Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

WIth all these quotes from Smith today seems that maybe clubs have been briefed that the season is going to resume...

"I feel when the season eventually begins again it will be a new season for us. I always said our second season would be better and unfortunately a pandemic has hit us. When we do restart it will be a second season and we will be better for that."

BBC

• Like 1

Just seen a article on The Athletic that PL Doctors have sent a email with 100 questions on how it can be 100% safe to play and other questions,1st time the Doctors have got involved next players will cant see the league starting and if Boris extends lockdown as they think no chance

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, midian said:

Just seen a article on The Athletic that PL Doctors have sent a email with 100 questions on how it can be 100% safe to play and other questions,1st time the Doctors have got involved next players will cant see the league starting and if Boris extends lockdown as they think no chance

I see it's your 666th post and you have made a deal with the devil and swapped all your life's worth of punctuation and grammar for immortal life ? Or am I way off ?

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

9 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I see it's your 666th post and you have made a deal with the devil and swapped all your life's worth of punctuation and grammar for immortal life ? Or am I way off ?

Yes sir,I was very punctual and good with my grammar up until that post.Sorry for the inconvenience.😆

Edited by midian
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

As I said before all eyes are on Germany. If they restart next week then it’s very Likely we will too 

Extremely different situations regarding Covid-19 thou.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjackle said:

Lots of talk about the premier league restarting, but I haven't really seen yet how the championship or league 1 will start. If they can't I wonder what they will do?

thats what I'm thinking too. I saw they want to do BCD (obviously) but still have home & away which makes no sense to me if the PL isn't doing so. Also suspect it could be unfeasible financial wise for L1/L2 to do BCD

It seems to me the government keep on encouraging the premier league to return in June. You have all these "leaked" reports every few days to the press and today Raab was directly asked in the briefing about football coming back next month and he said he was all for it. Frustratingly the medical officer alongside him wasn't asked for her thoughts (would've been interested in her going into the practicalities) but again if premier league is continuing to get government backing it isn't cancelled unless clubs and players just refuse to play which of course could easily happen.

Obviously in France the government just banned sport until September pretty much so that was that.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It seems to me the government keep on encouraging the premier league to return in June. You have all these "leaked" reports every few days to the press and today Raab was directly asked in the briefing about football coming back next month and he said he was all for it. Frustratingly the medical officer alongside him wasn't asked for her thoughts (would've been interested in her going into the practicalities) but again if premier league is continuing to get government backing it isn't cancelled unless clubs and players just refuse to play which of course could easily happen.

Obviously in France the government just banned sport until September pretty much so that was that.

The French Gov are pumping cash into the clubs to make up for the loss of TV cash 

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/lfp-confirms-imminent-receipt-of-e224-5m-loan-from-the-french-government-to-support-clubs-following-league-cancellation/

The General Assembly of the LFP voted this agenda item through via a video conference this afternoon, the size of the loan will be €224.5m, according to L’Équipe, and has been sought to make up for the shortfall linked to the termination of payments from Canal + and BeIN Sports, who were the 2019/20 Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 broadcasters.

Might not be as politically acceptable here if the Gov stumped up the 700 odd mil to make up the short  fall  

• Like 2

Havw a feeling what they might try to do is play maybe two or three games  let liverpool win title and the  if we have had played same numbee of games as everyone else they will just end season with 8 or 7 to go and leave table as it is with relegation and promotion in place for those occupying those spaces

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Germany is 5 weeks ahead of UK and has had 25000 less deaths

I realise that but by early June we could be where Germany are now in terms of daily new cases and fatalities. In fact it will be shocking if we are not 

Edited by PaulC

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Havw a feeling what they might try to do is play maybe two or three games  let liverpool win title and the  if we have had played same numbee of games as everyone else they will just end season with 8 or 7 to go and leave table as it is with relegation and promotion in place for those occupying those spaces

Can’t see it.  Imagine if we climb out after a couple of wins and let’s say West Ham drop into the bottom three, there will be uproar from the cockneys!

2 hours ago, useless said:

WIth all these quotes from Smith today seems that maybe clubs have been briefed that the season is going to resume...

"I feel when the season eventually begins again it will be a new season for us. I always said our second season would be better and unfortunately a pandemic has hit us. When we do restart it will be a second season and we will be better for that."

BBC

That's like the dog barking through the fence at another dog because it knows it cant get to it.

If you opened the gate it would slink back to its doggy bed.

In the same way, im pretty sure the villa management talk the good talk about finishing the season, but are secretly elated at the chance of getting a get out of jail card.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I have read that Rick Parry thinks that the premier league parachute payments are a evil that need to be eradicated. A couple of points. Firstly if they scrapped them then all relegated clubs would probably go out of business within a couple of years  due to the huge chasm in tv rights between the premier and football league. Secondly I am surprised that   Mr Parry hasn't exploded in a cloud of  hypocrisy  as when he was chief executive of the Premier League he was one of the key players in creating this  as a totally separate product from the rest of the football league, resulting in said massive financial differences. 

Indeed.

Of course if he is genuinely worried that some Clubs get big parachute payments and others don’t, he could seek agreement with his Clubs to share out such payments amongst all.