The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

Early days I know but with players being told about their futures today and tomorrow then we should have a good idea about what squad we have left and what gaps are to be filled in due course. I reckon by 1st June this will be our squad remaining.  I will assume that Gardner, McCormack, Tshibola won't get a look in. I am confident we will sign at least Hause and El Ghazi and most probably Mings but I will leave him out for now.

GKs

Steer
Kalinic
Nyland

RBs

Elmo
Guiilbert
Bree

LBs

Taylor

CBs

Chester
Hause

RM

Adomah
Green

LM

El Ghazi

CM

Grealish
McGinn
Hourihane
Lansbury
Thor

CF

Kodjia
Davis
Hogan

Questions:

1. Who would you sell?
2. Anyone with expiring contract that you would retain? (I have assumed Steer will stay)
3. What positions are key?

For me:

1. Adomah, Lansbury, Thor, Hogan
2. Only Steer - no room for sentiment so no Whelan for me
3. LB, CB, DM, RM and ST - Ming is the obvious one for CB but we will still need to sign another 1 or 2 depending on Chester. LB needs to be a big signing, a modern full back. DM is the key position as Hourihane is a great option but we need better in the PL imo. RM - Lolley, Bowen etc. Striker - I wouldn't go for Abraham personally. Maupay for me.

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

2. Anyone with expiring contract that you would retain? (I have assumed Steer will stay)

No, there's absolutely none of the rest of them that should be retained. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sell/release Nyland, Adomah, Green, Hutton, Lansbury, Hogan, Thor, Whelan, Jedinak

...Kodjia, Adomah (Taylor, Elmo, Bree)

I would put Hause in as a LB, as I feel he will be emergency cover at CB only.

I would give Whelan a one year deal. He might be what we need in he last 20 minutes in a lot of games next season. The other out of contracts can go, along with those mentioned in the opening post.

Nyland; Thor; Taylor; Lansbury; Kodija; and Adomah can all go too. Plus Bree if Deano isn't convinced. We won't shift them all but as many as possible please!

Keeping Steer will mean we are well stocked with keepers.

I'd like to think we will get one or both of Mings and Tuanzebe back next season. If we get both I think that sorts the centre of defense along with Chester and Hause. If we don't we need another prem level centre back. 

I don't know much about Guilbert but hopefully, him and Elmo are enough at RB. I'd send Bree out on loan again. 

Only Taylor at LB is an issue. I'm hoping Suso and DS have something up their sleeves for this position. 

DM is a massive position, can we get another Gueye from somewhere? I'd take Hayden from Newcastle if he still wants out. 

The two remaining SM positions I think will be McGinn and Jack with Conor to come in. I expect Lansbury to stay so he may be used too. Another body in here would help but not essential. 

The front 3 is where we need most work (and money) if Tammy comes back happy days but I don't see it. ElGhazi is a good player but we need someone on the other side and another 2 for competition. 

Tammy up front with back up of Kodija, Davis and Hogan seems ok. I'd prefer to move Hogan on and use the cash elsewhere. 

I don't think I would keep any of the out of contract players. Jedi, Hutton, Elphick, Whelan and even Bunn all go and are wished the best of luck. Can't say the same for Richards. 

I think Adomah and Thor are also out of contract are they not? 

We really do have a big rebuild on. The spirit in the camp is obviously pretty special at the moment so I think those players who aren't out of contract and can do a job for the squad will be kept (likes of Taylor, Lansbury, Kodjia, Green, Nyland).

We've got more pressing issues than trying to ship and replace them. Including resigning loans we are already going to need 10-12 players at least. 

20 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

We really do have a big rebuild on. The spirit in the camp is obviously pretty special at the moment so I think those players who aren't out of contract and can do a job for the squad will be kept (likes of Taylor, Lansbury, Kodjia, Green, Nyland).

We've got more pressing issues than trying to ship and replace them. Including resigning loans we are already going to need 10-12 players at least. 

I agree, we need some continuity, all of these have something to offer as squad players and are part of the spirit we have already created, getting rid of everyone means starting again from scratch in an incredibly difficult league. Also, barring Lansbury they aren't on crazy wages that we need to shift. These guys know the system and the group already, that has value to us right now.

Of all the players out of contract this summer, I am most inclined to keep Whelan. 

I truly believe signing him and Jedinak, and Hutton stepping up helped change the losing mentality that rotted our club. I remember hearing about how the Stoke dressing room fell apart after Whelan, Walters and Bardsley left that window. Obviously not the greatest players technically, but they helped hold their teammates accountable. It’s an oversimplification, but ours and Burnley’s fortunes vs. Stoke’s since that transfer window do help evidence that.

On a reasonable, squad-friendly contract, I think keeping Whelan makes sense. Unfortunately Jedi and Hutton just aren’t comfortable enough on the ball to play in Smith’s system. Especially in the Prem.

• Like 1

I'd consider selling green. He has been pretty shit all season if he couldn't cut it consistently at championship level he won't do veey well at pl level. He also very injury prone. 

I'd either loan him out to a championship team see how he does and if he doesn't do very well get rid. I'd also get rid of rhm. Another injuey prone hype job. 

