Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Took us three years last time and look how far behind the rest of the PL now after spending 140m.  That also included having some quality loans signings to get us up.  Nah, I think it’ll be a disaster to go down. Always sounds great, rebuilding with talent and all that but it’s a slog, very hard and not nice.

I will say I caveated that post with 'if we must' - otherwise I agree with you, it'd be absolutely rubbish. However, in the last half hour, the dutch league have called it without championes or relegated teams - as cynical and pessimistic as I am, that is quite encouraging...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, useless said:

Apparently the Premier league have agreed to a dealine of July 1st to complete the season, same story is also saying that the EFL are demanding three teams be relegated from the premier league and three promoted from the championship even if the season can't be completed, apparently there's some legal agreement that this has to happen.

You really do seem desperate for us to be relegated. 

There may well be a legally binding agreement in force for 3 up and 3 down but I very very much doubt that that will still stand if the season is voided.  The contract would be frustrated by the voiding of the season. 

I would like to see the wording in writing.  It would be odd for The Premier League who wanted independence to allow themselves to have their business dictated to by the Football League, it's hard to see them signing up to such a clause. Their main aim is to protect themselves and look after their own interests. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

Yes indeed 👍...joking ( and the awful gravity of the situation) aside I consider myself personally very lucky and very content.

Particularly as being socially isolated is my ideal way of life. I literally miss nothing other than the Villa......

......and to be honest that was pretty crap half the time 😀

Life has many challenges and supporting our football team is as good a grounding as any to help meet them head on  

Since I moved up to The Highlands apart from some good mates the only thing I really miss is going to Villa Park. But this season has certainly helped with the separation anxiety. 

• Haha 1

Not sure how me saying that there's apparently a legal agreement between the Premier league and the football league saying that three teams have to come up and three go down, means that I'm desperate for us to be relegated... I literally just composed the following passage on the previous page of this thread...

1 hour ago, useless said:

Going down would be a bad thing regardless of whether we'd be in a good place to come back up or not, a club like Villa shouldn't be spending three years in the championship, and then at least four out of five year should we go down this season, some might say that's arrogant, but I think Ron Saunders (👆🙌)  would agree with me that it's not good enough for Villa. Sometimes to some extent it feels like after the last ten years we've become too accepting of failure.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Are we talking Dutch?

We are, but I’m hoping it sets a precedent.

The Dutch league is middle of the road in terms of importance so could really do with one of the 4/5 major leagues shutting up shop but has to be a matter of time you’d think now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd like to see UEFA's reaction if that policy meant that there would be no Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool etc playing in the Champions League next season.  They would be desperate to get the big teams playing come what may.

I for one would find it hilarious to see a Belarusian team lift the Champions League. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

We are, but I’m hoping it sets a precedent.

The Dutch league is middle of the road in terms of importance so could really do with one of the 4/5 major leagues shutting up shop but has to be a matter of time you’d think now.

Belgium league also stopped 

I don't think its a coincidence the 4 leagues who are on the hook for TV cash are the 4 trying to play with convoluted plans of testing /segregation at training etc 

If the choice is between either voiding the season and cancelling relegation or ending the league but relegating the bottom three, then I think most of the league would acatually vote against relegating the bottom three when a season hasn't been completed, as they'd want to protect themselves against the same thing happening to them in future seasons. It's not just this season that clubs have to think about.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Going down would be a bad thing regardless of whether we'd be in a good place to come back up or not, a club like Villa shouldn't be spending three years in the championship, and then at least four out of five year should we go down this season, some might say that's arrogant, but I think Ron Saunders (👆🙌)  would agree with me that it's not good enough for Villa. Sometimes to some extent it feels like after the last ten years we've become too accepting of failure.

I totally agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

If the choice is between either voiding the season and cancelling relegation or ending the league but relegating the bottom three, then I think most of the league would acatually vote against relegating the bottom three when a season hasn't been completed, as they'd want to protect themselves against the same thing happening to them in future seasons. It's not just this season that clubs have to think about.

I wonder also if legally not relegating teams is a better position for the PL than relegating and dealing with legal challenges. 

Not sure about that, I'm sure behind closed doors they're sorting it all out, all we can do is just guess. Would be nice to know for sure what they're going to do if the season can't be completed on the field though, just so we have a better idea of where we stand.

1 hour ago, useless said:

UEFA have said that any league voiding their season will risk losing out on places in European compeition next season, only way around it is if a government ruling means that games can't be played, which is what has happened in Holland, their government has banned all sporting events until September 21st.

I read that UEFA statement as also saying they won’t necessarily allow a team in the CL just because they are fourth now - it was as much saying “don’t just have your current standings count” as saying “try not to void.”

This season will end with no relegation, I am 100% sure of that. But I also think the PL will want to vote Liverpool champs. And trying to figure out the European places will be their big headache.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure about that, I'm sure behind closed doors they're sorting it all out, all we can do is just guess. Would be nice to know for sure what they're going to do if the season can't be completed on the field though, just so we have a better idea of where we stand.

Agreed but I think they will leave that discussion as long as possible.

38 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Only the bottom three would vote against it.

Arsenal and spurs could get European football if there was an alternative, Everton, man utd and man City should all vote for something that doesn't award Liverpool the title, utd are also chasing 4th as are Sheffield utd

The Premier League lost all integrity with its shitty corrupt VAR, if they do decide to relegate us then it wouldnt be so shocking either. I would hoonestly much prefer to be away from the shitty division 

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

Only the bottom three would vote against it.

I don't think it's true only the bottom three would. Brighton have spoken out publically about that they wouldn't support relegation unless completed and west ham initially pushed for it to be ended with Brady's statements. So that's 4 maybe 5 of the 6 needed to be against it with many yet to declare publically.

I think though they are going to push this through behind closed doors, and it'll be celebrated. That is until the first round is complete and everyone sees just how bad atmosphere less games truly are and/or players get sick or fans start to congregate. Then widespread public opinion will turn.

4 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Dutch league has finished with immediate effect, won’t be long till a few more do this

Yes, no champions, no promotion and no relegation.  Totally voided. 

It's the only sensible way to go. The Dutch have had the guts to make a decision (Dutch Courage? 🙂) and set a precedent that will make it easier for other leagues to do the same.  More will follow in the coming weeks. Leagues with the big money like Italy, German, Spain and England will be the last to accept it but when pretty much every other league has done the same they will bow to the inevitable. 

You could run a book on if Spain or England will be the last to call the whole thing off. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, no champions, no promotion and no relegation.  Totally voided. 

It's the only sensible way to go. The Dutch have had the guts to make a decision (Dutch Courage? 🙂) and set a precedent that will make it easier for other leagues to do the same.  More will follow in the coming weeks. Leagues with the big money like Italy, German, Spain and England will be the last to accept it but when pretty much every other league has done the same they will bow to the inevitable. 

Yeah Dutch league got it right imo.

However for the Prem, they should vote on giving the title to Liverpool, to be fair I dont think anyone could argue they aren't clear and fair winners, they are so far ahead it isn't an arguement you could reasonably make.

So imo, season voided, no relegation etc, but liverpool should get the title due to the clear daylight they have at the top.

• Like 2