Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

26 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah that's the main issue, if one player gets the virus we're back to square one again.

It's why the only logical thing to do is null and void/cancel to build for a unaffected season 2020/21.

When's this unaffected 2020/21 taking place out of interest? The winter when there could well be a second wave and many will be going down with normal colds anyway?

I can't quite see a packed VP in November-January when plenty of people will be coughing and sneezing in the Holte End somehow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah that's the main issue, if one player gets the virus we're back to square one again.

It's why the only logical thing to do is null and void/cancel to build for a unaffected season 2020/21.

too many uncertainties for even that to happen. Conservative  estimate is for a vaccine late in 2021. Next season could be wiped out too unless huge compromises are made. 

Edited by PaulC

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Why Fulham? 3rd place team doesnt automatically get promoted. 

So a team (Fulham) that has played 80% of it's league games and if stays there, has historically on average a 37% chance of playoff promotion (championship %) gets the chance of playing a team (Bournemouth) who are level on points, one goal difference different from safety and usually have another quarter of it's games to remedy that situation.

That's not fair at all

playoffs.JPG

Ok so how do u propose it instead? Have play offs then 7th and 8th will say its not fair. There is going to be losers in all scenerios and this seems the less fair to me

4 hours ago, tinker said:

This is the way to go, Sheffield Utd should play us at Villa Park behind closed doors. 

If we have to play, I would agree with one proviso, namely that we should keep playing them until we win it. 😉

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Conservative  estimate is for a vaccine late in 2021. Next season could be wiped out too unless huge compromises are made. 

No, a conservative estimate is a working approved vaccine by September this year. Oxford University hope to have 1m by then and have started manufacturing them NOW to hit that figure gambling that they have got it right and the human tests they are already undertaking work out. 

Late 2021 is a pessimistic estimate. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ok so how do u propose it instead? Have play offs then 7th and 8th will say its not fair. There is going to be losers in all scenerios and this seems the less fair to me

That 3rd place in any of the options shouldn't be promoted.....they havent completed the season and then havent won the playoffs.  That's so far from finished it's silly to promote them in any of the reasonable options available.  Yet in the option you propose (and I'm not intending to have a go at you) that in one or two games they can get a PL space. 

Every team from 3rd to lets say 11th (3 points from playoff place) have the right to claim they should have the same right as Fulham because of the playoff system and the odds of promotion.  It would be different if 3rd place was automatic promotion but it's not.

To prove my point we were 8th last season after 37 games and we were promoted via the playoffs.

villa championship.JPG

Edited by nick76

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To prove my point we were 8th last season after 37 games and we were promoted via the playoffs.

villa championship.JPG

Its not last season though , we need a solution, whats your suggestion on sorting the mess out thats fair ? 

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No, a conservative estimate is a working approved vaccine by September this year. Oxford University hope to have 1m by then and have started manufacturing them NOW to hit that figure gambling that they have got it right and the human tests they are already undertaking work out. 

Late 2021 is a pessimistic estimate. 

I will let the two of you debate what is optimistic and pessimistic, but reality is as follows ;

They ARE aiming to have 1m doses available by September, true. They are producing them without knowing whether they will work. 

And they are hoping - in a best case scenario - to have the efficacy results of the Third Phase of Trial by the Autumn, and have expressed an 80% confidence these trials could show the vaccine protects against the virus.

If all that pans out, they hope to then have the ability to provide vaccine for emergency use.

Their own publications on the issue stress these are highly ambitious best case time frames and subject to change.

Theyve not made a prediction for a best case time frame of sufficient quantity for general vaccination of the population.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's dead easy. No promotion, no one has earned it. No relegation, no one has failed yet.

I don't see what's so difficult to grasp about this.  It's disappointing for sure but it's not unfair because no one's fate is yet cast in stone. 

The only unfair thing would be to promote or relegate a team which has not yet earned that outcome.  

And to compensate Championship teams still in the hunt from promotion the Parachute payments (if the PL still has access to funds) that would have been given to the relegated teams should be distributed to the Championship teams in proportion to their probability of being promoted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

I can see the prem being started up again as being a prime government target. Theoretically by the start of June there will be much lower hospital cases, therefore allowing medics to be at the games without it seeming bad taste, there will (so said Hatt Mancock a few times) be a lot of testing capacity so potentially meaning they can sneak a few footballers in without that being bad taste, and ultimately Boris will love to be the guy that gave the country its football back. 

And the second wave?

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

You could fool me during world cups. :lol:

Government should've had 100k tests ready for start of April. Their fudging of that and PPE has been useless in last month. They've promised that on May 1st now so I guess football is assuming the key people on frontline will have be mass tested and tracked by that point.

Of course football won't be back anytime soon if we're still doing minisicule daily testing. Hopefully the government will get its arse in gear on that finally in next week.

Think most people just crave some normality back, whether sport is liked or not it's part of our everyday society. Same with loads saying they'll be off to the pub when lockdown finishes even though they won't be open for many more months.

think that is a bit harsh Chris.

This is an unprecedented Virus of hugely Contagious & deadly qualities, they we have not been prepared for, particularly on the back of 2 years Brexit ranglings, which took up everyones time......I think they and the medical advisers have worked their socks off in dealing with a logistical nightmare alone.

There will undoubtedly be mistakes and misjudgments, but I think their arses have been well in to gear.

There will be lessons we can learn, for the next time.

Some of the complexities, cannot all be reported in the press conferences as there is just too much to comment on.....they have had a tough job IMO

Without getting in to the politics, I think they have done a good job, particularly without their Captain.

sorry for going off topic.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

This is an unprecedented Virus of hugely Contagious & deadly qualities, they we have not been prepared for, particularly on the back of 2 years Brexit ranglings, which took up everyones time......I think they and the medical advisers have worked their socks off in dealing with a logistical nightmare alone.

There will undoubtedly be mistakes and misjudgments, but I think their arses have been well in to gear.

Some of the complexities, cannot all be reported in the press conferences as there is just too much to comment on.....they have had a tough job.

Without getting in to the politics, I think they have done a good job, particularly without their Captain.

I agree 100% but you have lit the blue touch paper there, prepare for incoming. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I agree 100% but you have lit the blue touch paper there, prepare for incoming. 

Oh Dear, unintentionally....I went off topic too, so it has to end there on this thread.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

When's this unaffected 2020/21 taking place out of interest? The winter when there could well be a second wave and many will be going down with normal colds anyway?

I can't quite see a packed VP in November-January when plenty of people will be coughing and sneezing in the Holte End somehow.

I think you are right.....it will change many attitudes going forward.

Another plan under discussion would see promotion awarded 'on merit ' - whereby the top two teams are promoted from all three EFL leagues, with two extra teams relegated at the end of next season, in order to return the leagues to their original numbers.

'Sky'

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Some of the complexities, cannot all be reported in the press conferences as there is just too much to comment on.....they have had a tough job IMO

They've done an average job.

I do have sympathy with them for the continual lockdown questions. People already seem to be losing the discipline now so can't really see how it would've worked if it had started early March. Going ahead with Cheltenham and Liverpool-Atletico weren't great decisions though and not hard to make. A full premier league round would've happened on March 14th aswell if Arteta hadn't fallen ill.

Add in PPE and not having mass testing ready for when lockdown started and it's not a great show so far.