Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

In most seasons i'd agree, but they're 25 points ahead and their nearest rival (the only club who can mathematically catch them) has 30 points to play for. I hate Liverpool as much as anyone but the greatest injustice that could come out of this is that a club in such a dominant position has a rightful title taken away. It'd be awful for the sport. As soon as the rest of the season is officially cancelled (and it will be), Man City should come out and congratulate Liverpool on their title. It's the fair and sporting thing to do.

All this may be true but its completely irrelevant. Them having a big lead has no bearing on anything. If the PL cancel the season then the league wasn't completed so there can be no relegation and no champions. The competition effectively didn't exist. Its hard on Liverpool but **** them quite frankly.

At this point, IMO the best we can hope for is next season starting on time in August. The idea of this season being completed in any capacity is a pipe dream.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

All this may be true but its completely irrelevant. Them having a big lead has no bearing on anything. If the PL cancel the season then the league wasn't completed so there can be no relegation and no champions. The competition effectively didn't exist. Its hard on Liverpool but **** them quite frankly.

At this point, IMO the best we can hope for is next season starting on time in August. The idea of this season being completed in any capacity is a pipe dream.

That's just one set of terms the season could be cancelled on though. The season did happen. Players scored and assisted goals. Teams won, drew and lost. These things don't just get wiped from the record books. It'll be recorded as a pandemic affected season, not a season that didn't happen at all.

They could theoretically decide to freeze the league where it is and rank the clubs from 1-20 on points accrued per game, and then relegate us. I think we'd sue, but they could try that on. They could do any number of things.

I don't think they'll void the entire season, I think they'll likely cancel the rest of the fixtures and then made decisions about things like the Champion, European places and relegation (or no relegation) the fairest way they possibly can to avoid angst.

12 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

That's just one set of terms the season could be cancelled on though. The season did happen. Players scored and assisted goals. Teams won, drew and lost. These things don't just get wiped from the record books. It'll be recorded as a pandemic affected season, not a season that didn't happen at all.

They could theoretically decide to freeze the league where it is and rank the clubs from 1-20 on points accrued per game, and then relegate us. I think we'd sue, but they could try that on. They could do any number of things.

I don't think they'll void the entire season, I think they'll likely cancel the rest of the fixtures and then made decisions about things like the Champion, European places and relegation (or no relegation) the fairest way they possibly can to avoid angst.

No, if the season cannot be completed, they will cancel it. You cannot finish a competition early when all teams havent played each other home and away. It's impossible. The amount of worms that can opens is off the scale. Cancelling and voiding everything is hard on some, relieves others but is equally fair (or unfair). Whereas any other solution is not. The stats can still count, who really cares about that?

Its happened before

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

No, if the season cannot be completed, they will cancel it. You cannot finish a competition early when all teams havent played each other home and away. It's impossible. The amount of worms that can opens is off the scale. Cancelling and voiding everything is hard on some, relieves others but is equally fair (or unfair). Whereas any other solution is not. The stats can still count, who really cares about that?

Its happened before

If the season is abandoned, never thought I'd say it, I'd feel really sorry for Leeds - they get their chance to get back into the Premiership after what seems like a lifetime of them being nearly there and along comes Coronavirus to stop them.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Cancel the season they will have angry scousers and Liverpool fans in general rioting across the country. I honestly believe that would happen.

So that'll be toilet roll, face masks and black armbands sold out.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Its happened before

The 1939-40 season was abandoned after 3 games. If we were 3 games into this season a total abandonment would be an obvious choice, fair to everyone, and no club is meaningfully more disadvantaged than any other.

It's not nearly as fair when one club has a 25 point gap on top with 9 games to play, mere days away from the title being mathematically confirmed. Imagine if that were us. It's manifestly unfair to Liverpool, way over and above how unfair it is to anyone else in the league and completely not in the spirit of organised sport. It's the league administration equivalent of one of those goals chalked off by VAR because a player who didn't touch the ball had a fraction of a centimetre of a heel offside in the build up play.

• Like 2

I wouldn't rule them out just deciding that the league tables will stand as they are now, so the current three get relegated and Liverpool are awarded the title. Maybe the teams that have games in hand can play those games if possible, would be more doable than playing out the whole season at least, meaning win our game in hand against Sheffield United at home to survive.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

The 1939-40 season was abandoned after 3 games. If we were 3 games into this season a total abandonment would be an obvious choice, fair to everyone, and no club is meaningfully more disadvantaged than any other.

