kodjia 24) Hogan* 

Do not have to be registered due to age: Konsa, Bree, Davis, O'Hare, Hepburn-Murphy, Green (interesting side note - the first 4 names will not qualify for exemption next season)

* home grown players, we have 10 from my calculations

Expecting Nakamba to sign in the coming week, which leaves space for 1 more before culling is forced.

As I understand it Konsa and Bree (and Sarkic fwiw) are born before the cut off (1st Jan 1998) and would both/all need to be registered this season.

We currently have 7 players - Davis, Green, Luiz, O'Hare, RHM, Suliman and JDH that are classed as 'U21' for this season (but would be need to be registered next season if they are here).

As for the minimum home-grown quota of 8 - McGinn is not classed as home-grown (England and Wales only), Hourihane is though. Tshibola is too (Even though people can sign him for free and is largely irrelevant to the conversation). Bree and Konsa take it to 13 home-grown players (in bold) out of 25 'over 21's' as it stands what with Sarkic out on loan and Tshibola still kicking around.

1) Kalinic
2) Nyland
3) Steer*
Loan out - (Sarkic*)

4) Elmohamady
5) Taylor*
6) Guilbert
7) Targett*
8 )Bree*

9) Chester*
10)Mings*
11)Engels
12)Hause*
13)Konsa*

14)Bjarnason
15)Lansbury*
16)Hourihane*
17)McGinn
18)Tshibola*
19)Grealish*

20)Jota
21)Trezeguet
22)El Ghazi

23)Kodjia
24)Hogan*
25)Wesley

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â