Assuming the Hause and AEG deals go through. Our squad now looks like this

GK

Steer, Kalinic, Nyland

RB

Elmo, Bree

LB

Taylor

CB

Chester, Hause

RM

Jota, Green

LM

El Ghazi 

CM

Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn, Thor, Lansbury, Tshibola

CF

Kodjia, Davis, RHM, Hogan

Pretty confident Mings will go through but wow what a massive summer ahead.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

GK

Steer, Kalinic, Nyland

RB

Elmo, Bree

LB

Taylor

CB

Chester, Hause

RM

Jota, Green

LM

El Ghazi 

CM

Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn, Thor, Lansbury, Tshibola

CF

Kodjia, Davis, RHM, Hogan

Scares the hell out of me looking at this. 

Jesus...  So much work to be done on the squad...

Nyland, Thor, Lansbury, Tshibola, RHM, and Hogan aren't good enough and should be offloaded.

Chester is crocked and sounds like has a permanent injury to his knee now.  He's not even a squad player option now.

Bree, Green, and Davis need a full season on loan.  They aren't good enough for the Premier League yet, but could be after another season in the Championship.

Elmo, Taylor, Hause, Jota, Hourihane, and Kodja are all viable squad players, but not good enough to be the starter in the Premier League all season.

Jury is out on Guilbert whether or not he is a Premier League caliber player...

Only nailed on starters will be Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi, Mings (Hopefully), and Kalinic/Steer.  

Need 1 striker, 2 wingers, 1 CDM, 1 LB, and 2 CBs at a bare minimum (assuming we sign Hause, Mings, and El Ghazi).  I still don't think that will be enough...

12 minutes ago, sne said:

O'Hare?

Likely be loaned out but still.

Yeah would like to see him do a full season in the championship at a decent club, only prob is that his contract is up at the end of the season.

Same for Davis and green imo in the sense that inwild like to see them get a good championship loan playing week in week out.

I think we need to be clever though and send them to the right team, one that tries to play proper football.

That's helpful @omariqy. I would see it as such:

GK

Steer, Kalinic, Nyland [possibly], Sarkic?

RB

Elmo, Guilbert, Bree

LB

Taylor, [Another LB]

CB

Chester, Hause, [Mings], [Another CB]

RM

Jota [another RM]

LM

El Ghazi, Green

DM

[2 DM], [Hourihane]

CM

Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn, Thor, Lansbury, O'Hare?, Tshibola,

CF

[New CF], Kodjia, Davis, RHM [loan], Hogan

Obviously there maybe some more youth players, but think RHM/Davis/O'Hare are the key ones that seem like they could break through. As said though, possibly a good loan move to championship will be to their benefit. Is Sarkic still on the books? Those crossed out I think will be moved on; left Lansbury there as Smith seems to play him when he can and think he might stick around. 

I therefore think we need 1 LB, 1 CB [+ Mings], 1 RM, 2 DMs and 1 striker + El Ghazi & Hause. That's 9 including the players from last season coming in,10 including Jota. Sounds a lot, but when 3 of them played for us last season that's not as bad. Jota having played for Smith as well will help. The right players will make sure that we will be fine, not the scatter gun approach that Fulham did last season or we did 3 years ago... 

13 hours ago, omariqy said:

GK - Loan out Sarkic. Nyland can be 3rd choice coming back from injury. Steer starts as No.1 Kalinic in reserve. Re-assess in January if necessary.
RB - Guilbert already in. Elmo as back-up. Bree out on loan maybe.
LB - NEW LB in, Taylor as back-up
CB - Assuming Chester is around. And assuming Mings and Hause get done we're still looking for a NEW CB to replace Axel.
CM - Sell/loan out BB and Tshibola. we need 2 x NEW DMC. After that, perhaps we need to talk about Henri...
LW/RW - Jota already in, Green is here, El Ghazi hopefully on the way. another NEW WINGER needed imo.
CF - RHM and Davis need regular game time they aren't going to get here and should head out on loan. Kodjia should hang around and we need a NEW CF to replace Tammy in the squad. Hogan needs to go and a replacement coming in. He's the hardest to shift though imo with 3 years left to run on his contract

Ramsey, JDH and O'Hare along with Green, RHM and Davis could all probably do with a loan but it's a lot to do and will we need a few players from the youth team to bulk out the squad? Be interesting to see what happens with them. As for Suliman, well, who knows what's going on there?

Is it still a minimum of 8 Homegrown players from the 25 in total (Over 21 on 1st Jan 2019?). If so, Davis, RHM and Green (and obviously the younger guys, Sarkic/Suliman etc) would all not need to be registered in that 25 this season if I've worked that bit out right. But Bree would.

Steer, Chester, Taylor, Bree, Lansbury, Tshibola, Grealish, Hourihane, Mings, Hause and Hogan are all 'Home-grown' (11) Kalinic, Nyland, Elmo, Guilbert, Jota, McGinn (I think it's just English and Welsh youth clubs that count), BB, El Ghazi and Kodjia are not (9) leaving 5 spots open with 6 places left to fill with unknown targets at this point imo as above.

Or have the rules changed since we were last up there?

• Like 1

Â