Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, useless said:

Apparently the Premier league have agreed to a dealine of July 1st to complete the season, same story is also saying that the EFL are demanding three teams be relegated from the premier league and three promoted from the championship even if the season can't be completed, apparently there's some legal agreement that this has to happen.

It simply won't be done by that date, you might get 3-4 matches done if you started mid June (enough to get Liverpool to mathematically win league which I actually suspect is the only thing premier league cares about happening officially). Didn't Uefa extend the cut off to August 2nd? They want to play champions league and europa in August somehow so seems they've given July over for leagues to get done if possible.

I've said before with limited timeframe you need to rejig things a bit and can't be just playing out seasons as normal like nothing has happened. Already you'll have BCD and perhaps neutral venues so will be nothing like a normal season anymore. Perhaps you get the bottom 3 and top 3 from championship and just do some sort of play off system there although two legs would be pointless if you can't play on your home grounds at least.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

There is talk of premier league buying 28,000 testing kits to try to finish season.

With all its power and wealth the premier league can do these things.What  about the lower leagues ?They can’t possibly finish the season so who gets promoted and relegated from those leagues?If that doesn’t happen how can teams be promoted from the championship ?

I can’t see games being played even behind closed doors until Nov.

Can you promote and relegate teams on partiallly finished season?I don’t think so .

Look at the plans from Spain and Germany to get games behind closed doors , testing segregation etc .I can see top teams doing it but teams in League 1 etc I have no idea they could do that.

Also EFL is already torn some teams cant afford games behind closed doors 

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

No work related stress, more healthy and if you love your missus you’ve got it made Terry 😀

Yes indeed 👍...joking ( and the awful gravity of the situation) aside I consider myself personally very lucky and very content.

Particularly as being socially isolated is my ideal way of life. I literally miss nothing other than the Villa......

......and to be honest that was pretty crap half the time 😀

• Like 1

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Premier League tried throwing the bottom 3 overboard in the name of “integrity”. Honestly ppl, don’t rule anything out. If there’s a vote tomorrow on finishing the league as it stands then there’s more votes in that than there would be against. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Premier League tried throwing the bottom 3 overboard in the name of “integrity”. Honestly ppl, don’t rule anything out. If there’s a vote tomorrow on finishing the league as it stands then there’s more votes in that than there would be against. 

It'll need to be the PL 14 team majority rule though? 

I can't see the EFL trying to hold the PL to ransom over relegation and promotional places given the current circumstances. They aren't finishing their season either, and it sounds like a lot of lower league clubs could go under if forced to play to empty stadiums.

The loss of revenue due to relegation from the Premier League is an astronomical amount of money. It's too big a penalty to relegate a club that hasn't finished in the bottom 3 after 38 matches. I can't see them relegating teams without a season being completed unless there are provisions in the rules for that, and there were, we'd certainly already know about them.

The posturing from these sporting bodies is purely about the £ and it's frankly sickening in the face of the loss of life all over the world, but especially in Europe. I wish the Governments, both the British and European, would just bar major sporting events from taking place until July so we can stop pretending we're finishing a season and start sorting out how to move forward.

I'm all for the championship (if we must). Read an article today on the effect of the virus on wages and player prices, it was all quite realistic and at one point mentioned how important investment in developing young players would become. We, by luck, have just recruited one of the best in the business for this, and also have some real talent in the youth ranks. I'm confident we can chart a way back to the top, even though it'll take time, and we can resist having our future talent purchased by other clubs, cos loaded. And I'm not convinced the likes of Newcastle with all their cash are going to ever do a Man Citeh ever again.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'm all for the championship (if we must). Read an article today on the effect of the virus on wages and player prices, it was all quite realistic and at one point mentioned how important investment in developing young players would become. We, by luck, have just recruited one of the best in the business for this, and also have some real talent in the youth ranks. I'm confident we can chart a way back to the top, even though it'll take time, and we can resist having our future talent purchased by other clubs, cos loaded. And I'm not convinced the likes of Newcastle with all their cash are going to ever do a Man Citeh ever again.

Took us three years last time and look how far behind the rest of the PL now after spending 140m.  That also included having some quality loans signings to get us up.  Nah, I think it’ll be a disaster to go down. Always sounds great, rebuilding with talent and all that but it’s a slog, very hard and not nice.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Took us three years last time and look how far behind the rest of the PL now after spending 140m.  That also included having some quality loans signings to get us up.  Nah, I think it’ll be a disaster to go down. Always sounds great, rebuilding with talent and all that but it’s a slog, very hard and not nice.

Agreed - this notion of starting again is a coping mechanism strategy.

Sounds great but in reality never happens like that - just a way for people to kid themselves and try to feel better about life.

In no way to I want to go back to the swamp of the EFL again. This would make me angrier than the previous relegation as I truly believe we would have every right to be aggrieved. VAR truly F’d us in many games along with a scandalous decision away at palace and then to not have played 38 games would be unjust. Yes we have been very naive in many matches and Smith has made some bad calls but to go down this year I’d be very aggrieved.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Dutch league has finished with immediate effect, won’t be long till a few more do this

With no relegation and no champion! 

• Like 1

Going down would be a bad thing regardless of whether we'd be in a good place to come back up or not, a club like Villa shouldn't be spending three years in the championship, and then at least four out of five year should we go down this season, some might say that's arrogant, but I think Ron Saunders (👆🙌)  would agree with me that it's not good enough for Villa. Sometimes to some extent it feels like after the last ten years we've become too accepting of failure.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

UEFA have said that any league voiding their season will risk losing out on places in European compeition next season, only way around it is if a government ruling means that games can't be played, which is what has happened in Holland, their government has banned all sporting events until September 21st.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

UEFA have said that any league voiding their season will risk losing out on places in European compeition next season, only way around it is if a government ruling means that games can't be played, which is what has happened in Holland, their government has banned all sporting events until September 21st.

I'd like to see UEFA's reaction if that policy meant that there would be no Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool etc playing in the Champions League next season.  They would be desperate to get the big teams playing come what may.