Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

44 minutes ago, markc said:

Came across very well - Interestingly he refers to wanting the title to be decided but no mention of relegation. 
Happy he’s representing us rather than a number of his predecessors.

• Like 1

Re the vital Villa Park he said, I wonder how we would fair if points per game was not based on total points but based on ppg for home games and ppg for away games.  I think we might survive then, although I can’t be bothered to work it out but that might be fairer (I am biased) than total ppg.

Edit: No we would still be relegated, I sadly checked. 😭  Shows how poor we are away from home and good at home which we knew but West Ham are poor at home

villa H&A.JPG

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Re the vital Villa Park he said, I wonder how we would fair if points per game was not based on total points but based on ppg for home games and ppg for away games.  I think we might survive then, although I can’t be bothered to work it out but that might be fairer (I am biased) than total ppg.

I would like to guess that if he said it then he's being coy because he already knows the answer

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I would like to guess that if he said it then he's being coy because he already knows the answer

Yeah I know.  It is crazy that a decision will be made probably in the next week that will decide our fate. 

I cant believe that football will go ahead and listening to Purslow (I probably take a different view than others) there are too many hurdles that need to be jumped before we can play again, which isnt likely in the near future. 

Everybody wants to get back to football is the message but loads of caveats, which mean we are unlikely to from players agreeing, neutral venues a non-starter for Purslow to all the clubs agreeing to a solution. 

Having sat back and thinking what he said, i get the impression there is a divide in the PL between top half of the table and bottom half of the table for completing the season.  Top half to get TV money but bottom half not because of the relegation.  We knew this over the last few days, so it's probably going to come down to what the mid-table teams want to do, which I think (I maybe wrong website member) that TRO detailed about a week ago what he thought they would want to do.

I agree he came across well, i also liked how he, in a veiled kind of way, responded to the EFL's comments about parachute payments by clarifying how the bottom clubs faced a huge 200m chasm on getting relegated. Kind of implying - "How would any club deal with that without parachute payments?"

It did sound as though there are major doubts about whether it will be possible to resume unless all the stars align and it was interesting how it was kind of left open ended regards what happens if it is not possible to resume by July.

It is definitely all a farce though from how it sounds. Basically he was saying we would have to risk being relegated with some mickey mouse rules playing weakened teams, which to me sounded more like he was protecting the Premier Leagues interests generally than Villa's but i guess he had little choice.

No parachute payments would have to be staggered over a number of years

I sure if they were relegated Bournemouth would be able to make an argument that their spending over the last 3 years was propped up by the safety net of parachute payments, we would definitely argue that our spending last summer was based on getting them should we go down 

Clubs would need to plan it in advance and make changes to player contracts and all sorts 

If the season can be continued as normal (highly unlikely) to be finished before jun 30 then so be it - we play to survive.

If not, no title  no relegation, no promotion and we aim to start next season as normal as possible.

No-one has earned anything or failed anything.

My reading of Parrys comments is he only really concerned teams will be promoted rather than team relegated.On parachute payments take them away and the clubs going down and destroyed , I understand he wants money better distributed but removing the payments isn't an option.

His problem is the PL is a monster , by far the richest league in world overall and getting clubs to cut income and spread it out is a no go , hell the current clubs at top complained teams in own league shouldn't get as much as them ! 

To add ,reports today are the championship will push on for restart when L1 and L2 can't afford it with no fans so they themselves will abandon the leagues below. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8292787/League-One-League-Two-risk-abandoned-WEEK.html

The Telegraph are reporting that the EFL have informally canvassed opinion and it appears to show there is a clear desire not to play out the rest of the season.

The decision would not involve clubs in the Championship, as the EFL are hopeful they will still play the season to a conclusion in the second-tier.

As few as three League One sides, according to the report, are keen to play the rest of their games.

There is also a threat of legal action from some clubs if they are made to play on during the coronavirus crisis.

