Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

46 minutes ago, blandy said:

Oh yeah, until they moved it all to Wembley in the late 90s, VP was the most used semi final venue (and still is, historically). It's just not been used for 20 odd years was my pedantic point. Doesn't invalidate your overall point at all. You could have added the hosting of WC games, UEFA CWC final, League Cup final replay etc. too.

Now I feel old, well older than I did before and that was old.

Just checked, the last one was 2007, Man U vs Watford.  

Could’ve sworn it was only about 5 years ago but was 13 years....wow, how time flies.

1 hour ago, scarboro_villan said:

The ugliness of that kit also contributed to our relegation. 

We wore it in the championship. We were relegated in Macron.

The Premier League is considering making some behind-closed-doors fixtures available free-to-air when the season restarts, the culture secretary has said.Oliver Dowden has said he had been having "productive talks" with governing bodies from across British sport on restarting following the coronavirus shutdown.

BBC

I would expect the club or league to provide me with access to games that I've paid to see on my season ticket, but which I'm not permitted to attend. I don't have Sky or BT.

It would be interesting to see whether having access to those games would legally be considered as fulfilling the obligations of my season ticket in full.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Most football chants are thick and moronic really. The one thing I was always jealous of with blues was ‘keep right on to the end of the road’. We have never had a great song 

Tbf we own "on the piss, my lord". I like that that chimes with our mutual love of drinking. Who else has that? 

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would expect the club or league to provide me with access to games that I've paid to see on my season ticket, but which I'm not permitted to attend. I don't have Sky or BT.

It would be interesting to see whether having access to those games would legally be considered as fulfilling the obligations of my season ticket in full.

Legally, you should be entitled to either a partial refund or the same seat for the number of games you missed for next season (and therefore a proportionately reduced price season ticket for next season). 

I remember you fondly from the DO'L era, OBE. I'm surprised you're still here, and impressed. 

Hope you're keeping well mate. UTV

Edited by scarboro_villan

2 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

It's very different growing up in a small town (Scarborough) that has no big club for miles around. You pick, at primary school, based on sticker books, match of the day, etc. 

I'm the eldest of 5 lads. In birth order, we chose Villa, Newcastle, Man Utd, Leeds & Liverpool. 

I actually tried to convert to Scarborough, when I lived there. But to give an example, when the away keeper takes a goal kick, the fans shout "ohhh.. aaah, you s**t b*****d!". It wasn't like the thrill of a permier league game. 

That's literally what Leicester City chant for every opposing keepers goal kick.

Well listening to whitty and raab earlier it seemed grim reading. Social distancing will be here for a while according to them and no vaccine looking likely this calender year. 

How the hell do they intend to get football restarted in that basis in may/june?

Its incredibly stupid to do so if these are the way we are looking for 2019

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well listening to whitty and raab earlier it seemed grim reading. Social distancing will be here for a while according to them and no vaccine looking likely this calender year. 

How the hell do they intend to get football restarted in that basis in may/june?

Its incredibly stupid to do so if these are the way we are looking for 2019

Yup, I just can't believe how the PL continues to extend the inevitable.

Whitty has effectively declared social distancing measures will be around until the end of the year. Football is done for the foreseeable future and so it should be it really isn't important! 

• Like 1

Just on that thing about the passion of fans #Scarborough_Villan, i find it interesting that you use Leicester as an example. I was at the Villa v Leicester semi final earlier in the season when we knocked them out of the cup & got to Wembley. I assume you were not at that game? The passion & fervor from the Villa fans (at home) was incredible and obliterated Leicesters lot completely. There was more than enough passion from our fans there to rebuild my faith that we would more than have enough to see a decent Villa team win major honours again.

I was also there in 1980-82 on the Holte when it was crazy & i think you are misreading 35 years of Doug Ellis led tiresomeness as a lack of passion & i can see why you could easily think that. That Leicester game & a few Last season too has proven to me the fan base is more than ready & capable of backing a successful Villa team once one emerges which i feel it will under these owners even if we dip back down to the Championship for a wee while again.

The passion you are talking about is still there it just needs the team to play some good stuff & consistently compete again against the top teams (For the whole game not just part of it like this season)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yup, I just can't believe how the PL continues to extend the inevitable.

