Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Sun front page headline states the Premier League season will be completed behind closed doors and includes the useless claim that the games will restart ‘within weeks’. Fails to clarify how many weeks. 2 weeks? 12 weeks? 22 weeks? It’s anyone’s guess so it’s a nothing claim.

The Premier League will be pressuring the Government to allow behind doors games with the offer of free to air TV games. Unfortunately I don’t trust this government to resist the temptation of being able to say they improved English public morale by giving them free TV football.

Will there be a public backlash against staging what many see as 92 non essential leisure events, each involving the close contact of a few dozen people that unnecessarily utilises medical staff?

Will there be civil disorder issues between police and the fans who fail to resist being near the stadia during the 92 remaining games?

Assuming the proposal completes the 19/20 PL season, what will decide the promotion and relegation from the EFL leagues if they don’t have to play any more games?

Without the hyped atmosphere provided by crowds, is there a danger that the viewing public will see the game for what it is and not the over valued product it masquerades as?

• Like 2

Just read that the Dutch are planning to VOID there seasons, maybe if one starts others will follow.

I cant stand the idea of this points system crap, it's not only unreasonable but it's completely daft to do it that way. Yeah we failed upto the point of our last game and we need to acknowledge that and get it right next time. That though doesn't mean it's fair to just go and send three clubs down from the premier as is with the other league's, yet it is also unfair to not promote the ones who would of gained promotion.

The only outcome I see is to extend each league for a season or indefinitely and I'd enjoy seeing the premier league increase in size.

It's no secret we got our signings wrong, especially the forward lines excluding Samatta. We need to sign players who are first teamers for a reason and not flops, or players who are out of a team for one reason or another. We have really messed up by buying players with no experience as well. We would of done ourselves a favour in first place by spending money more wisely.

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

If the season is voided I don't see Leeds or West Brom have ANY chance of success in suing. 

We however 100% would if relegated. 

The way people are going on you would think Leeds and West Brom have a Liverpool sized lead in the Championship, I dont think they have actually guaranteed a play-off spot yet

• Like 4

3 hours ago, brommy said:

Sun front page headline states the Premier League season will be completed behind closed doors and includes the useless claim that the games will restart ‘within weeks’. Fails to clarify how many weeks. 2 weeks? 12 weeks? 22 weeks? It’s anyone’s guess so it’s a nothing claim.

The Premier League will be pressuring the Government to allow behind doors games with the offer of free to air TV games. Unfortunately I don’t trust this government to resist the temptation of being able to say they improved English public morale by giving them free TV football.

Will there be a public backlash against staging what many see as 92 non essential leisure events, each involving the close contact of a few dozen people that unnecessarily utilises medical staff?

Will there be civil disorder issues between police and the fans who fail to resist being near the stadia during the 92 remaining games?

Assuming the proposal completes the 19/20 PL season, what will decide the promotion and relegation from the EFL leagues if they don’t have to play any more games?

Without the hyped atmosphere provided by crowds, is there a danger that the viewing public will see the game for what it is and not the over valued product it masquerades as?

I am sure the TV providers will be chuffed to throw the BBC some free games

though your last point is very interesting and is very possible, I am a football fan and I hate watching behind closed doors games, how will the casual fan that Sky go for be entertained by these friendly game atmosphere

If they really want to cancel sesson then i think fairest way to decide promotion relegation is to have the top three of the championship vs the bottom three in either a one off game or two legged at each home ground so for example

Norwich would play Leeds 

We would play Wba

Bournmouth would play Fulham

If it was two legged second leg would be for the pl side

The winners of those games get pl place

Think this is a much fairer process if your cancelling a season 

• Like 1

Since the Premier League started how many of the bottom 3 with 10 games to go have been relegated? There are to my mind a few so who is to say at least one of the bottom 3 would avoid the drop but we are going to relegate you.

Cricket have no firm date for starting and that is a sport you could run with social distancing on the field but as it's also a spectator sport that has not begun yet. Football should be the same 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Since the Premier League started how many of the bottom 3 with 10 games to go have been relegated? There are to my mind a few so who is to say at least one of the bottom 3 would avoid the drop but we are going to relegate you.

Cricket have no firm date for starting and that is a sport you could run with social distancing on the field but as it's also a spectator sport that has not begun yet. Football should be the same 

Exactly.  I was wondering the same thing the other day, we would be getting back probably our second best player from injury plus several games against rivals, more home than away games plus a game in hand.  Under those circumstances I reckon there are several teams that managed to get out of the bottom 3 with 10 games left especially when there is just the odd point in it.  I don't see how they can possibly just relegate 3 teams based on the league now and I don't see the PL teams voting to do that either.  'Electing' Liverpool as champions on the other hand I can see happening.

What I think will happen is the government will eventually ban sporting events til at least August and make the PL decision for them, which I suspect is what they really want.  The league will be frozen, Liverpool elected champions, no relegation, 2 teams invited from the Championship thus leaving the decision to the Football League as to who they will be, the parachute money spread amongst the Championship, more live games for Sky and BT next season to make up for what they've missed out on, all player and sponsorship contracts changing on July 1 can be fulfilled, the players get a full pre-season as lockdown measures get gradually eased and testing is more widely available.  Possibly the season starts behind closed doors or reduced capacity.  I think doing that protects just about everybody.

• Like 1

With the latest news that The North Stand executive boxes are to be used as a Midwife support and a Super-duper maternity support for expectant mothers, I think it's safe to say that this season is probably finished one way or the other.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You missed the point!" - Imgur

Had this been 5 years ago this would have been a heat map, but in these Covid-19 days a exponential graph was the obvious choice.

Edited by sne

They say it would be good for morale  if the restart and finish the season BCD. I don't know about anyone else but the thought that football could be played at VP without being allowed to go will feel horrible.  And having it free to view as well would that mean they will refund a third of my season ticket then?

Edited by The Fun Factory

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

They say it would be good for moral if the restart and finish the season BCD. I don't know about anyone else but the thought that football could be played at VP without being allowed to go will feel horrible.  And having it free to view as well would that mean they will refund a third of my season ticket then?

I genuinely cant see some players arsed as well, at least 10 Premier League teams have nothing to play for so why would they bother trying in such conditions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If they really want to cancel sesson then i think fairest way to decide promotion relegation is to have the top three of the championship vs the bottom three in either a one off game or two legged at each home ground so for example

Norwich would play Leeds 

We would play Wba

Bournmouth would play Fulham

If it was two legged second leg would be for the pl side

The winners of those games get pl place

Think this is a much fairer process if your cancelling a season 

Why Fulham? 3rd place team doesnt automatically get promoted. 

So a team (Fulham) that has played 80% of it's league games and if stays there, has historically on average a 37% chance of playoff promotion (championship %) gets the chance of playing a team (Bournemouth) who are level on points, one goal difference different from safety and usually have another quarter of it's games to remedy that situation.

That's not fair at all

playoffs.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Just let the teams with a game in hand finish their game and then just end it.

This is the way to go, Sheffield Utd should play us at Villa Park behind closed doors.