Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Purslow himself says that every club wants to finish the season... He also said this...

"The EFL has grave financial problems and those problems predate Covid-19. I think what Covid has done is expose the fact the league is unsustainable at every level.

"One of the reasons I feel very strongly that we need to complete the season and protect TV revenue is that the Premier League really is the driver of revenue that filters throughout English football."

Sussex Express

Yeah I heard him say it but in context of the whole interview it seemed like a wish rather than expected outcome.

47 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Are there 14 teams likely to back it? Surely the only teams that really want the league finished are Liverpool, Leicester and Sheffield United. 

When is all said and done, when all the dust settles,  what really matters is the money.

They will be restarting in June and I will have no interest in it.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

When is all said and done, when all the dust settles,  what really matters is the money.

They will be restarting in June and I will have no interest in it.

This 

Teams with nothing to play for need TV cash , all they need to do is get 11 players to jog around for 90 mins for 9 games to fulfil the quota.It's those at bottom who if they go down are facing oblivion and the rescue of selling players might not be there either ,certainly not at the market rates.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

From the Guardian:

On what metric is this a good idea?

The metric of no games = no cash and the German Gov don't want to pump cash into the football league to keep it afloat 

33 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Same goes with other workplaces.

We can't sit at home forever. There comes a point where we just have to get on with it.

yes agree, the German league will restart and I for one hope it finishes 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Same goes with other workplaces.

We can't sit at home forever. There comes a point where we just have to get on with it.

Darwin Award goes to.....

Really? and you think that point is soon....just the basics of this suggest if you open too quickly then the original projections of death will occur.  Yes we all want to get back to normal life but so many are mixing up lockdown fatigue with actual science.  Just get on with it is just plain daft.

We have to push the scientists and medical experts because they’ll want to be completely safe which is too far but at the same time we need to follow their advice.

We are still at 700 deaths a day...that doesn’t sound like a time to just get on with it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and you think that point is soon

Actually yes i do.

We can't stay home for much longer before our economy collapses.

Also footballers are generally among the fittest people in society. I have a feeling Arteta is immune after recovering.

Mate. We'll just have to see how it goes with the Bundesliga. Will be a good blueprint for the rest.

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that as soon as the majority of deaths is made up of care homes and care staff, that the majority of this country will write them off and expect things to start up again - including premier league. 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Actually yes i do.

We can't stay home for much longer before our economy collapses.

Also footballers are generally among the fittest people in society. I have a feeling Arteta is immune after recovering.

Mate. We'll just have to see how it goes with the Bundesliga. Will be a good blueprint for the rest.

the San Francisco economy? 🤔

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Darwin Award goes to.....

Really? and you think that point is soon....just the basics of this suggest if you open too quickly then the original projections of death will occur.  Yes we all want to get back to normal life but so many are mixing up lockdown fatigue with actual science.  Just get on with it is just plain daft.

We have to push the scientists and medical experts because they’ll want to be completely safe which is too far but at the same time we need to follow their advice.

We are still at 700 deaths a day...that doesn’t sound like a time to just get on with it.

It’s not as many as 700  a day now

• Confused 1

Just now, nick76 said:

693 yesterday, 649 today.....my apologies!  

Sorry I didn’t think it was as high as that yesterday  just read it was 648 today, which is still far too high. What is the current r rate 

The R rate was somewhere between 0.6-0.9 last I heard. But that is because we’ve been locked down. As soon as the restrictions are lifted and things like football start again, the R will increase. 

• Like 1

Just now, It's Your Round said:

The R rate was somewhere between 0.6-0.9 last I heard. But that is because we’ve been locked down. As soon as the restrictions are lifted and things like football start again, the R will increase. 

Yes if it goes above one that’s the point the brakes will come on. Baby steps are needed. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Sorry I didn’t think it was as high as that yesterday  just read it was 648 today, which is still far too high. What is the current r rate 

Those are deaths reported today. Some go back weeks (to the day the person actually died). We're still in the hundreds but it's hopefully not close to 700 now. The way figures are reported is really confusing and misleading. The best graph I've seen illustrating the current situation can be found here...

When it comes to football, God knows. Can't do anything without upsetting loads of people. I don't see how you can relegate anyone though and call it fair. There's no relegation spot until each team has played every other team twice. It's as relevant being in 19th after 28 games as it is after 1 game or 10 games. It's only after 38 that it becomes the relegation zone. If they relegate us for that then play the next year or so behind closed doors I'll probably just jack it all in and do something more productive to be honest. 

Edited by blunther
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, blunther said:

Those are deaths reported today. Some go back weeks (to the day the person actually died). We're still in the hundreds but it's not close to 700 now. The way figures are reported is really confusing and misleading. The best graph I've seen illustrating the current situation can be found here...

When it comes to football, God knows. Can't do anything without upsetting loads of people. I don't see how you can relegate anyone though and call it fair. There's no relegation spot until each team has played every other team twice. It's as relevant being in 19th after 28 games as it is after 1 game or 10 games. It's only after 38 that it becomes the relegation zone. If they relegate us for that then play the next year or so behind closed doors I'll probably just jack it all in and do something more productive to be honest. 

You are not correct, you are missing the other deaths being reported and this is why the Dept of Health and Social Services are providing is the daily deaths instead.  You only have part of the numbers.  I used to look at that site until I was advised not to by an expert and that data is delayed. I did my own test on it and a couple of weeks ago on one day and then looked again 4 days later and those deaths for those previous days had increased.  The deaths are still 693 and 649 for the last two days.

Edited by nick76