Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

BBC says Werder Bremen is Aston Villa. I'm still Mönchengladbach... after all, they haven't won anything since 1995..

Villa are definitely Hamburg even down to a European Cup win, even had mirroring seasons in recent times of making up the top flight numbers

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

This is a problem and a monumental slap in the face of front-line workers.

Yeah but you know.....as long as Liverpool and win the championship to cheer up the nation. 

8 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Just watching the Dortmound game with no fans - spoiler alert  , its crap 

Yeah I just opened up my BT App, watched one minute and switched off.

It's pointless, no atmosphere and with random shouting from the sidelines it' s really annoying.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah I just opened up my BT App, watched one minute and switched off.

It's pointless, no atmosphere and with random shouting from the sidelines it' s really annoying.

Goal scored player runs to corner flag , then stands there ..team mates wonder over but stay 2 mtrs away ..FFS 

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Just watching the Dortmound game with no fans - spoiler alert  , its crap 

It's underwhelming for sure.

The most important thing is finishing an almost complete season and then we can look ahead to maybe saving next season. Although CL and Europa League seem highly unlikely.

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think we wait at least a month...

Too many people are dying, infected and worried about the UK relaxing measures too soon.

Football, for me is really low down the list of priorities.

Despite us disagreeing on a few moot points I do agree mid of July is more realistic for English football to come back in some form. All teams aren't even back in training yet (german teams were back from middle of April) and there's still dispute in all the aspects of matchday and even where the games will take plave of course.

If you restart in mid July you can still get the league season done by end of August (if Uefa allows of course). I really can't see how next season will just be played like a normal season so you will have less games to play overall.

Today nearly 500 deaths have been announced which isn't great considering the number is usually much lower on a weekend and with the relaxation of exercise restrictions it could easily stay around 400-600 going into June.

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We are aren’t we? I though the restart date proposed was June 12th or something?

Look at what Purslow said a few weeks ago that we weren't even close to football resuming, they are throwing around crazy ideas and hoping something sticks.

I meant we are waiting a month, the poster I was answering seemed to imply football in the PL should restart immediately (which would be crazy).

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

Goal scored player runs to corner flag , then stands there ..team mates wonder over but stay 2 mtrs away ..FFS 

On this note, what is the point of substitutes social distancing, then if they go on the pitch, not social distancing? This is absolutely bizarre. Greed really is ruling the roost here.

• Like 1

Surely if we don’t continue the season and The fa ratify Stevenage are not relegated then that  must apply To all 4 divisions ? It would be ludicrous to relegate teams with 10 games to play and grossly unfair . 

That aside I think it’s ridiculous to even think about restarting football in the uk in the current situation . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 3

In my opinion, it's not safe to restart yet. There is a clear risk to the players, to club staff, to officials, to everyone else inside the ground on match days, to people who will gather together to watch the games and to all of their families. It's not right for football to use tests, medical staff or police that could be better used elsewhere at the moment either.

The season could be ended now and the new season started when it's safer to do so, and when there is a decent chance of it being finished. The PL instead put financial considerations before public health.  Every life is precious, whether the person is young or old, fit or in poor health, rich or poor. At the moment, I think most of us consider that starting the season again now would present a risk to life, that we would be loathe to take. Does anyone really think that "yes" is the answer to the following question yet?    

Is It Safe? | MTGPrice Blog

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

This thread is like a neverending circle .

Yep we have two corners, those that want the season played and finished and those that want it ended now.

I want it ended now, football shouldn’t be played at the moment.

I understand the potential consequences that this may lead to our relegation but I don’t think it will happen, I honestly don’t despite what others may say.  If they do relegate I hope the Villa sue them to high heaven and it will be a disgrace.

Would it change my opinion that the season should end now and we are guaranteed to be relegated? No, not at all.  If we get relegated that’s a political choice by the FA and PL, by an arbitrary system but at the moment health is more important and thus we will be relegated.

If football continues it’s a disgrace, never mind whether we avoid relegation or not because 1) priorities during this health crisis and 2) season is finishing under a different environment and rules.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I want it ended now, football shouldn’t be played at the moment.

But we don't know how things will progress in June. Why the rush to end it now?

In a months time England may be where Germany are today and we can start playing games again.

And if not in June then we have to aim for July/August

Edited by villalad21

The threat to football as we move forward is becoming as much about time as about the virus. UEFA/FIFA will not move Euro 2021 and the Premier League is very rapidly approaching an either this season or next season decision.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And if not in June then we have to aim for July/August

Aiming to restart in July or August would mean firstly the Premier league and EFL agreeing on a way to either truncate or abandon the 2020-21 league season and the FA agreeing to delay/truncate the League Cup, and getting UEFA to agree to delay the start of their Champions league and Europa League programmes in order to give them time to wait to see who qualifies from England. It'd be very, very difficult - and that's being generous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The threat to football as we move forward is becoming as much about time as about the virus. UEFA/FIFA will not move Euro 2021 and the Premier League is very rapidly approaching an either this season or next season decision.

Yeah and none will give up their competitions either.  UEFA will want their European competitions fully played and completed, FIFA have already indicated they want their international matches completed, PL/FA/UEFA want the leagues done, they also want the cup competitions done and the EFL want relegation and promotions done.  Something has to give because time is running out all the competitions have big money, big sponsors and owned by different governing bodies of football who wont want to give up any of that revenue for this season or next season.  People say we have to forget Europe next season but that is a massive money maker for UEFA, just as the FA Cup is a big money maker for the FA and similarly the League Cup.

• Thanks 1