The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Makes perfect sense to me, in the majority of games we will line up:

Luiz

McGinn  Grealish

If we are up against it, and the back line is under pressure we now have the option to play.

Luiz    Nakamba

Grealish

Whenever we were up against it last season, McGinn was our savior. To take him out of the midfield in this situation would be an odd one, for me.

I see what you're getting at, but I would expect something more along the lines of a slight change of formation, to fit in two defensive midfielders with McGinn in front and then probably 2 of Grealish/ El Ghazi/ Trezequet on the wings. 

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Whenever we were up against it last season, McGinn was our savior. To take him out of the midfield in this situation would be an odd one, for me.

I see what you're getting at, but I would expect something more along the lines of a slight change of formation, to fit in two defensive midfielders with McGinn in front and then probably 2 of Grealish/ El Ghazi/ Trezequet on the wings. 

diamond, with Trezeguet/Jota supporting Wesley

On 25/07/2019 at 15:53, Junxs said:

Hope the club have remembered there's a 25 man squad rule!

This is exactly what I was talking about when debating with those that wanted Glen Whelan to stay, would you rather have him over Douglas or Marvelous?

Totally unexpericed players but very exceting. First year in PL and the team needs experience. Second year in PL i would take both of theme. I would skip Marvelous in the first year and have Whelan.

• Confused 1

Steer

Guilbert mings Chester targett 

McGinn marvellous luiz 

Grealish jota 

Wes 

If and it's a big if the midfield 3 and then the behind the striker 2 have the chemistry to move about all over the shop (ie jota and jack go wide one of them one of them steps up) and the full backs bomb on (again with the CM then dropping to cover) 

Could work nicely 

Squad still contains a couple of senior players who offer absolutely nothing at this level.

Taylor, Thor, Hogan, Nyland, Tshibola, (Chester pending how bad the injury is) Lansbury will all have to be registered in the 25 man squad to play but will offer little or nothing.

Kodjia at least has his moments of brilliance but I doubt he'll feature much.

Bree, O'Hare, Green and Davis still young enough to not take up a spot among the 25 (I think?)

19 minutes ago, sne said:

Squad still contains a couple of senior players who offer absolutely nothing at this level.

Taylor, Thor, Hogan, Nyland, Tshibola, (Chester pending how bad the injury is) Lansbury will all have to be registered in the 25 man squad to play but will offer little or nothing.

Kodjia at least has his moments of brilliance but I doubt he'll feature much.

Bree, O'Hare, Green and Davis still young enough to not take up a spot among the 25 (I think?)

No way will all of them be in the final squad. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Attacking wise we can score against anyone, i got no issues there.

Agreed. As long as our first PL fixtures are against Scunthorpe and Charlton, we'll be grand.

• Haha 1

I have suddenley got more of a boner for a new keeper - not that Steer has done much wrong - but with the defence in front of him looking easily exposed we could perhaps do with a GK with a few worldies in his locker.

This may  be the largest number of  technically gifted players in a Villa squad that I can recall. 

We have a local lad in charge who doesn't play for a draw.

If it's ever going to happen for us it's starts now.

• Like 2

As we know a 25 man squad needs to be submitted when the transfer window closes and before the season begins.

This is what we have:

1) Steer* 2) Kailinic 3) Nyland

4) Elmo 5) Guilbert 6) Targett* 7) Taylor*

8/ Mings* 9) Hause* 10) Engels 11) Chester* 

12) Luiz 13) Nakamba 14) Hourihane 

15) McGinn* 16) Grealish* 17) Lansbury* 18) Bjarnasson

19) Hassan 20) El Ghazi 21) Jota

22) Wesley 23) Kodjia 24) Hogan* 

Do not have to be registered due to age: Konsa, Bree, Davis, O'Hare, Hepburn-Murphy, Green (interesting side note - the first 4 names will not qualify for exemption next season)

* home grown players, we have 10 from my calculations

Expecting Nakamba to sign in the coming week, which leaves space for 1 more before culling is forced.

Edited by Junxs
  • Like 3

^ before anyone points it out, I have purposely left off Tshibola - he hasnt featured in any of the preseason games so is likely off

• Like 1

Centre mid competition then...

DM: Luiz, Nakamba

CM: Grealish, McGinn, Lansbury, Hourihane

I think either of the DMs could play further up if needed, neither is a true "Makelele" (or "Whelan" if you prefer) who doesn't go forward.

We've then got Jota who could possibly sit in a very advanced central role.

Hourihane could be used as a hefty makeweight if we're trying to save some money and buying anyone from the Championship. Don't think there would be as much interest in Lansbury as he hardly played last year, Hourihane's stock will never be this high again.

12 hours ago, Junxs said:

As we know a 25 man squad needs to be submitted when the transfer window closes and before the season begins.

This is what we have:

1) Steer* 2) Kailinic 3) Nyland

4) Elmo 5) Guilbert 6) Targett* 7) Taylor*

8/ Mings* 9) Hause* 10) Engels 11) Chester* 

12) Luiz 13) Nakamba 14) Hourihane 

15) McGinn* 16) Grealish* 17) Lansbury* 18) Bjarnasson

19) Hassan 20) El Ghazi 21) Jota

22) Wesley 23) Kodjia 24) Hogan* 

Do not have to be registered due to age: Konsa, Bree, Davis, O'Hare, Hepburn-Murphy, Green (interesting side note - the first 4 names will not qualify for exemption next season)

* home grown players, we have 10 from my calculations

Expecting Nakamba to sign in the coming week, which leaves space for 1 more before culling is forced.

So, based on the above (and adding Tshibola back in, just for completeness), if we bring in Nakamba, a goalkeeper and a striker, as expected, then this would give us a squad of 27 players that are eligible to be registered, and therefore we should expect to see two of the following loaned or sold:

Kalinic, Nyland, Tshibola, Lansbury, Bjarnason, Kodjia, Hogan

My guess is Kalinic and Tshibola.

• Like 1

Â