The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

On 24/07/2019 at 12:57, cyrusr said:

So does squad look like this now: 

Steer/Kalinic/Nyland

Guilbert/Elmohamady/Bree - Engels/Konsa/Chester - Mings/Hause - Targett/Taylor

Hourihane/Bjarnason/Tshibola

Grealish/O'Hare - McGinn/Lansbury/Doyle-Hayes

Trezeguet/Jota                                                               El Ghazi/Green

Wesley/Kodjia/Davis/Hogan/Hepburn-Murphy

If/when Douglas signs that will look much better. Clearly the weakest position, but other than competition for GK, DM and ST, I think that is looking pretty good 😎  now just need to start clearing a few of those at the bottom of the lists... 

Updated Squad List since Luiz, Heaton and Nakamba: -

Heaton/Steer/Kalinic/Nyland

Guilbert/Elmohamady/Bree - Engels/Konsa/Chester - Mings/Hause - Targett/Taylor

Luiz/Nakamba/Bjarnason/Tshibola

Grealish/Hourihane/O'Hare - McGinn/Lansbury/Doyle-Hayes

Trezeguet/Jota                                                               El Ghazi/Green

Wesley/Kodjia/Davis/Hogan/Hepburn-Murphy

Think we are nearly there. Only player possibly in would be another ST IMO. 

Sell:

1 Goalkeeper (Nyland or Kalinic, with Kalinic most likely)

Bree

Tshibola

Bjarnason

Hogan

Loan out: 

Bree (if not sold)

Tshibola (if not sold)

O'Hare (possibly, though could be good for him to be in 1st team squad)

Doyle-Hayes

Hepburn-Murphy

Davis (if we get another ST)

Can't believe its 1st August and we have pretty much done incoming transfer dealings. 12 players in, all look like a big step up for us. Love it. 

Heaton

Guilbert    Engels       Mings     Targett

Luiz

McGinn          Grealish

Jota                                           El Ghazi

Wesley

Subs:   Steer, Konsa, Hause, Hourihane, Elmo, Kodjia, Trezeguet

Squad: Marvelous, Lansbury, Davis, Green, Taylor, Bree

That's very strong. Not that each player is amazing or anything, but we have real strength in depth. Something I think a lot of our rivals in the bottom half are sorely lacking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Heaton

Luiz

McGinn          Grealish

Wesley

That's very strong. Not that each player is amazing or anything, but we have real strength in depth. Something I think a lot of our rivals in the bottom half are sorely lacking.

Also, I trust Dean Smith and the team to be signing players with a specific system in mind.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Also, I trust Dean Smith and the team to be signing players with a specific system in mind.

Yup. A lot of the teams around us have had a very scattershot approach to their transfers. Partly because of past dinosaur managers who just buy names, but also because the squads were assembled by multiple managers with different ideas and systems.

Very rare that you see a squad built completely by one manager but we have been lucky to have Dean start on this project from last season. You can confidently say this is his team now and not Steve Bruce's or Roberto Di Matteo's. That goes a long way.

• Like 1

Could easily have a full team of “ first team” players not even making the matchday squad !, e.g...

Kalinic, Elmo, Taylor, Chester, Bree, Lansbury, Birkir, Green, Hogan, Davis and O Hare...

...which I find remarkable considering a few weeks ago we wouldn’t have been suprised had some of these started games.

Now not even in the first 18.

Incredible.

Edited by terrytini

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Heaton

Luiz

McGinn          Grealish

Wesley

Agreed. And that's assuming we find buyers for Kalinic, Nyland, Chester, Bjarnarson, and Hogan, all of which could do a job for us in a pinch.

Most well-rounded squad we've had in a long time.

For Me:

GK : Heaton, Steer, Nyland

LB : Targett, Hause, Taylor

CB : Mings, Hause, Engels, Konsa, Chester

RB : Guilbert, Elmo, Bree

DM/CM : Nakamba, Douglas Luiz, Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, Lansbury.

Wingers/Forwards : Wesley, Jota, Hassan, El Ghazi, Kodjia, New Striker - Maupay?, New Winger - Benrahma?

Loan: O'Hare, RHM, Sulliman, Davis, Green, Hogan (if cant sell).

Sell/Release : Kalinic, Tshibola, Bjarnason, Hogan.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Heaton

Luiz

McGinn          Grealish

Wesley

I don't see us going with 3 defenders on the bench. Minor point I know, but I suspect Marv or Lansbury would get the nod. 

I also think Hause will start against Spurs. Just a feeling. From there it is anyone's guess really, not a position I'm able to predict yet. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't see us going with 3 defenders on the bench. Minor point I know, but I suspect Marv or Lansbury would get the nod. 

I also think Hause will start against Spurs. Just a feeling. From there it is anyone's guess really, not a position I'm able to predict yet. 

Hause will be a mainstay in the 18 considering he can cover both CB and LB. It's gonna be tough for Chezzy and Ezri to get into the team it seems then.

It will be interesting to see who goes out from now. There has to be a few outgoings so expecting us to make a small amount back. Hopefully a few good loans for O'Hare, JDH, RHM, Bree, Davis that will help them push on.

Totally agree with the point about it being Deanos team now, he has made his mark. Hopefully, it will be the sword that hurts others rather than the one he falls on..