Edited by Nabby

So Germany restart put back a week until the 22nd May. With the easing on lockdown here set to be next week maybe  a June 8th start is optimistic. We all have opinions but the truth is none of us know for sure whats going to happen.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

So Germany restart put back a week until the 22nd May. With the easing on lockdown here set to be next week maybe  a June 8th start is optimistic. We all have opinions but the truth is none of us know for sure whats going to happen.

Seems like that has changed again and there is a AGM tomorrow 

German league same as us wants/needs the cash - the french stopped as the Gov loaned cash to stop the loss's 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Having sat back and thinking what he said, i get the impression there is a divide in the PL between top half of the table and bottom half of the table for completing the season.  Top half to get TV money but bottom half not because of the relegation.  We knew this over the last few days, so it's probably going to come down to what the mid-table teams want to do, which I think (I maybe wrong website member) that TRO detailed about a week ago what he thought they would want to do.

A well made point. I tend to think that mid-table clubs won't have a problem in going with the clubs in the top half of the table, because they're safe in any case. The bottom six are a different matter.

I anticipate that the 3 clubs outside of the relegation places will be reluctant to re-start and happy to go along with the season finishing now, with the places remaining the same, as they will be safe. The bottom 3 will want the season stopped with no relegation, but they will be threatened with being sent down if they persist on the basis of the table, as it currently stands. The same will be the case for our reluctance to play on neutral grounds and with any other point those in the bottom 3 may try to make. 

The PL are determined to get what they want. They will make whatever threats they need to make to push their precious re-start through. It will take the government or the PFA to stop them getting what they want. The integrity of football is none existent, it's all about the money and they will do whatever it takes to get it, despite what is happening in the world that exists outside football. :(       

If the season was decided on PPG and we get relegated based on the fact we have played game less than our rivals I can see our owners pursuing this legally. Too much is at stake for the league to be decided based on a formula. That said we are where we are for a reason so it would be a bitter pill to swallow but we would have ourselves to blame as well. 

As I’ve said before we could promote the top three teams from the EFL with no relegation and then offset this by handing what would have been distributed as parachute payments to the relegated teams instead be handed to all clubs in the EFL on a pro rata basis. It’s not fair on the teams in the playoffs and just outside at all but the way they could look at it is that they stand a better chance of promotion next season than if three Prem teams came down with their parachute money. Each Prem team should also make available loan players free of charge from with wages covered also to aid smaller clubs.

No solution will be perfect but I’ll go for the one where we stay up ! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

A well made point. I tend to think that mid-table clubs won't have a problem in going with the clubs in the top half of the table, because they're safe in any case. The bottom six are a different matter.

I anticipate that the 3 clubs outside of the relegation places will be reluctant to re-start and happy to go along with the season finishing now, with the places remaining the same, as they will be safe. The bottom 3 will want the season stopped with no relegation, but they will be threatened with being sent down if they persist on the basis of the table, as it currently stands. The same will be the case for our reluctance to play on neutral grounds and with any other point those in the bottom 3 may try to make. 

The PL are determined to get what they want. They will make whatever threats they need to make to push their precious re-start through. It will take the government or the PFA to stop them getting what they want. The integrity of football is none existent, it's all about the money and they will do whatever it takes to get it, despite what is happening in the world that exists outside football. :(       

Mid table teams don't care at all IMO , they just need the TV cash - they would play 6 aside in a park to finish season..I expect teams will want clarification on team selection ie no punishment for playing weakened teams and I expect this will be granted and it will be a mess for rest of season.

• Like 1

I do agree that parachute payments are shitty. They allow a club to be lazy as well. 

If you give shit like Cattermole or Richards a long expensive contract then you shouldn't really get a bailout after relegation for a lack of due diligence

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I do agree that parachute payments are shitty. They allow a club to be lazy as well. 

If you give shit like Cattermole or Richards a long expensive contract then you shouldn't really get a bailout after relegation for a lack of due diligence

Yes if you get one season in the Premier League and then overspend and get relegated why should that team get parachute payments.