Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

4583 new confirmed cases and 618 deaths announced today.

So if you take each premier league squad, not the first eleven but the whole 25 players.  Put all those players from Liverpool, Man City, Villa and all the other 17 teams together....that’s a lot of people right.  500 in total...add another 118 people to that and that’s how many people died TODAY!

By the end of the weekend we are likely to beat 20,000 UK deaths...that’s enough people to fill almost half of Villa Park.  Imagine that!

Yet some in the game think we are going to finish the season any time in the near future ie the next few months.

Bonkers!

1 hour ago, useless said:

This tweet says that the premier league can't just decide to void relegation without the agreement from the EFL...

Which if true probably means it won't happen, as I'm not sure why the EFL would agree to it.

By holding out too long, I imagine more than 45 out of the 72 clubs will go to the wall. A lot of clubs in League 1 and 2 dont want to play for this reason

6 hours ago, sne said:

Perhaps if the PL offered a monetary incentive? Guess the PL will have to weigh it against how much money they'd be sued for by the teams who were relegated from a unfinished season.

I've no idea. There is no good solution to any of this.

An Act of Parliament can give the PL immunity from being sued.

Of course they’ll have to give the Tories something in return, but I see that as the way this plays out.

12 hours ago, useless said:

They're not saying they want to complete the season now and put people at risk, they want to complete the season whenever it's deemed safe to do so.

Dude, I've woken up all realistic - I have a sneaky feeling you'll be proved right in this - I can just see the league being ended and places awarded on an average points per game plan. We'd obviously sue, but maybe it's pointless, given we'd be arguing against an act of god and places awarded on merit - could be very difficult to make a legal case against that and anyway it'd be years to reach a conclusion meanwhile championship here we come. Gutting as that would be. 

I just don't understand how the efl could sue the pl if they null and void the season. What would their argument in court be against the pl? They can't blame the pl for not being able to finish the season, how are the culpable? They’re not allowed to play matches until the Government changes the rules and there will be a date, either because of player’s contracts ending or the impact of future seasons/tournaments that will deem it impossible to complete the season. Even if they thought they had a case would they have the money to sue the pl?
Also, if the pl can't be concluded then there's no way the efl can finish all of their fixtures. They might not be able to even if the pl does,  they haven't got the same resources. How do they decide who gets promoted then? That’s the time when the law suits will arise, by clubs who have had decisions made against based upon forecasts or table as it stands scenarios. Then there would be an argument about fairness.

Lots of sensible points from Gary Neville:

“An employer can not put his employees at risk based on health and safety grounds and there will be a liability issue for employers," Neville added. "As a Salford City owner I’ve got players with diabetes, I’ve got players with asthma.

“Am I going to put them on a football field and risk their health and safety for a game of football? And the answer is quite simply no. So I’m not sure how Premier League clubs are going to get round it, this testing thing is a nonsense, it really is.

There’s no way the Premier League can sell to the public that they are going to have access to tens of thousands of tests, while frontline workers haven’t got them.”

• Like 3

Apparently the Premier league have agreed to a dealine of July 1st to complete the season, same story is also saying that the EFL are demanding three teams be relegated from the premier league and three promoted from the championship even if the season can't be completed, apparently there's some legal agreement that this has to happen.

Edited by useless
By apparently I mean according to quotes I've seen from an article in the sun.

13 hours ago, sne said:

Perhaps if the PL offered a monetary incentive? Guess the PL will have to weigh it against how much money they'd be sued for by the teams who were relegated from a unfinished season.

I've no idea. There is no good solution to any of this.

If nobody gets relegated then surely the parachute money will be available to hand out to the Championship clubs.  I'm not sure how much that is exactly but I suspect it would be a decent amount even split amongst all of them.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, terrytini said:

I got made redundant, quit drinking and smoking years ago, and live with the missus.

So, a complete blank for me.

No work related stress, more healthy and if you love your missus you’ve got it made Terry 😀

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If nobody gets relegated then surely the parachute money will be available to hand out to the Championship clubs.  I'm not sure how much that is exactly but I suspect it would be a decent amount even split amongst all of them.  

That’s a very good idea, except the Premiership has a fairly consistent policy on grabbing every penny and hanging on to it. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

Apparently the Premier league have agreed to a dealine of July 1st to complete the season, same story is also saying that the EFL are demanding three teams be relegated from the premier league and three promoted from the championship even if the season can't be completed, apparently there's some legal agreement that this has to happen.

Yeah likely to be get out clauses for the PL.  For example EFL will be promoting on sporting merit/arbitrary placing not completing season.  EFL will also have their own legal challenges, especially for the third promoted place as all playoff places and down to at least 11th have a reasonable claim on the 3rd promoted team via the playoffs.  Even we were promoted from 5th place.

There is talk of premier league buying 28,000 testing kits to try to finish season.

With all its power and wealth the premier league can do these things.What  about the lower leagues ?They can’t possibly finish the season so who gets promoted and relegated from those leagues?If that doesn’t happen how can teams be promoted from the championship ?

I can’t see games being played even behind closed doors until Nov.

Can you promote and relegate teams on partiallly finished season?I don’t think so .

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It's grotesque and an insult to our NHS that the Premier League can buy such testing kits. A PR disaster on many levels if they go through with it, my sympathy for them, however, remains non-existent.

Also it's alright doing the tests but what if several players test positive?  Surely you can't play certain matches anyway so shoehorning as many games as possible in a short period won't work.