Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

30 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

This thread is like a neverending circle .

I's more like a spiral that gets smaller on each rotation - we're a couple of weeks away from needing a decision if we're to fit both seasons in by June 2021.

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But we don't know how things will progress in June. Why the rush to end it now?

In a months time England may be where Germany are today and we can start playing games again.

And if not in June then we have to aim for July/August

It likely won't be, looking at the figures and easing lockdown too soon. 

The issue is time the longer this season drags on with no ending, decision or completion the worse next season will be impacted.

It's a busy two years of Euro 2020/21, World Cup 2022 and aren't there African Nations to fit in? Something's got to give and it really can't be next season due to plans, timings, logistics etc...

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Aiming to restart in July or August would mean firstly the Premier league and EFL agreeing on a way to either truncate or abandon the 2020-21 league season and the FA agreeing to delay/truncate the League Cup, and getting UEFA to agree to delay the start of their Champions league and Europa League programmes in order to give them time to wait to see who qualifies from England. It'd be very, very difficult - and that's being generous.

Next season might have to get voided regardless, depending on how this Virus evolves. It may turn more aggressive and we'll have a second wave.

It's  more manageable to finish off 10 games than a full season.

But let's just wait and see how things change. As of now, no need to make any rash decisions yet.

Edited by villalad21

I think UEFA have been very flexible with the schedule but they wont be giving way much more. They will want to start preliminary qualifying games on the new schedule with no more delays. 

A lot of clubs in smaller leagues need that money more than big teams and Ceferin knows what he needs for re-election

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

It's  more manageable to finish off 10 games than a full season.

Except TV companies and sponsors who will lose a full season for 10 games

• Like 2

I don't see the rush.

We're only in mid May still. 10 games can be finished in 3 weeks.

A normal season usually starts 12th of August. We're still a long way from that.

If we are in August and we still can't play football i'd be on board with you, but end it now? Nah.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't see the rush.

A normal season usually starts 12th of August. We're still a long way from that.

If we are in August and we still can't play football i'd be on board with you, but end it now? Nah.

Is this bloke for real

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Adding in the cup and European games, I think you're looking at more like eight weeks. I think ideally they'd be looking to start on the weekend of 8th August, but they'd probably accept weekend of 15th August. Looking at a full weeks gap for a regroup from the 15th and counting eight weeks back from there - we'd need to be playing on 13th June to be absolutely squeezing these games in. There's a reason the league proposed the 12th June. 

That means no pre-season and international players playing from mid June to the end of next June - it'll be carnage, but it's doable. 

Starting after 12th June really is very difficult.

It's been said many times but it's worth restating on a regular basis. Germany has had far less deaths from Covid19 than the UK. Yesterday for example, Germany had 73 deaths from Covid19, the UK had 468.

Perhaps if we stop saying that "486 people have DIED from Covid19 in the last 24 hours" and instead said that "486 people have been KILLED by Covid19 in the last 24 hours" then the real horror of this ongoing tragedy would sink in.

This disease is killing people in their hundreds daily, and yet we are arguing about how to entertain football fans in the midst of this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Adding in the cup and European games, I think you're looking at more like eight weeks. I think ideally they'd be looking t ostatt on the weekend of 8th August, but they'd probably accept weekend of 15th August. Looking at a full weeks gap for a regroup from the 15th and counting eight weeks back from there - we'd need to be playing on 13th June to be absolutely squeezing these games in. There's a reason the league proposed the 12th June. 

That means no pre-season and international players playing from mid June to the end of next June - it'll be carnage, but it's doable. 

So that's an early August finish. You could then aim for a late September start to the following season . Anyway theres a lot of bridges to cross yet 

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's been said many times but it's worth restating on a regular basis. Germany has had far less deaths from Covid19 than the UK. Yesterday for example, Germany had 73 deaths from Covid19, the UK had 468.

Perhaps if we stop saying that "486 people have DIED from Covid19 in the last 24 hours" and instead said that "486 people have been KILLED by Covid19 in the last 24 hours" then the real horror of this ongoing tragedy would sink in.

This disease is killing people in their hundreds daily, and yet we are arguing about how to entertain football fans in the midst of this.

For me the key figure is the daily infection rate. In Germany its a few hundred a day her its still in the thousands. There again you have to look at the demographics. In London it has dropped dramtically wheras the North east its really high 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

So that's an early August finish. You could then aim for a late September start to the following season.

A late September start would be very difficult - the season will need to finish in the first week of May in order to allow the various cup finals and playoffs before the Euros. Late September would give you 32 weeks for a full league season, both domestic cups and the international calendar - in real terms it's 64 opportunities for games which seems like plenty of room, but the Champions league for example would want exclusivity on nine of those dates, the FA Cup would want two and international football will take around another six or seven - it gets very tight very quickly unless we start in August.

As you say, there are still a lot of bridges to be crossed - but I don't think they have too much time to start making decisions. 

52 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I's more like a spiral that gets smaller on each rotation - we're a couple of weeks away from needing a decision if we're to fit both seasons in by June 2021.

It's the dizziness that bothers me.

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Adding in the cup and European games, I think you're looking at more like eight weeks. I think ideally they'd be looking to start on the weekend of 8th August, but they'd probably accept weekend of 15th August. Looking at a full weeks gap for a regroup from the 15th and counting eight weeks back from there - we'd need to be playing on 13th June to be absolutely squeezing these games in. There's a reason the league proposed the 12th June. 

I don't think they have any intentions finishing the cups.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think they do, The Champions League is the jewel in UEFAs crown. They will want to finish that at all costs.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The FA will, it's a huge source of income for them.

UEFA will, it's a huge source of income for them.

The problem with the different types of football that need to be fitted in is that the money goes to lots of different people - no one is going to empty their own pocket for the benefit of someone else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I think they do, The Champions League is the jewel in UEFAs crown. They will want to finish that at all costs.

Yeah UEFA have already talked heavily about completing the Champions League