Whitty has effectively declared social distancing measures will be around until the end of the year. Football is done for the foreseeable future and so it should be it really isn't important! 

I agree wholeheartedly. There is more important things for sure. Not missing football tbh that much. We all knew the game stinks but certain actions from cluns and certian players makes us feel its not important while this is going on.

There is absolutely no way you can have 22 players two linesmen a ref media police etc in a confined space like that.

Think the pl fa need to stop burying their heads in the sand and stop saying we hope to restart on this date and want to complete season and hear what alternative plans are in place if this cannot be fulfilled 

6 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Just on that thing about the passion of fans #Scarborough_Villan, i find it interesting that you use Leicester as an example. I was at the Villa v Leicester semi final earlier in the season when we knocked them out of the cup & got to Wembley. I assume you were not at that game? The passion & fervor from the Villa fans (at home) was incredible and obliterated Leicesters lot completely. There was more than enough passion from our fans there to rebuild my faith that we would more than have enough to see a decent Villa team win major honours again.

I was also there in 1980-82 on the Holte when it was crazy & i think you are misreading 35 years of Doug Ellis led tiresomeness as a lack of passion & i can see why you could easily think that. That Leicester game & a few Last season too has proven to me the fan base is more than ready & capable of backing a successful Villa team once one emerges which i feel it will under these owners even if we dip back down to the Championship for a wee while again.

The passion you are talking about is still there it just needs the team to play some good stuff & consistently compete again against the top teams (For the whole game not just part of it like this season)

That's why villa beat them.. because our atmosphere overwhelmed them. I agree.. it is there.. we just need it to be more consistent, even against lesser teams. If it's a league match, it matters.. regardless of the opponent. 

4 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

It's very different growing up in a small town (Scarborough) that has no big club for miles around. You pick, at primary school, based on sticker books, match of the day, etc. 

I'm the eldest of 5 lads. In birth order, we chose Villa, Newcastle, Man Utd, Leeds & Liverpool. 

I actually tried to convert to Scarborough, when I lived there. But to give an example, when the away keeper takes a goal kick, the fans shout "ohhh.. aaah, you s**t b*****d!". It wasn't like the thrill of a permier league game. 

Out of interest, do your brothers still follow Newcastle, Manchester United, Leeds and Liverpool, or have they resigned from being fans of those clubs as well? Have you also now successfully converted to another club and if so, to which one? :detect:

6 hours ago, useless said:

Had a look on a Leeds forum the other day to get the perspective of a set of fans that would want the season resumed, and was surprised to see them (or a lot of them) against the idea of a twenty-two team league next season, because they're desperate for us and Norwich to be relegated after 'shambolic' seasons, given their track record of ending seasons badly if they're promoted now without having to play another game they should be just grateful for that. Reading it all made me want a null and void of the season even more, as much as I don't think that that will happen... I don't think the twenty-two man league will happen either.

Most Neutrals would say both us and Norwich for the most part have been ok , just both poor at the back ..Shambolic isn't how I would describe the season ...it is how I would describe Leeds run in last year and their play off performance ..

Their are fingers being pointed now regarding letting the Liverpool /Athletico game go ahead , with that in mind the worry for the gov isnt the games themselves its stopping any fans a) going to the grounds in groups b) grouping up and peoples houses to watch the games.

6 hours ago, useless said:

Had a look on a Leeds forum the other day to get the perspective of a set of fans that would want the season resumed, and was surprised to see them (or a lot of them) against the idea of a twenty-two team league next season, because they're desperate for us and Norwich to be relegated after 'shambolic' seasons, given their track record of ending seasons badly if they're promoted now without having to play another game they should be just grateful for that. Reading it all made me want a null and void of the season even more, as much as I don't think that that will happen... I don't think the twenty-two man league will happen either.

My mate’s a Leeds fan. He was showing me their forum called Waccoe. Even he couldn’t believe how obsessed they are with us, we are talked about daily and even this site is visited frequently. Still fuming about how they bottled it last season it appears. 

• Thanks 1

For those whisky folk, picked up a bottle of this. Fancied something with a bit of smoke and this has a light smokiness to it, nice and sweet as well. Don’t like going as far as a laphroaig, which is like licking a 50 year old barbecue:

spacer.png