Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

49 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Guys, there is literally no way in hell the season will continue at any stage. Loads more players will become infected in the next few days/weeks.

We've been saved.

ITSOTP!  Will not jump for joy that we have been saved until officially confirmed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I have about decent amount on Liverpool to win the league, I can't possibly get screwed out of this win surely.

(I know this is VillaTalk but it is the PL thread 😝)

i've just put a tenner on Norwich to stay up at 9/1 but i reckon relegation bets will be voided if the season is cancelled. liverpool winning the league you may get some bookies paying out as goodwill gestures

So as it looks at the moment we are likely to face a summer 10 (11) game mini season to survive. Sadly it looks like they are determined one way or another to see this wretched season concluded. For me, with the abomination that is VAR having also had a bearing on it (especially with us as we all know), they should just write it off, spend the time reviewing & correcting the issues with VAR & start it again from scratch next time out whenever that may be.

10 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

So as it looks at the moment we are likely to face a summer 10 (11) game mini season to survive. Sadly it looks like they are determined one way or another to see this wretched season concluded. For me, with the abomination that is VAR having also had a bearing on it (especially with us as we all know), they should just write it off, spend the time reviewing & correcting the issues with VAR & start it again from scratch next time out whenever that may be.

I don’t think their decision today suggests that anything. Even Italy just stopped it. To cancel the whole thing will still take more time. They need to go through this process to cancel it otherwise they’ll have a bigger legal claims.

Teams I think would be happy to void the whole season:

Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Norwich, Villa, Watford, Brighton, Bournemouth & West Ham.

Teams I think would be happy to end the season in current league position:

Liverpool, Man City, Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, Sheffield United, Burnley, Palace, Everton, Newcastle, Southampton, Brighton, West Ham & Watford

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Cancel the season they will have angry scousers and Liverpool fans in general rioting across the country. I honestly believe that would happen.

I met a Liverpool friend couple of days ago, told him it's too late now for you to Liverpool it. Now it seems that it can get Liverpooled a way or another.

Anyway I think the FA will find a way to give it to them (if no regulation was written what happens in these circumstances).

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I met a Liverpool friend couple of days ago, told him it's too late now for you to Liverpool it. Now it seems that it can get Liverpooled a way or another.

Anyway I think the FA will find a way to give it to them (if no regulation was written what happens in these circumstances).

Even so, there'll always be an asterisk to this title win.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

If (when) the league is voided, they wouldnt be able to claim anything even if they had already mathematically won it. Void means exactly that.

This would never happen but if another ball is not kicked this season and the FA "give" the title to Liverpool, they and their title would be a complete laughing stock. It would be like Scotland claiming to be World Champions after the beat England in 1967 or Leeds calling themselves Champions of Europe after Bayern robbed them. No-one would acknowledge it or respect it and would be a running joke for a long long time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

If (when) the league is voided, they wouldnt be able to claim anything even if they had already mathematically won it. Void means exactly that.

This would never happen but if another ball is not kicked this season and the FA "give" the title to Liverpool, they and their title would be a complete laughing stock. It would be like Scotland claiming to be World Champions after the beat England in 1967 or Leeds calling themselves Champions of Europe after Bayern robbed them. No-one would acknowledge it or respect it and would be a running joke for a long long time.

They might come to a conclusion to keep positions as it is without relegation. Without voiding it.

The peak of this virus is predicted to be 10-14wks time, that’d take us well into June. That’s far too late to complete the season. Today is the 1st time I’ve honestly started thinking that the season could be voided. I think the powers that be will soon be discussing how/where to distribute money as fairly as possible. There will have to be exceptions to FFP, and no doubt solidarity payments from the premier league. 

I think that suspending until April is a very good decision.

It will give the clubs time to figure something out in a situation where no decision will be a good one.

But the only reasonable decision would be to cancel the season. It is not possible for them to award championships or relegate clubs unlawfully.

OR it will finally give the PL an excuse to play behind closed doors in Doha or Dubai for millions and millions of football starved fans to enjoy for a moderate price of £19.99 per game. 

Edited by Mic09

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

OR it will finally give the PL an excuse to play behind closed doors in Doha or Dubai for millions and millions of football starved fans to enjoy for a moderate price of £19.99 per game. 

Don’t give them any ideas...

48 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

In most seasons i'd agree, but they're 25 points ahead and their nearest rival (the only club who can mathematically catch them) has 30 points to play for. I hate Liverpool as much as anyone but the greatest injustice that could come out of this is that a club in such a dominant position has a rightful title taken away. It'd be awful for the sport. As soon as the rest of the season is officially cancelled (and it will be), Man City should come out and congratulate Liverpool on their title. It's the fair and sporting thing to do.

"Voiding" the season is the wrong way of putting it. Are we pretending the games never happened? So games, goals, assists, milestones all stricken from the record? Ridiculous. It's unfair to relegate clubs in the thick of a relegation battle with 10 games left, but the idea that Liverpool shouldn't be given a trophy even if they'd had the league mathematically sewn up? Irrational and silly.

They'll already miss out on being able to lift the trophy in front of their fans, but they're the rightful champions and if the rest of the season is cancelled they should be given the title. It'd be totally different if they were 5 points up, but they're 25 points up.

• Like 3

We could start next season so every club has the same first ten fixtures that they would have had for their final ten fixtures this season, so if say Liverpool win twenty five points from their first ten fixtures then add it to their total for this season, and award them this season's title. or if they lose their first ten games and Man City win all theirs then award them the title.

You could do the same with championship, every club plays the same first ten fixtures that they were due to play for their final ten fixtures this season and add what ever points they get onto this 2019/20 season's total and then see how the league looks, If Leeds and Albion are top two then promote them in what would be the 2021/22 season, along with whoever finishes top two in the 2020/21 season.

Something bugging me that I've not seen anyone else mention - we are all talking about the potential for drawing stumps, divvying the money, denying promotions etc. but surely Sky/BT/Whoever have splahsed out untold millions for X number of games. If the season ended now, they're losing, what, 10-11 weeks of broadcast football. That's got to hurt financially surely, and therefore the pot of money being divvied out this/next season must be reduced? Therefore affecting FFP for clubs who've budgeted and also might prevent any parachute payments etc. should they actually relegate anyone.

I really really don't envy the bods deceasing this. They are going to get screwed and screw over a bunch of clubs no matter what they do.