Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why?  You are getting into material insignificance if you play a full season or an expanded season....you either play a full fixture list of 380 games or 420 games.  Either is too many without a vaccine but in terms of material difference it's not much between the two.  If it was the difference between 50 games and 300 games then I see your point but at the levels we are talking about materiality has gone out the window between 380 and 420 games if you decide to play a full season next season anyway.

Its a paradox. We cant play football because of the coronavirus so we add more games to the fixture list.  If this season cant be played out theres two options. void it altogether like in the Netherlands or cancel it and positions stand avg pts per game is the decider. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its a paradox. We cant play football because of the coronavirus so we add more games to the fixture list.  If this season cant be played out theres two options. void it altogether like in the Netherlands or cancel it and positions stand avg pts per game is the decider. 

Bunch of clubs in the lower leagues will go bust so in total there is likely to be fewer games.

Guess one can argue that it is "easier" to keep the games at the highest level in a controlled environment. So more games in the PL might be a safer option. Or not.

Edit: For example I could see the PL buying a shed load of tests to test their players but I have a hard time seeing the EFL doing that to test Championship and lower league players.

Edited by sne

I can see the prem being started up again as being a prime government target. Theoretically by the start of June there will be much lower hospital cases, therefore allowing medics to be at the games without it seeming bad taste, there will (so said Hatt Mancock a few times) be a lot of testing capacity so potentially meaning they can sneak a few footballers in without that being bad taste, and ultimately Boris will love to be the guy that gave the country its football back. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

While you say the second option is an option, it’s not an option they will consider because of the ramifications.

As for the paradox, not really. If we decide to play a full season next season then we are playing football in some environment despite the virus.  The number of games then become a side note.

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I can see the prem being started up again as being a prime government target. Theoretically by the start of June there will be much lower hospital cases, therefore allowing medics to be at the games without it seeming bad taste, there will (so said Hatt Mancock a few times) be a lot of testing capacity so potentially meaning they can sneak a few footballers in without that being bad taste, and ultimately Boris will love to be the guy that gave the country its football back. 

Sorry but just no, arguably half the country dislike football with a passion.

Football and sports are so low on the list of priorities at the moment you can't just sneak a few footballers in on a daily basis here and there when literally thousands need a test. How long would that take?

A decision needs to be made so the focus and energy can be used productively rather than on the PL cash cow.

• Like 2

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Football and sports are so low on the list of priorities at the moment you can't just sneak a few footballers in on a daily basis here and there when literally thousands need a test. How long would that take?

A decision needs to be made so the focus and energy can be used productively rather than on the PL cash cow.

All true, but the man in charge sure does like big public pleasing ideas, that then turn out to be quite unrealistic. I have no idea if it's possible, but I can imagine them trying. The Dutch head of the FA thinks its all b**locks. 

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think my concern is not just footballers for the testing but the amount of times they are going to be needed to be tested.  The amount of people that need to be involved for a match to function even without crowds.  Then transporting, hotels, media to air the game and hospitality for players around that and the people involved in that. This multiplied by the number of games.  Then going back to their families.

This assumes that nobody gets infected, what happens if just one player is infected? Does everything just stop again.  What if Jack got infected would we still have to continue.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think my concern is not just footballers for the testing but the amount of times they are going to be needed to tested.  The amount of people that need to be involved for a match to function even without crowds.  Then transporting, hotels, media to air the game and hospitality for players around that and the people involved in that. This multiplied by the number of games.  Then going back to their families.

This assumes that nobody gets infected, what happens if just one player is infected? Does everything just stop again.  What if Jack got infected would we still have to continue.

Yes it's certainly quite an ask. I think player organisations in Spain are questioning the safety of it all too - hopefully this is all just the last bit of wrangling before they call it a day. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I don't see how testing will help.  The only test that exists is to confirm if you have the virus at that time the test is taken. 

They would have to test every player before every game and every training session.  Taking those thousands of tests away from key workers at the same time.  

I would be dumbfounded if the Government allowed that to happen. 

24 minutes ago, Jareth said:

ultimately Boris will love to be the guy that gave the country its football back. 

Boris nearly lost his life to this virus and acknowledges that the NHS saved his life. 

I would be very surprised if he didn't have a radical change of view about what the priorities are in fighting this virus. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Boris nearly lost his life to this virus and acknowledges that the NHS saved his life. 

I would be very surprised if he didn't have a radical change of view about what the priorities are in fighting this virus. 

Someone should ask him, if they can find him.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I just dont think this is fair, each team has played different quality of teams through the season hence why in a normal season teams play everybody twice, home and away.  We are part way through that.  It was just luck of the draw, for example if we hadnt had played Leicester away last game and played Palace at home (one of games left) and we had won that, we now wouldnt be in the bottom three.  You can see that the bottom three has changed regularly over the last months of this year and now a snapshot point of an uncompleted season decides who gets relegated.....that's not fair.

Its not totally fair but what is the  fairest way? Doing nothing and finishing the season as it is? We go down and Man U get champions League and leeds, west brom and whoever's 3rd comes up? Or just replay this season next year? Not going to happen.

This indecision, with everyone splitting hairs on whats fair will end up costing us and Sheffield utd and benefiting Man u , Liverpool and Leeds's, why would anyone expect anything different? 

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

They say it would be good for morale  if the restart and finish the season BCD. I don't know about anyone else but the thought that football could be played at VP without being allowed to go will feel horrible.  And having it free to view as well would that mean they will refund a third of my season ticket then?

I agree. Large chunks of next season will likely be BCD aswell, at least this remaining part is only a small chunk although we still have 6 home games to play.

Seems championship and leagues 1 and 2 are trying to get fans back into the games in October although that seems wildly optimistic.

This story of premier league having talks with the government about restarting the league is a smokescreen.

Premier league want the government to tell them games can’t be played-they can then go back to UEFA and Sky and Bt and say we must now void the league.

This means there won’t be financial penalties or restrictions on next seasons champions league places.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You could fool me during world cups. :lol:

Government should've had 100k tests ready for start of April. Their fudging of that and PPE has been useless in last month. They've promised that on May 1st now so I guess football is assuming the key people on frontline will have be mass tested and tracked by that point.

Of course football won't be back anytime soon if we're still doing minisicule daily testing. Hopefully the government will get its arse in gear on that finally in next week.

Think most people just crave some normality back, whether sport is liked or not it's part of our everyday society. Same with loads saying they'll be off to the pub when lockdown finishes even though they won't be open for many more months.

3 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

This story of premier league having talks with the government about restarting the league is a smokescreen.

Premier league want the government to tell them games can’t be played-they can then go back to UEFA and Sky and Bt and say we must now void the league.

This means there won’t be financial penalties or restrictions on next seasons champions league places.

That's a good point. Seems Government does want football back soon though judging by what Oliver Dowden was saying the other day. Other key government figures in other countries are similar.

Still got to get this past Chris Whitty and Vallance and I imagine they'd have a strictrer mindset.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Someone should ask him, if they can find him.

Yeah, bastard. I can't believe he's not back at work a week after coming out of intensive care. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1