Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

38 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's been said many times but it's worth restating on a regular basis. Germany has had far less deaths from Covid19 than the UK. Yesterday for example, Germany had 73 deaths from Covid19, the UK had 468.

Perhaps if we stop saying that "486 people have DIED from Covid19 in the last 24 hours" and instead said that "486 people have been KILLED by Covid19 in the last 24 hours" then the real horror of this ongoing tragedy would sink in.

This disease is killing people in their hundreds daily, and yet we are arguing about how to entertain football fans in the midst of this.

Perhaps when football starts again, and we're confronted with the bizarre sight of 20 millionaires running around chasing a ball when most of us aren't able to even see our families, we'll notice the empty seats and realise that those seats could all represent a corpse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

It's more manageable to finish off 10 games than a full season.

Er no just no, I guess you didn't see the news today...

Nearly 500 deaths and three and a half thousand new cases...

Be at least a month before we can even think of Project Restart and then it'll be impossible to squeeze in the necessary fixtures.

It seems more pertinent to me from a planning point of view to actually think this through rather than the current philosophy of let's try this and see if it sticks approach, you know maybe put some actual thought into the process!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The threat to football as we move forward is becoming as much about time as about the virus. UEFA/FIFA will not move Euro 2021 and the Premier League is very rapidly approaching an either this season or next season decision.

Fifa want to play 7-8 international games in November and December next season.

As much as I understand people saying ditch this season and start a new one in August it simply isn't going to be a normal schedule at all.

I'd personally wait a bit more and draw up some proper plans rather than start a new one and suddenly it's announced within weeks of starting the league and FA cup will need to be cancelled to fit in all the extra international games for euros and world cup 2022.

That's if international travel is allowed of course which isn't certain. And we don't get a deadly wave of covid once winter hits given vaccine and herd immunity are both still many months away.

Majority of it will be BCD anyway. If people hated today in the Bundesliga well there's going to be 20 + rounds of premier league 20-21 of it if it starts in August.

Uefa really should ditch the nations league given it's format dosen't really impact much on world cup qualifying bar the odd play off fall back. Can just go straight to world cup qualifiers (and play the cancelled play off games for Euros in March 2021 if needs be).

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Adding in the cup and European games, I think you're looking at more like eight weeks. I think ideally they'd be looking to start on the weekend of 8th August, but they'd probably accept weekend of 15th August. Looking at a full weeks gap for a regroup from the 15th and counting eight weeks back from there - we'd need to be playing on 13th June to be absolutely squeezing these games in. There's a reason the league proposed the 12th June. 

That means no pre-season and international players playing from mid June to the end of next June - it'll be carnage, but it's doable. 

Starting after 12th June really is very difficult.

You can start in middle of September and finish the season no problem if the league cup is culled for one year which is a possibility, 3-4 midweeks become available.

Wouldn't shock me if they changed the format of european qualification and ditched group stages for straight knock out that would start in February 2021.

Don't forget aswell they'll very likely be no international breaks in September and October as I can't really see premier league players flying to Africa and South America for matches so that's another 4-5 games you can fit in when you normally wouldn't have the chance.

Matches are going to have to be cut and re-jigged, it won't be a normal schedule at all bar league fixtures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's been said many times but it's worth restating on a regular basis. Germany has had far less deaths from Covid19 than the UK. Yesterday for example, Germany had 73 deaths from Covid19, the UK had 468.

Perhaps if we stop saying that "486 people have DIED from Covid19 in the last 24 hours" and instead said that "486 people have been KILLED by Covid19 in the last 24 hours" then the real horror of this ongoing tragedy would sink in.

This disease is killing people in their hundreds daily, and yet we are arguing about how to entertain football fans in the midst of this.

One good thing today at least is many football fans desperately craving their football fix stayed in today and watched it (or moaned about how boring it was :lol:) rather than go outside and dry to the coast for daily exercise and infect a few more people.

57 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah UEFA have already talked heavily about completing the Champions League

Yeah they've sort of claimed it might happen in August (which would surely put in doubt the premier league actually starting a new season in Mid August?) but let's remember the CL and europa was a bit of a super spreader of the disase in the first place. You allegedly had the Olympiacos owner meeting with Arteta, Valencia-Atalanta and then stupid decision to have 55k crowd at Liverpool-A Madrid when Madrid was already a hotspot of covid.

With all the arguments over domestic leagues restarts it seems a bit of a leap to have an international competition between teams from different countries restarting again so soon particularly with the countries all at different rates of infection.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah they've sort of claimed it might happen in August (which would surely put in doubt the premier league actually starting a new season in Mid August?) but let's remember the CL and europa was a bit of a super spreader of the disase in the first place. You allegedly had the Olympiacos owner meeting with Arteta, Valencia-Atalanta and then stupid decision to have 55k crowd at Liverpool-A Madrid when Madrid was already a hotspot of covid.