It's not nearly as fair when one club has a 25 point gap on top with 9 games to play, mere days away from the title being mathematically confirmed. Imagine if that were us. It's manifestly unfair to Liverpool, way over and above how unfair it is to anyone else in the league and completely not in the spirit of organised sport. It's the league administration equivalent of one of those goals chalked off by VAR because a player who didn't touch the ball had a fraction of a centimetre of a heel offside in the build up play.

As I keep saying, fair has nothing to do with it.

If three teams were on level points from 1st to 3rd you would probably say "well its fair enough to cancel" but because Liverpool are well clear, you thinks its harsh on them. That logic is ludicrous. Either the season is finished or its voided. It's that black and white.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't rule them out just deciding that the league tables will stand as they are now, so the current three get relegated and Liverpool are awarded the title. Maybe the teams that have games in hand can play those games if possible, would be more doable than playing out the whole season at least, meaning win our game in hand against Sheffield United at home to survive.

Dear...

Don't know if i could bare to watch it

I've already found the best solution to decide the title race if this season is cancelled, Liverpool's final nine games were due to be against Everton, Palace, Man CIty, Aston Villa, Brighton, Burnley, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Newcastle... Just have those fixtures as their first nine games for next season, and if say they get 22 points from those games, just add those 22 points to this season's table which would give them 104 points, and then award them the title for the 2019/20 season.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I've already found the best solution to decide the title race if this season is cancelled, Liverpool's final nine games were due to be against Everton, Palace, Man CIty, Aston Villa, Brighton, Burnley, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Newcastle... Just have those fixtures as their first nine games for next season, and if say they get 22 points from those games, just add those 22 points to this season's table which would give them 104 points, and then award them the title for the 2019/20 season.

Nah, different teams, different players, etc. best just to not let them have it.

Here is my suggestion for a fair way to resolve the league, it'll never fly but just for fun...

Split the league in two as it stands, top half and bottom half (kind of like in Scotland) to effectively produce 2 mini leagues. Results from games you've played against teams in the other half of the table are voided. Results from opponents in your own half stand, then you complete unplayed fixtures against those in your half. This should reduce everyone to only needing to play 3 or 4 games each which could be done over a 2 week period. So in Villa's case, they would only play their games against Newcastle, Palace, Everton  and West Ham. 

Liverpool should still romp the top half and others would still have a crack at gaining the European spots, the relegation scrap would also be interesting.

Feel free to pitch the idea to the FA 😜

Oh, I've got no idea how Villa would be standing in such an eventuality, I'm too lazy to do the math! But if we are bottom 3 in a league of the bottom half of the PL we deserve to go down!

The easiest and fairest way is:

League positions as it is,

Liverpool win the League. First couple of teams to Europe. No relegation. Promote top 2 Championship.

Games in hand to be played (to decide where will Sheff Utd or Arsenal be in terms of European places). Or Villa to change their place.

That would make everyone happy apart from The Scum or Dingles. (And Man Utd if we lost to Sheff Utd, where they go to CL, and Liverpool win the league, and Leeds goes up).

Edited by abdulaziz1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Suprised norwich us and bournmouth didnt vote for that tbh. 

In my view if the games cannot be restarted by middle of may they have to cancel this season

Judging by the rate of spread  it will be all over within a month,  good for us to re group amd rebuild confidence.. 

49 minutes ago, useless said:

Isn't our game in hand against Chelsea? Or have I missed something?

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Isn't our game in hand against Chelsea? Or have I missed something?

Nah because everyone else would have played too so we would still have a game in hand. It’s the Sheffield United game they had to reschedule because of final.

• Thanks 1

No if our game in hand was Chelsea then that would mean everyone in the league would have a game in hand, it would actually mean we have two games in hand. As it stands we've played 28 games when most other teams have played 29 games, the reason for that is our home game against Sheffield United was called of because we reached the League cup final.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah because everyone else would have played too so we would still have a game in hand. It’s the Sheffield United game they had to reschedule because of final.

Ah ok, I get it now.

I was thinking that, us being the only team with a game in hand, would mean we would play that game and that would be it.

Although I've now realised that would make no sense as well as Chelsea will have played 30 games. ( I assumed Chelsea had a game in hand as well)

My bad lol.