Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Away from politics, David Cameron is privately delighted that he's saved his two favourite teams from relegation.

The worst thing about him mixing up the two clubs is the fact his uncle Sir William Dugdale was actually Aston Villa chairman from 1975-82.Obviously when your uncle is chairman of a club who wins the league and European cup you would think you would remember it.

Obviously he didn’t give a toss about football but was trying to appear to be a man of the people.

Edited by Only2McInallys
  • Sad 1

Bundesliga is allowed to return but players can only quarantine together. This will end badly as players will naturally try sneak in a wife or girlfriend 

3 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

The worst thing about him mixing up the two clubs is the fact his uncle Sir William Dugdale was actually Aston Villa chairman from 1975-82.Obviously when your uncle is chairman of a club who wins the league and European cup you would think you would remember it.

To be fair, I think that it was a speech writer that had made the mistake. The former PM, has been seen at a few of our games and has never seemed too confused when asked which team he favours due to his uncle's link to us.  

From the Guardian:

The push to resume has not been universally welcomed. The DFL said on Monday there had been 10 positive tests for coronavirus among 36 clubs in the Bundesliga and second division, adding that 1,724 tests were carried out over two rounds among players and staff.

On what metric is this a good idea?

I believe it when I see it.

Still a few weeks before the first ball will be kicked and the quarantine period has to run without a hitch if they are be allowed to restart.

And even if they manage to play a couple of games I can't see it running Covid free for long enough for them to be able to finish the season.

Not that I want anyone to get seriously ill but I do want them to fail with their restart.

• Like 2

It's reckless. What if a player (or non-playing staff) get sick after one or several fixtures? It will scrap the whole thing again. I'm so over this 'boost the nation' mantra nonsence. Football does not, like any other sport deserve special treatment when it comes to social distance measures.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It's reckless. What if a player (or non-playing staff) get sick after one or several fixtures? It will scrap the whole thing again. I'm so over this 'boost the nation' mantra nonsence. Football does not, like any other sport deserve special treatment when it comes to social distance measures.

Plus ‘boost the nation’, not everybody has sky, BT and/or Amazon so it will mean fans gathering, going to friends, families and other venues to watch the game.  Just means more spread of the virus as there are more times than not that football is not watched alone

if they make it free to air then it defeats the point about the PL doing it for money, so that’s not going to happen either

Edited by nick76

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Are there 14 teams likely to back it? Surely the only teams that really want the league finished are Liverpool, Leicester and Sheffield United. 

I'd have thought the bottom 6 would vote against neutral venues, and at least one of the rest. They would be voting against using neutral venues, not against playing the last games - that gives them an honourable way of saying they don't want the season to complete - as they know it can't if neutral venues are voted down. 

22 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'd have thought the bottom 6 would vote against neutral venues, and at least one of the rest. They would be voting against using neutral venues, not against playing the last games - that gives them an honourable way of saying they don't want the season to complete - as they know it can't if neutral venues are voted down. 

I assume the likes of Man U would oppose neutral venues as well given the advantage a home venue/crowd gives them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Plus ‘boost the nation’, not everybody has sky, BT and/or Amazon so it will mean fans gathering, going to friends, families and other venues to watch the game.  Just means more spread of the virus as there are more times than not that football is not watched alone

Sure they can use all them Saudi streams I keep hearing about. Premier League can kill 2 birds with one stone with that promotion ;) 

Purslow himself says that every club wants to finish the season... He also said this...

"The EFL has grave financial problems and those problems predate Covid-19. I think what Covid has done is expose the fact the league is unsustainable at every level.

"One of the reasons I feel very strongly that we need to complete the season and protect TV revenue is that the Premier League really is the driver of revenue that filters throughout English football."

Sussex Express

45 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Same goes with other workplaces.

We can't sit at home forever. There comes a point where we just have to get on with it.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The ace in our hand at the minute is that we have played one less game than the rest.  I wouldnt be surprised if the Prem were trying to get it started to get everyone on a level playing field and then they wouldnt care if its finished or not.  Also is there not something, where they can finish it the league as it stands if everyone has played over 30 games.

Before i would even kick a ball, i would want it agreed that no relegation will happen if the 38 games aren't finished.

The gap between the Premier league and Championship is becoming enormous - a well run, properly managed, financially sensible team from the Championship, if promoted would need to spend three to four hundred million pounds to compete with the likes of Watford or Crystal Palace. The gap is becoming too big - for me the problems are on both sides of that gap, not just the EFL one.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Are there 14 teams likely to back it? Surely the only teams that really want the league finished are Liverpool, Leicester and Sheffield United. 

I think Man City were very annoyed with the letter liverpool added their names to regards ffp and the CL.  They expected it from the other clubs but not them.  City have nothing to play for, i'd nearly guarantee they wont care if the league is finished.

Edited by HeyAnty