With all the arguments over domestic leagues restarts it seems a bit of a leap to have an international competition between teams from different countries restarting again so soon particularly with the countries all at different rates of infection.

So where is the line? Teams can charter private planes to Europe to play games.  Once there, why is that more risky than a domestic game if the same protocols are in place?  Those games drive more revenue than domestic games and this is more about money than integrity or health. So why not play them instead?  Liverpool vs Barcelona is better tv money and more uplifting to the nation/europe than Villa vs Palace.  They’ve followed the same protocols and safety, re crowds and testing.  UK is one of the worst deaths rates so if UK is playing footy then this seems an ok idea then.

See, to me, it’s just a farce at all but if they are going to do it, where is line because there are arguments for all cases if the want to make it.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The FA will, it's a huge source of income for them.

UEFA will, it's a huge source of income for them.

The problem with the different types of football that need to be fitted in is that the money goes to lots of different people - no one is going to empty their own pocket for the benefit of someone else.

It just isn't happening.

You think teams will be traveling across Europe to play games? Not a chance in that happening.

Also there just isn't enough time to get it done. Forget cups and Europe. It's done.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

You can start in middle of September and finish the season no problem if the league cup is culled for one year which is a possibility, 3-4 midweeks become available.

Wouldn't shock me if they changed the format of european qualification and ditched group stages for straight knock out that would start in February 2021.

Don't forget aswell they'll very likely be no international breaks in September and October as I can't really see premier league players flying to Africa and South America for matches so that's another 4-5 games you can fit in when you normally wouldn't have the chance.

Matches are going to have to be cut and re-jigged, it won't be a normal schedule at all bar league fixtures.

Actually they can do the following, adding PL and Championship teams on later stages, cancel replays in FA cup. Cancel home and away in semis for LC. Most of teams will play reserves anyway. Whoever don’t want to take it seriously let them do as Liverpool done by playing kids. 

That’s the least concern in my opinion. For CL and EL just cancel group stages and begin it with knockouts.

Then it’s up to every team were to focus. Without canceling any.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It just isn't happening.

You think teams will be traveling across Europe to play games? Not a chance in that happening.

Also there just isn't enough time to get it done. Forget cups and Europe. It's done.

Uefa have pencilled in champs league games in August .More countries are opening Thier borders for flights and we are still in May so they have given themselves enough time.The talk is the semis will be one leg at neutral venue then the final so they basically need a week to get it done in August.

I am far more confident the champs league will play out than the PL 

Reports tonight at L1 will follow L2 in PPG but not sure of relegation ,the issue for me is there reasons are no fans and can't afford testing I don't see how either of those issues are resolved by Sept.At best of a antibodies test is released it may negate the testing fee but no fans kills them.

So then you have 50% of the top 4 leagues unviable to play so that  if you a Championship side now and can be sent down your facing oblivion.I think it's currently tight for the Championship to restart as well.

Have to wait and see what happens Monday 

4 hours ago, weedman said:

Aren't all circles neverending? 

I'm not sure you fully understand circles

I didn't say they weren't, just that this is like one. So there, clever clogs.

As for them " corners ", I'm sure they're the metaphorical type with a splash of unintentional punnery.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

This thread is like a neverending circle .

Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel
Like a snowball down a mountain, or a carnival balloon
Like a carousel that's turning running rings around the moon
Like a clock whose hands are sweeping past the minutes of its face
And the world is like an apple whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind!;)

34 minutes ago, John said:

Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel
Like a snowball down a mountain, or a carnival balloon
Like a carousel that's turning running rings around the moon
Like a clock whose hands are sweeping past the minutes of its face
And the world is like an apple whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind!;)

Which, kind of sums up the whole thread.

Well, you're lucky I'm here to give a temporary relief from the circle every now and then with my Finnish news. Our league will start first of July, and likely with max 400 fans. The government has put a 500 people ceiling to sport events. On average we had 2.620 people in the stands in 2019, so 400 is not so bad.

After watching yesterday's Bundesliga, and comparing it to the trip to the full mall in Helsinki earlier in the day, I have no doubt those 400-500 people can watch a football game safely, being spread around the stands. That would be better than empty stands.

What has this got to do with PL 2019-2020? Not much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52680124

Business analysts Vysyble estimate Premier League clubs will lose £878m if matches have to be played behind closed doors until the end of the 2020-21 season. The bigger clubs suffer the heaviest losses, with Manchester United set to lose £140m and Arsenal £122m. Bournemouth's income would reduce by £6.7m.