For what its worth, i think we will be fine and are currently better then Norwich, Sheff Utd, Newcastle, Brighton, Burnley, and maybe (a big maybe though) Southampton and Palace.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Hause will be a mainstay in the 18 considering he can cover both CB and LB. It's gonna be tough for Chezzy and Ezri to get into the team it seems then.

One of them will flame out and another will get injured, so eventually it will sort itself out. In the meanwhile it will be Mings and whomever has gelled quickest.

On 03/07/2019 at 13:33, jimcohen said:

Tish, Hogan, Nyland all seen in training, as is Chester. Good to see him looking fit. Wonder if his body is up for some proper football? Surely some outs and loans out as well as ins to come over the coming weeks. Hopefully sooner rather than later so we can cement the squad feel asap. Must be weird for players who turn up knowing they wont be playing at the club. Coaches must know it too and pay them less attention. Just get rid asap.  I find it odd that all clubs take so long to get business done. But there are so many variables and it relys so much on other teams getting their preferred choices etc. Either way, I predict 12 more ins and outs permanent and loans  from our first team squad before this is all over. 7 more in, 5 more out. Would be a summer total of 17 out (Bunn, Hutton, RDL, Richards, Elphick, Tuanzebe, Whelen, Jedinak,  AA, GG, RMc, TA plus the 5 below)  including loans ending and 12 in including loans signing (Guilbert, Hause, Jota, ElGhazi, Wesley and the 7 below).  Squad down 5 in total but of course Tish, RDL, RMC, GG Richards barely touched the sides before. Busy times ahead!

In GK, CB, CB, DCM, CM, RW, ST (hopefully Butland, Webster, Mings, ?,?,?,? but all need to be very good, two need to be starters)

Out loan - ST (RHM)

Out - GK, CM, CM, ST (Kalinic, Thor, Tish, Hogan)

That leaves us legal squad of 25, 3 x GK , then with two in every other position without needing kids, Bree as extra cover at the back, Davis as a wild card off the bench in the odd game. 

Happy with this window. It's amazing how far we have come! From my wishes, we haven't really sold anyone yet! So I got all them wrong, but the rest of what I felt we needed we have done so and more! I wanted two strikers out, both sadly just on loan in RHM and Hogan but at least they are gone. Now time for Bree and Tish to go at least. 

What I thought we needed in we have got most done; a GK (Heaton) two CB (we got 3 obviously because of Chester's fitness after Hause who was already in at that point, in Engles, Mings and Konsa) one DCM in Marvelous but of course we had the bonus of Luiz too,  and one RW in Trez (I know he is more LW).  

So the second Striker was all we missed out on. But we got the LB we all wanted too I strangely did not include back then but most did. So all in, the only point I am making is today its a bit gutting we didn't get one or two more (although who knows just yet) but this is already more than most wanted in June with one extra CB and one extra DCM than most hoped for. So we are one squad player up on most fans wishes. 

But more than the one extra player, the bigger plus point is the quality. I was hoping from the 7 extra we needed at that point, two would need to be starters. I would say from those we signed from that point,  Mings, Engels, Heaton, Targett, Trez, Marvelous and Luiz, all of those 7 could be starters throghout the season. 

Awesome window. Best for a long time. 

Just to update the 'need to be registered list'. We are under the 25 player limit now.

12 Homegrown players*
12 Non home-grown players

1) Heaton*
2) Kalinic
3) Nyland
4) Steer*

5) Elmohamady
6) Taylor*
7) Guilbert
8 )Targett*

9)Chester*
10)Mings*
11)Engels
12)Hause*
13)Konsa*

14)Lansbury*
15)Hourihane*
16)Nakamba
17)McGinn
18)Tshibola*
19)Grealish*

20)Jota
21)Trezeguet
22)El Ghazi

23)Kodjia
24)Wesley
25)

U21 - Douglas Luiz, Davis, O'Hare, Suliman

Loan out - Sarkic*(Livingstone), Bree* (Luton), Hogan* (Stoke) - U21 Loan out - RHM (Tranmere), JDH (Cheltenham), Green (Preston)

Edited by VILLAMARV
numberwang
  • Like 1

Very happy with defence and midfield.

Feel we are light on the wing... 3 great options but a 4th (Benrahma) would have been the icing on the cake

Would have been nice to add another body up front as well.

Watching the NBC deadline day coverage here in the USA... 

Had a spotlight for Norwich where they praised them for not spending a lot of money, "sticking with the same team that brought them up", and had nothing but high praise for Farke and his "Brilliant" brand of football.  They went to Villa next, and immediately compared us to Fulham, talked about how we'll "struggle" to get all these new signings to gel and get used to the Premier League.  There was a crack about how Dean Smith is a "really nice man" but "he's got a lot to do" to get us to survive and had to question whether or not Grealish could "step up" to the Premier League this time around...

Such complete garbage...  Fun Fact:  Norwich also signed 12 players this summer, did you know that???  Of course not, because that doesn't fit the narrative the media has written for the three promoted clubs this season.

• Like 3

As good as this window has been, feels to me like we're a CB heavy and striker like.

Really suprised we didn't get a frontman in today (not too fussed on another wide player). Guess we'll see how first few games pan out for Wesley and Kodjia against premier league defences and if needs be dip in for Sturridge or some other free agent.

Not ideal and a surprise to me given how effective we've been at doing deals this summer. Wonder if we missed out on anyone last few days?

Â