Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Don't get too excited! We all know that Villa's defence was abiding by the social distancing rule months before it was officially introduced. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, useless said:

Looking at our fixtures if we can stay up it will be extremely surprising, impressive, amazing. Lets hope so.

6 home games though

Chelsea game is interesting. They could potentially be without Abraham and Kante

Edited by villalad21

13 hours ago, nick76 said:

2) If I know about some places, what about the places I don’t know about as I’m guessing this is not uncommon not only locally but all around the country

I apply this rule too.

Just yesterday I saw a horrific murder on my street and with a shrug of my shoulders, I thought “what about all the other murders happening? not my problem guvnor”

After yesterday does anyone have any confidence in the Premier League saying that they are working with the government to ensure the safety of players, club employees and fans?

I'd always interpreted it as 'we want to make sure the rules don't apply to us because we are part of the elite and want our money' but now it really couldn't be clearer that public health is not the main concern.  I'm not even sure public health hits the top 5 concerns, it is an inconvenience to be worked around in persuit of more important things like shiny trophies.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I apply this rule too.

Just yesterday I saw a horrific murder on my street and with a shrug of my shoulders, I thought “what about all the other murders happening? not my problem guvnor”

See, you understand! Glad I wasn’t alone.

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Looking at our fixtures if we can stay up it will be extremely surprising, impressive, amazing. Lets hope so.

Teams around us have equally hard fixtures and have been as poor the season as us.

Depends if you're one of these fans who thinks it's only us that can be shit... 

At least 1 of the teams down there are going to come back pull some results out of nowhere but its going to be incredibly hard to precdict

Watford for example could easily go in to woe is me mode as just sink but I think more likely than that is Pearson being the angry man that he is will get them playing pissed off making them a good team, West ham on the other hand could be prime candidates for never actually turning up post restart, they're a team full of underperformers, conversely they have no pressure from their fans breathing down their neck and could play with less nerves 

It will change on a weekly basis too as different teams achieve different things, the Liverpool game could be very different to how it looks on paper if they've won the league and klopp changes his tune 

• Like 2

I think lack of fans is showing the bad teams and the bad players. I would expect Burnley and Palace maybe Sheffield United to struggle and West Ham and maybe Everton to improve. Not sure on Newcastle as they have dire tactics so might not have an effect. 

If our players have a mental block with fans it will help us

• Like 1

Has anyone considered the positive impact that playing in an empty stadium could have on our players? 

We’ve all heard players wax lyrical about the Holte End in full roar. The 12th man is a huge boost when it’s on form, I’ve seen it many times myself. But what about when we’re not playing well? The anxiety and tension is tangible on the pitch. Throw in the abuse that so many can’t contain and it can be an intimidating place for our team. It takes a certain mentality to play in front of 42k, some players can’t handle it. They get nervous, and worry about the reaction to misplacing a pass. Many players end up hiding for large periods, scared to make a mistake. 

Dean Smith’s comments on training ground players stand out recently, as do Jack’s comments about El Ghazi’s ability to score with ruthless accuracy, in training. If we are forced to continue with the season, which now looks very likely. I wonder how much more confident some of our players might feel when they’re freed from fear. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I think lack of fans is showing the bad teams and the bad players. I would expect Burnley and Palace maybe Sheffield United to struggle and West Ham and maybe Everton to improve. Not sure on Newcastle as they have dire tactics so might not have an effect. 

If our players have a mental block with fans it will help us

It'll be interesting to see.  We do better at home as well in front of our fans instead of away.  So maybe it's not the fan generally but mean fans from nasty horrible opposing teams that hurt our players feelings. 🤣

Will be interesting though to see if we play different without fans as Dean has spoken before that we have some training ground players, so I am looking forward to see who thrives under these conditions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It'll be interesting to see.  We do better at home as well in front of our fans instead of away.  So maybe it's not the fan generally but mean fans from nasty horrible opposing teams that hurt our players feelings. 🤣

Will be interesting though to see if we play different without fans as Dean has spoken before that we have some training ground players, so I am looking forward to see who thrives under these conditions.

Wonder if it's our defenders who defend better in training or if it's our attackers that score more goals in training because they are up against our woeful defense?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder if it's our defenders who defend better in training or if it's our attackers that score more goals in training because they are up against our woeful defense?

Well our defenders didnt have a striker against them for a period with Wes and Davis injured and Kodj walking around like a sulking kid so maybe that's why they werent conceding many goals and then our strikers arent prolific scoring so maybe our defenders looked better against a lesser strikeforce. 

Genuinely though I hope it's our defence as our attack isnt too bad, if we could just hold our defence better by our defenders and midfield we wouldnt be in this position in the league.  It's just silly mistakes....even off the top of my head I'm thinking the slip against Spurs last kick to lose the game.  One off you can look away but we make so many little unforced mistakes.  I understand the argument that we concede too many shots against us, which is obviously going to cause mistakes and that's a coaching things but I really worry that in central defence and defensive midfield we are really poor, with only Mings at a level needed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The problem isn’t really the manager tbh, it’s just that we keep signing really shit players every transfer window. 

A real manager does his own transfer business.

Because we were so shit before coronabreak, we will have a better chance of staying up now than we would have without corona. So many things are uncertain now and can come into play. Motivation, health, home advantage, conditioning... I don't think we'll stay up, but our chances have improved.