The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:13, Skruff said:

Time for diamond? 

-------------Nakamba-------------

Luiz---------------------McGinn

-------------Grealish----------

This may help us utilise the wealth of midfielders we have whilst nullifying the fact that our wingers are a bit pants.

Gilbert and Targett should be able to get down the flanks when needed.

4 - 2 - 3 -1 formation 

Luiz and Marvellous as the holding 2  breaking up play and getting the ball forward

with Jack , mcGinn and El Gaz roaming the pitch in front of them  ..the 3 could be inter changeable with Hourihane , Lansbury , Trez and Jota

might make us a bit narrow , but see City stats , when they are forced wide they have lost or drawn their last 6 games  , so wingers in games  are over rated :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know people hate the phrase, but we really do need some "Premier League experience" in there IMO. Players are human, if you've been there and done it, it's not as big a deal. But this is the first real proper run a lot of these players have had at this level and they look frightened.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I know people hate the phrase, but we really do need some "Premier League experience" in there IMO. Players are human, if you've been there and done it, it's not as big a deal. But this is the first real proper run a lot of these players have had at this level and they look frightened.

I disagree. I don’t think they look frightened and I don’t buy into the ‘premier league experience’ thing either.

We’re being hampered by a really poor striker and some poor substitution decisions by Smith. 

We could, and probably should, be on about 10 points now. We definitely would be if we had a decent striker, I’m sure of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 15:27, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yari Verschaeren looks a fabulous talent, realistic?

Good young player. Be tricky unless we're in a very good position January.

He'll be in the Belgium squad at the euros and I imagine a big agent has already got hold of him so will see us as a risk.

The 3 signings I would like in January or by the end of the season are:

- Backup for Grealish in the AML position. Benhrama seems perfect for this. 

- Backup for Targett as an attacking left back. Attacking full backs are crucial to how we want to play so we need a similar player to Targett rather than Taylor

- Replacement striker for Kodjia. Someone young and hungry who provides a different option to Wesley and Davis 

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Good young player. Be tricky unless we're in a very good position January.

He'll be in the Belgium squad at the euros and I imagine a big agent has already got hold of him so will see us as a risk.

We could buy him now and loan him out for two seasons to Anderlecht

Stop with the formation changing.

This is our best team:

-----------------Heaton-----------------

Guilbert--Engels--Mings----Targett

-------------------Nakamba-------------------

-------------McGinn----Luiz-------------------

El Ghazi---------Wesley--------------Grealish

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Stop with the formation changing.

This is our best team:

-----------------Heaton-----------------

Guilbert--Engels--Mings----Targett

-------------------Nakamba-------------------

-------------McGinn----Luiz-------------------

El Ghazi---------Wesley--------------Grealish

Nah not for me replace Luiz with Conor. Luiz comes on after 60 minutes to freshen things up if needed.

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How much more pointless could that get?

Chelsea have done this often enough. You buy them before they become too expensive.  Wait another year or two and you’ll pay 30 million at least. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think we go for Morelos in Jan and set up in a 3-4-1-2 which is essentially a 5-3-2 with wingbacks and grealish playing ahead of the centre 2 in a free role

Heaton

Konsa, Engles, Mings

Guilbert, Marvelous, McGinn, Targett,

Grealish

Morelos, Wesley

I think this would tighten us up a lot and make us harder to play through midfield. Wesley would be a deep lying forward which he prefers. Grealish gets a free role which he prefers. We have three good ball playing centre backs and Mings and Konsa have pace which is needed in a back 3. I think McGinn is better deeper in a b2b role. Targett and Guilbert have free reign to get up and whip in crosses to our two strikers. If Morelos and Welsey build up a partnership then happy days 

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Not so good really.

Today's game showed the mistake of not getting in another forward on August 31st.

Good we have another chance to make 2-3 changes. Not doing anything in January isn't an option.

We could have had Harry bloody Kane upfront and we would've still lost. Look at how or left backs were ripped to shreds by Adama and our midfield could string a bloody pass together.

The performance levels were awful. Had Jack been on the pitch he would have helped a lot in this game, his ability to retain possession, carry the ball out win a free kick alone would have alleviated a lot of issues we had yesterday.

We need another player in our team that has his level of intelligence and skill, problem is they don't go the newly promoted teams.

• Like 1

I think there is so much more work to do with the squad going on yesterday's performance. We’ve got ambitious owners who are prepared to spend, immediate priorities should be a winger and striker then I feel upgrades on the full backs are necessary as they were constantly exposed yesterday. If we want to be a top half team I honestly feel we probably need to spend another £150m, but this time on 4/5 players rather than 12 and of course of a better quality than we currently have (obviously this needs to be spread over several windows so we don't break FFP). Jack is sorely missed when he is injured and he seems to get injured every season, so we need a player with his quality on the ball who can be that talisman when he's out but is also able to play alongside him when he's fit. I just don't think McGinn is capable of being that player when Jack is out. I'd love someone like Dani Olmo, as highly unlikely as his signing would be. 

I still think even with our current squad we’ll be fine. Got to be beating Newcastle next game, if we don’t I might get worried. But our position at the moment is not too perilous. Bournemouth in their first season up in 15/16 had 8 points from their first 12 games with a GD of -13 and finished 16th with 42 points. Leicester’s first season up in 14/15 they had 10 points from 12 with a GD of -7 and finished 14th with 41 points (and they still had 10 points after 18 games as they lost the next six in a row!). I think both those sides had less quality than we have as well, but the PL is probably also a tougher league now when they came up. Newcastle last season had 9 points from their first 12 with a GD of -6, they ended up 13th with 44 points.

With this in mind, I still believe we can finish 12th-14th as long as we bounce back from these setbacks. Three defeats in a row can happen in this league when you play the sides we have played, though it's always horrible to lose. I think we need to start grinding out some points away from home, but the home games against weaker opponents are the really big games. We have home games coming up in November and December against the likes of Newcastle, Southampton and Norwich – those are the games we have to be winning if we want to be ok. If we don’t, then it will be panic time.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

Â